Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Part C Coverage Confusion

I have a Medicare Advantage plan but I'm confused about some things associated with these plans. As I understand it, Part C is supposed to cover everything that Part A and Part B covers.

However, when I go to get certain vaccinations from my pharmacy like the Flu shot or Pneumonia shot, they insist on using my Medicare card and do not want the Advantage card.

So I don't get it. If they want my Medicare card, that means Medicare covers it, so my Advantage plan should cover it too, right?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Medicare Part B pays for one flu shot in each flu season, which typically runs from November through April, regardless of whether you’re enrolled in the original Medicare program or in a Medicare Advantage plan.

If you’re in original Medicare, the shot is free (no deductible, no copay) if you have it administered by a doctor or pharmacist who accepts Medicare assignment — that is, has agreed to accept the Medicare-approved payment as full reimbursement for providing this service.

If you’re in a Medicare Advantage plan (such as an HMO or PPO), the shot is still free. But you may be required to have it administered by a doctor who is in the plan’s provider network.

So your problem can be solved by going to one of your in-network medical providers - preferably, your primary care physician.  

Pharmacist aren't normally in a medical provider network which MA plans have.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP