Contributor

Medicare part B payment

I am retiring at the end of this month with Part B starting September 1. I asked for the part B money to come out of my SS money automatically . Yesterday I received a bill for $433.80 for the first 3 months. I called SS and the person I spoke with said to ignore and when I get my first payment in October they would take double to pay for September and October.

The issue is a friend is retiring the same day and he called SS with the same question and was told to only pay for September so $144.60 and then automatic payments will begin.

We really don't want to mess this up but with SS giving 2 different answers not sure and I assume this is a very common occurrence so thoughts?

Thanks Ivan

Conversationalist

Medicare bills in advance.

Your bill pays for next month's coverage (and future months if you get the bill every 3 months). Your bill lists the dates you're paying for.

Example
If you get a bill each month, the bill you get in April is for May coverage. If you get a bill every 3 months, the bill you get in April is for May, June, and July coverage.

Your bill may also include premiums for past months if you missed a payment, if you're getting your first bill, or if you had a change in your premium amount. Learn more about what may change the amount of a Part A premium, Part B premium, or Part D premium.

Follow the instructions on the bill to pay the total amount due, so Medicare gets your payment by the 25th of the month. To pay your bill, you can:

Log in to your secure MyMedicare.gov account (or create an account) to pay by credit card or debit card

Sign up for Medicare Easy Pay, a free service that automatically deducts your premium payments from your savings or checking account each month

See if your bank offers an online bill payment service to pay electronically from your savings or checking account

Mail your payment by check, money order, credit card, or debit card (using the coupon on your bill)

Note
To pay through your secure MyMedicare.gov account, you'll need:

A copy of your Medicare bill to enter the amount you owe
Your credit or debit card information
You'll get a confirmation number when you make your payment. Your credit/debit card statement will show a payment made to "CMS Medicare." You can't set up payments automatically each month — you'll need to log into your account each time you need to pay your premium.

https://www.medicare.gov/forms-help-resources/mail-you-get-about-medicare/medicare-premium-bill-cms-...

If the box in the upper right corner says It means Do this

This is not a billYou signed up for Medicare Easy Pay. Your premium payment will be automatically deducted from your bank account around the 20th of each month.You don’t need to do anything.
First BillThis is your very first bill, or you’ve paid your last bill in full.Send in payment for the total amount due. Medicare must get your payment by the bill's due date or it's considered late.
Second BillMedicare didn’t get your full payment by the due date shown on the First Bill. (The payment is late by at least 60 days.)Send in payment for the total amount due by the bill's due date.
Delinquent BillMedicare didn’t get your full payment by the due date shown on the Second Bill. (The payment is late by at least 90 days.) If you don't pay the total amount due, you'll lose your Medicare coverage.Send in payment for the total amount due by the bill's due date so that you don’t lose your Medicare coverage. This is the last bill you’ll get.

All Medicare bills are due on the 25th of the month. In most cases, your premium is due the same month that you get the bill. For example, Medicare runs the bill for April on March 27th. You'll get the bill in early April, and it's due on April 25th.

What if my premium payment is late?

If your First Bill payment is late, you'll get a Second Bill. Your Second Bill will include both past amounts and next month's premium. If you don’t pay the total amount due by the 25th of the month, you'll get a Delinquent Bill. If you get a Delinquent Bill and you don’t pay your total amount due by the 25th of the month, you’ll lose your Medicare coverage.

What if I have questions about my bill or the status of my coverage?

Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778)

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/pay-part-a-part-b-premiums

Bark less. Wag more.