Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Medicare Supplement Plan Question

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to help a relative sign up for Medicare A & B and have been trying to figure out the best supplement for her. She just lost her company healthcare.

From the info I'm finding online it appears that C and F are going away as of 2020.

Unfortunately she has a pre-existing condition and it seems that Supplement-G may be the next best choice. 

Is there anyone out there that is currently enrolled in Plan-G? Any pros and cons for someone with a pre-existing condition.

Thanks for any info.

Periodic Contributor

Do NOT choose Plan F. Plan G IS the better choice.

The only difference between F and G is F covers your Medicare deductible ($195 this year) as well. When I compared annual premiums for 2020 (I'll be 68) annual premiums for F where far greater then what they saved you ($195)

Also with F going away, it's premiums will increase as people leave it and with no new people coming the F population will age and cost the plan more which get passed along to the people in the plan.

Plus, in all but 4 states, you may have to go through medical underwriting to switch plans. 

Best to start on F not G

"Best to start on F not G"? Is that you meant?

0 Kudos
Contributor

For those currently in a AARP UHC supplement plan you will be getting shafted on your enrollment rates going forward ( if you joined within few years )   I joined at 66 in Jan of 2019, my enrollment discount was 33% and this year will drop to 30% , then each year another 3%. Those enrolling in at age 65 in 2020 will get a 39 % discount , which stays that way for four more years. At age 70 the discount will be 33 % , mine at age 70 will be 21%. Thanks AARP for shafting your current members. Maybe time to change.

Contributor

for those current members , your discount goes off the 2019 discount rates ( 36 , 33 , 30 , 27 , 24 , 21 and so on ) , only a new enrollee will get the better discount rates of 39 , 39 , 39 , 39 , 36 , 33 , 30 , 27 and so on 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You should speak with a licensed agent that specializes in Medicare to go over all the options.  I would be more than happy to answer any and all questions that you might have. My number 1 priority is educating you on how Medicare works.

Contributor

You can apply for Medicare Supplement Insurance during open enrollment. Open enrollment includes a six-month period from the date you enrolled in Medicare Part B if age 65 or older, or up to six-month after you turn 65 if you were eligible for Part B benefits before age 65.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You are setting people on the right path to getting real help. I would add one additional comment. If you are not licensed in all 50 States a person should talk with the local expert before making a final decision. They can always get some help from their local AARP in doing that.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP