Medicare After Health Sharing Ministry

I am currently 62. When I retired two years ago, I joined a health sharing ministry and dropped my employer coverage. I plan on enrolling in Medicare when first eligible in three years. Since I will not have been covered by insurance during that five year period, are there any restrictions or "gotcha"s related to signing up for Medicare and Medigap, and receiving full coverage under those plans?

Kudos
Views
Replies
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@MichaelS37672 

Medicare Part A alone or A and B at the same time

NOTE - Ideal time is 3 months BEFORE your 65th birthday

You can apply online for Medicare even if you are not ready to retire. Use our online application to sign up for Medicare. It takes less than 10 minutes. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you’re done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if we need more information. Otherwise, you’ll receive your Medicare card in the mail. Learn more about your Medicare card.
Apply for Medicare Only
https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/

You may also enroll by phone if you wish.

Call us at 1-800-772-1213 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You'll be fine. I would call Medicare a few months before your 65th birthday if you aren't already on Social Security to ensure you get coverage as soon as you're eligible. When you have Social Security income, you'll automatically be enrolled in Medicare. Some Medigap plans let you pre-enroll in a policy 6-3 months before the Part B effective date. The Medigap plan would go into effect the same day as your Part B. Since you're in the Medigap Open Enrollment Period, you'll be guaranteed acceptance into a Medicare Supplement policy. You'll also want to sign up for Part D to cover your medications.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Try the new AARP Perks browser tool! Get timely reminders about AARP resources, discounts, and other member benefits as you browse online. Install AARP Perks now.

AARP Perks

Members Can Play More

Membership unlocks free online games and puzzles including classic Atari Games. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health