Contributor

Health Care Costs

I was admitted to the hospital May 24, 2019 for a very serious case of cellulitus.  I went to ICU for about a week, then recovery for another week.  Then was transferred to a rehab facility for 2 weeks.  Then three weeks later the blistered wounds were not getting any better, so they readmitted me to the same hospital.  Three days later I had surgery to remove fluid, and basiclly clean out any fluids that remained, causing pain.  Two days later I was transferred to another rehab facility.  My problem is that Medicare has run its course of payment to the facility, so i am now picking up the tab, at $2000.00 per week.  I do not qualify for Medicaid, since I have a bank account, at least for now.  The only thing I am here for is wound care, and the Primary care physician will not sign a release.  I can leave, but only by AMA(Against Medical Advise).  Is there any other safe course of action I can take without risking my health?  Or am I destined to be bankrupted by this process?

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Billy5491  "My problem is that Medicare has run its course of payment to the facility, so i am now picking up the tab, at $2000.00 per week."

Original Medicare pays all inpatient costs, except for the Part A deductible for the first 60 days.

For days 61 throuh 90 Medicare pays all but $341 per day.

After day 90 you have 60 reserve days, Medicare pays all but $682 per day.

After that you have 365 lifetime reserve days. Medicare pays nothing.

If you have Medigap plan F or G it will pay the $341 per day, $682 per day and 100% of eligible expenses during your lifetime reserve.

Which Medicare supplement plan do you have?

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health