Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Enrolled in AARP UHC Supplemental Plan - Is AARP membership required in succeeding years?

Contributor

Enrolled in AARP UHC Supplemental Plan - Is AARP membership required in succeeding years?

I have been enrolled in an AARP-UHC Supplemental Plan in NJ for almost a year now. I have never used and don't anticipate using any of the AARP membership benefits. What happens if I don't renew my AARP membership - will it affect my AARP-UHC Supplement Plan?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I had a chat session with a UHC rep and was told I needed to maintain my AARP membership. I just decided to get the $45 (5-Year) renewal offer.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@IPLiz643355 

I doubt that they could cancel your Medigap policy because you dropped your membership - unless they actually ask you and your tell a fib.  There are only (2) ways that a Medigap policy can be cancelled by the insurer:

1.  NON payment of premiums

2.  You lie to them on the application (usually that is a medical related matter- including age)

Wonder if they actually do check AARP membership with long time policy holders.  Do you get asked the membership question when your Medigap anniversary rolls around each year?

Guess this relationship between AARP & UHC with these type policies aids a bit more involved than other Medicare insurance benefits (Medical Advantage plans) where you do NOT have to be a member to partake in this sort of policy.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

I do have doubts about what the UHC rep told me (could be just standard scripted reply). It is clearly stated in their FAQ that "You must be an AARP member to enroll in an AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance plan." The key word is "enroll" and since enrollment is only done once then I believe it's not required. However, the UHC rep kept repeating it is required so for my peace of mind I just bit the bullet and did the 5-year renewal. I have not had my AARP-UHC supplement plan for a full year yet but as far as I know I just have to keep paying my premium on time in order to keep the same plan.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

As long as I have been on this board - since 2008 - I have Never found the answer to that question.  The only thing I see is that you must be a member of AARP when you purchase an AARP/UHC Medigap policy.   Pass that, I have not a clue.  Think this is gonna have to come from the powers-that-be- at United Healthcare cause they have the control of the GAP policy and the renewals.

Let us know what you find out.  Maybe direct your inquiry to the AARP Membership & Benefits HELP board 

EDITED TO ADD:  Remember that you only purchase a Medigap plan one time, the rest of the years are renewals.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

From an article I've seen by Forbes.com - you can click here------> UnitedHealthcare Medicare Supplement Review (2023) โ€“ Forbes Health

( be sure to open the three FAQS menu - at the end, too )

It seems you may need to be an AARP member.

Currently you can 'renew for 5 years at $45 with their current promotion' = $9.00 per year.

At $45 this money can easily be 'recouped by earning easy points and redeeming for 'free gift cards of your choice in their AARP Rewards program' - if you have a little 'down-time/ free time' - this can be done.

๐Ÿ˜  To be sure, you should call AARP UHC Supplemental Plan's - their Customer Service with your specific question - to get the correct answer.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP