WATCH VIDEO: Friday's Iowa presidential candidate forum. Appearing are Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Not Sure Where To Start

Message 21 of 25

The 'label' --"RETIRED" is one to deal with. For both my wife and I, it has become a way to discover and re-discover old interests which were put asided in the child rearing/college years. Both our childrent are now out on their own, successfully pursuing their own careers, (One teaching school in another country!).

My wife has found new pleasure in volunteering in several schools (as a retired teacher), and helping in an ESL class! 

I recently joined the local Rotary chapter, and have made a whole new collection of friends, finding common interests and supporting the efforts to raise money for the charities which the Rotary supports.

It takes an effort to not just wind up sitting at home with tv AND internet and make an effort to get out of the house. Our local library has a simply impressive/amazing amount of resources and programs to take advantage of as well. 

Overcoming the 'stigma' of being a retiree is a challenge, but we have found the freedom of retirement has allowe us to 'spread' our wings in new and old familiar directions.

Hope this gives a few ideas to all who take the time to read this!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 25

Hello.

Perhaps sharing what geographical area you are from would be a start. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 25

I'm right there with you.  It is very hard to find someone to social with. If you get any advice pass them on to me. 

Barbara

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 25

i am the same ,companion and friendhship . been living on my own too long. i am active in             local groups and  a few online site.(not dating) i join our local aarp group a few years ago. also a reading group., i am avid reader and love to travel. with a book in hand someone always want to know what you're reading.  persue your hobbies and see who else is interested.. just as it is suggested that men go to the gym, women  should too. take your self out to dinner. there are some bar and grill that have good food, applebees and houlihan .you just got to start....

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views
Replies

Not Sure Where To Start

Message 25 of 25

I'm going to be sixty years old in two months, and I'm tired of living my life alone.  It's difficult, because I am introverted, so making friends doesn't come easy, it never has. I live in a small community, which makes my prospects of finding a male companion even more difficult! 

I'm really not looking to get married again, mostly because I have been living on my own for so long, I have become set in my ways, but I would love to find a gentleman to spend time with; maybe take in a movie now and then, or just have long intense conversations with.  Actually, I'm more of a listener than a talker, though I can hold my own when the topic is of interest.

I have tried dating sites, and have found nothing but intense disappointment.  It would seem that most of the men on these sites are looking for a one night stand, or to get all of your money.  I'm not into the "bar scene" so finding a place to meet other people is narrowed even farther.  My church is filled with married couples, which adds to my frustratoins.  If anyone out there has some earnest / honest suggestions as to where I can meet some decent gentlemen, I would be very graeful.

Kudos
Views
Replies