Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

Social Butterfly

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

I know it's the day after Valentines but what the heck. What movie do you feel is the perfect romance and why? I would have to say "Gone With the Wind". Funny because it was my mother's favorite too. I remember as a teen she took me to see it for the first time. Of course it didn't really do too much for me then. She also passed the book on to me. That was much better and after a few years I saw the movie again and now I understood the characters.

Pity crushing on Leslie Howard and Clark Gable when they've been gone for so long. But Clark Gable stood the test of time. Even compared to sex symbols of the present day...Clark as Rhett Butler, MWWWRRRROWWR. The thing I love about this movie besides the stars is it was the way great movies used to be. No shades of gray or people being crazed weasels. They left things to the audiences imagination.

Like when Rhett hauls Scarlett up that staircase, you just know the house was a rockin', they didn't have to be graphic. Scarlett all happy the next morning said it all. Yes the portrayal of blacks in this movie is an abomination...But just concentrating on Rhett and Scarlett...Oh and IMHO he does ultimately go back to her. They knew each other too well. He probably goes to town and Belle Watling talks him into going home.

So whats your favorite romance?

Periodic Contributor

I loved "The English Patient" by Michael Ondjaate  What a wonderfully moving tale about an English man Almasy (Ralph Fiennes) who is badly burned when his plane is shot down at the end of WWII and tells an adventurous tale of his prewar love affair with Katherine (Kristin Scott Thomas), a count's wife to  his Canadian nurse, Hana ( Juliette Binochet) and two others, a Canadian Intelligence Corps operative and a Sikh sapper (explosives engineer) in the British Army .  There is adventure, excellent flying scenes and a tear-your-heart-out ending.  Highly recommend!

Periodic Contributor

The Accidental Tourist

Honored Social Butterfly

Splendor in the Grass     Love it   it is a tear jerker for sure.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for pic from the movie somewhere in timeFor me, one of the most romantic movies ever made was ....

"Somewhere In Time" starring Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve both at their most lovely and handsome respectively.  The movie was a beautifully blended contemporary and  period piece.  It was filmed on Michigan's  picturesque MacKinac Island  where even today, time stands still.  I haven't seen this movie in years.  But I remember it fondly.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I like my romances with a little comedy in them: When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, 50 First Dates, Stardust, The Princess Bride, but for straight romance it has to be either Casablanca, Titanic or An Affair to Remember.  I vote for Casablanca.

Conversationalist

Out of Africa starring Robert Redford and Meryl Streep.

Contributor

My favorite....such a story and the acting and actors are pretty good too!
0 Kudos

The Prince of Tides always touches my heart.
Contributor

Romantic movies:

You've got mail

When Harry Met Sally

Funny Face

Lover Come Back

Pride and Prejudice- with colin firth

Love Actually

Contributor

The Way We Were
Contributor

I think the most romantic movie ever for me was GHOST.

PRETTY WOMAN

Love Story

An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr
Trusted Contributor

An Affair to remember was my all time favorite as well , until i saw Bridges of Madiso County., and '' Murphys  Romance.. Ofcourse  they're both about love between older  individuals, which i can relate to.

Contributor

Definitely Meryl Streep and Robert Redford in 'Out of Africa'.  I have watched this movie countless times and enjoy it every time.
I would also include 'Dr. Zhivago'.  I fell in love with that movie the first time I saw it and went back the next night to see it again.

Definitely two movies...GHOST and DIRTY DANCING. Ghost was unbelievably sexy in scenes where even though he was dead and sat behind his girlfriend and caressed her. Sue
Contributor

An Affair To Remember - Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr - what a movie - Ghost is a second.

Periodic Contributor

I really enjoyed Dr. Zhivago and that is a classic that will never get old.  Ghost was a really enjoyable modern film that was acted, directed, and produced so well.

Contributor

Love Story
Periodic Contributor

The graduate
Periodic Contributor

Titanic
Periodic Contributor

Pride and prejudice
Periodic Contributor

Gone with the wind
Periodic Contributor

Casablanca

Contributor

Bogie and Ingrid were truly in love ... Even so much to sacrafice that love for something higher.
Contributor

The Body Guard with Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner, Air Force One, Pretty Woman, Top Gun

We must be James Garner fans.

My wife thought of "Victor, Victoria."

I've always liked "The Americanization of Emily," though I think of it more as an idealistic anti-war film. 

Contributor

The Notebook
Periodic Contributor

Yes, The Notebook is wonderful, Casablanca is one of the best ever, but there is a wonderful movie called "The End of the Affair" with Ralph Fiennes and Julianne Moore.  Sooooo good.  And, also, in the musical category, don't forget West Side Story.  

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP