Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What Bucket List items have you achieved later in life?

Message 1 of 29

That is MOST wonderful!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 29
Good for you and congratulations on your advanced degree. We should start a "mature college graduate" club! I got my Master of Science in my 70s and also got reduced tuition on PhD at age 78. We can be an inspiration for the younger generation.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 29

Always wanted a college education so at age 53 I started twelve yesrs of study and got a Liberal Arts

degee, a Bachelor of Arts degree and a Master of Science by age 65. I was the oldest in my classes and got half price tuition at age 60.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 29
  • 3 Novels  with over 12,999 words written.
  • Birthed - The Gentle Revolution of the Heart.
  • Purchased a House
  • Fell into a Sacred Path Relationship.
  • Wrote thousands of Poems.
  •  
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 29

I watch videos and learned to alter my maxi dresses to midi length. I also does crafting and photography transferring photo prints to canvas and loving it all very relaxing.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 29

When I graduated high school I wanted to go to college, and was accepted into first rate art college. My parents woudn't let me attend, as they thought that girls should learn to clean house, have babies, and have a job to fall back on in case her future husband was out of work.  They sent me to a women's secretarial school, which I hated.  Later I married, had children, got divorced and worked at three jobs simultanously (days, nights, and weekends) to support my sons and me.  Later I got a good job (also remarried and got a good husband!), and at age 70 I retired with full benefits.  My sons were grown and had homes of their own.  Now it was my turn.  I entrolled in an online college in natural health and after four years earned a bachelor's degree and graduated with with "highest honors".  Encouraged by my sons and new husband, I enrolled in the master's degree program in Herbology and was offered a substantial discount if I committed to continuing on to the doctoral program when I finished the master's program.  I took them up on their offer.  I finished the master's degree program and it was "Onward"!  I worked hard on the courses in the PhD program, with the most difficult, but also the most enjoyable part, being writing my dissertation.  After submitting it, I waited.  And waited.  Etc.  Finally I recieved an email from my advisor.  "Dear Dr. Iris", it began!  At age 78 years and 9 months I was Dr. Iris.  I'd earned my PhD in Natural Medicine.  This month I'll be 80 years old and write articles for an online ezine.  Sometimes they're on herbs or other natural health related topics; sometimes they're just fun, such as my article on National Naked Gardening Day.  The brain keeps growing as long as we keep them active.   

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 29

I have accomplished my bucketlist of becoming a successful Radiology Professional as Professor and cofounder of the Harlem Hospital School of Radiology Technology and achieved position as Chief Technical Supervisor with Columbia University and a member of the 25Yr club where I worked for 41 years.

After Retirement, I travelled the Caribbean, Europe including England, Asia including the Philippines and Japan. Visited  Egypt - the Pyramids, the Sphynx and sailed the River Nile and now that I'm a Grandpa at last, then I wrote a memoir of my life's journey to motivate and inspire everyone titled: "Grow your wings, fly away and build your nest" and accomplished the bucketlist of a gracious book signing at Barnes and Noble in 2013. An excerpt is available on youtube and on amazon.com many find it motivational and inspirational and I urge everyone to read, share and rate on amazon. Thanks for being on the bucketlist with me as we travel on the 'bucket of life'

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 29

@LindenJ358051 wrote:

After a lifetime of expressing my gender as female, I finally transitioned to male, the gender I have always truly been.  I began taking testosterone at the age of 63.  I am now 67.  It was a wonderful decision.  Whatever time I have left on this planet, I will live as who I am.  Anything else I accomplish will pale in comparison.  The desire to be who I was never went away.  Now, I feel at peace.

Wishing you nothing but happiness for the rest of your life ~ the best is yet to come! Heart

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 29

After a lifetime of expressing my gender as female, I finally transitioned to male, the gender I have always truly been.  I began taking testosterone at the age of 63.  I am now 67.  It was a wonderful decision.  Whatever time I have left on this planet, I will live as who I am.  Anything else I accomplish will pale in comparison.  The desire to be who I was never went away.  Now, I feel at peace.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 29

Not a bucket list item but a major accomplishment is being able to retire at  60 yrs. after 30 yrs. of teaching and receiving a nice pension so I don't have to work for the rest of my life.  As for bucket list items, we spent a month in Hawaii (visited 5 islands), 2 weeks in Alaska, a month in the UK (England, Scotland & Ireland), a week in Bermuda and trips to Florida, upstate NY, Maryland, etc.  Health issues are starting to creep in so traveling will be a bit different.

Kudos
Views