Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Recognized Social Butterfly

THE LOCUS OF FOCUS

The Locus of Focus

My wife and I have recently toyed with the idea of getting a quiet small dog that will live with us in our condo unit. Ever since then, I have noticed an influx of leashed dogs on my walks around the block. Yesterday, at a weekend bloom and craft festival at Ward Center in Honolulu, it seemed that arrays of customers were either holding or leading their dogs throughout the facility. I was taken aback. Am I all of a sudden now living in a dog-centered community? In any case, after making a few purchases, we passed by other shopping areas in Ward Center. Before we got too far, my wife and I saw a line-up of dogs being groomed at Johnnyโ€™s dog spa. The next morning, the only item in the mail was an Elks magazine featuring pictures of and descriptions of dogs representing the most popular breeds in America.

I wonder if my wife and I hadnโ€™t discussed getting a dog, would I have been so intently aware of how many dogs that I encountered while plodding on my daily walk, while browsing at myriad festival stalls, while meandering in the mall, and while retrieving a magazine.

My wife occasionally leaves me at home while she enjoys kibitzing and carousing with her like-minded female friends. I donโ€™t mind being alone. It gives me a chance to revisit political websites, write vignettes, and clean and organize the condo. After all of my recent incidental and hauntingly coincidental dog sightings, perhaps I should doggedly pursue acquiring a canine companion. The universe may well be nudging me in that direction: I have picked up the scent.

schlomo
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Dear and wifey... please read this as experience and not advice?

The loss of our last dog was as painful as the loss of a child. We could not consider a pet again. I know everyone has different experiences with "pets" but you and Mrs seem to be super caring people and I want you to know there may be loses in the future with pets...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP