Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Recognized Social Butterfly

SIMPLE PLEASURES IN WAIKIKI

Simple Pleasures in Waikiki

Yesterday I had lots of discomfort from my arthritis, but unexpectedly, I had miraculous relief. After having dinner at a local restaurant, I walked across the street to a bus stop. My hip was still hurting. Yet suddenly when I got to the other side, the pain completely disappeared. I was so overjoyed that I took big sweeping effortless strides back and forth from the bus stop. But my euphoria didn’t last. Within a minute or two, the pain gradually returned and continued to hobble me for the rest of the evening. At first, I felt sorry for myself, remembering the catatonic patients in the Robin Williams’ movie The Awakening who after being “cured” of their disease, relapsed into their default state. But after more reflection, I began to treasure the brief elation that suffused my spirit and that might resurface later on.

Earlier today on my routine walk, I was still hurting. My 30-minute excursion, however, was a boon. The refreshing trade winds had returned, dissipating the doldrums of the week-long vog. And boy did I enjoy the life-enhancing breezes. Other people seemed to be energized as well. I encountered more hellos and appreciative nods from a variety of folks than ever before.  What a pleasure it was! Nothing along the way could disturb my delight, not even a stray piece of litter strewn on the sidewalk next to my condo or the side-by-side entitled couple who wouldn’t give me any room to safely squeeze by them.

I may not be living in the fast lane, but I try to savor the beautiful, bountiful moments that inspire me.

schlomo
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Living in the midwest all my life.  I have had too many winters.  I would like to find a place with more moderate climate to retire in.  However, I have heard HI is way expensive.  Any suggestions out there 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP