Recognized Social Butterfly

REDEMPTION, PERHAPS

Redemption, Perhaps

One time during my eleven years as a college student, I succumbed to plagiarism. Just before the end of the semester at Kent State, Kent, Ohio, our no-nonsense American literature professor told us that our 3000 word research paper on one of the authors we had studied was due the next day.

Bewildered and a bit terrified, my classmates and I blurted out that he had never assigned us a term paper. But he maintained that he did so on the first day we met and a few times after that. What an outrageous injustice inflicted on us by an evidently absent-minded if not addled professor. He was adamant, and we were crestfallen.

I knew that it was impossible for me to write, never mind craft, a research paper in one day. At a loss, I told my unscrupulous best friend about my dilemma. He readily had a solution. Two years ago, he had composed a term paper for the same American literature course taught by a different professor. He had gotten an A.  He then dredged it up and asked me if I wanted to turn it in. Even though I might be turned in to the Dean of Graduate Studies if I got caught plagiarizing, I latched onto the term paper, made a few revisions, and submitted it the next day. There were no repercussions. I received a B for the course, the grade that I had expected before the end of the semester. Selfishly, I never consulted with my other classmates to find out how they fared.

Looking back, I had other options besides plagiarism.  I could have spoken to (or I could have enlisted my fellow grad students to petition) the Chairperson of the English Department about the term paper brouhaha. But expediency overrode principle: my bad.

I vowed that when I obtained a teaching position as an English instructor after graduating from Kent State, I would unambiguously list all students’ assignments on syllabi that I distributed on the first day of class. And I would especially remind students throughout the term when a research paper was due.  I would not want to put any student in the untenable position that I had faced at Kent State. I did not want to give them the rationale to cheat, as I had done.

Sometimes a minus can turn into a plus.

schlomo
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health