Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Recognized Social Butterfly

PARROTS IN PARADISE

A Parrots’ Paradise Overlooking a Busy Street in Honolulu

Yesterday before dusk as I was looking at the street across from my friend’s apartment, I saw a stunning vista. Hundreds of brilliantly bright green parrots were enveloping at least twenty spacious banyan trees. At first, the birds didn’t land on any branches; they just teasingly swirled and twirled, curled and cavorted around the width of the trees, from top to bottom. Some of them even dive-bombed and, at the last second, fluttered away towards adjacent lush foliage. Although none of the parrots were in sync, they had a predetermined plan. After about fifteen minutes of acrobatic arabesques, they all nestled into different canopied areas of the banyan trees, presumably for the night.

What a spectacular ritual that is just one of the kaleidoscopic life-enhancing distractions from the hub-bub of the city: iconic trade winds invigorate me, resplendent rainbows briefly enveloped in mist stir my soul, sprightly roosters followed by hens and endearing baby chicks occasionally keep me company on my daily walk; and next to my condo, pure-white pigeons sometimes nuzzle against each other. Unexpected delights abound in Hawaii. What’s not to like? What’s not to love?

schlomo
Silver Conversationalist

Hey Schlomo - Enjoyed your story.  Reminded me of one of our trips to the islands, we came upon a large group of cats/kittens; musta been 40 or 50 of them.  Oddly, there was a large rooster with them and he seemed to be the critter in charge! He ordered them around and they complied.  Very strange! 

Do you do any surfing?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP