Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

INCIIDENTAL CAMARADERIE DURING COVID-19

Recognized Social Butterfly

INCIIDENTAL CAMARADERIE DURING COVID-19

Incidental Camaraderie during COVID-19

One might expect that people whom you casually meet on the street would be a bit glum considering the huge spike in Omicron infections this week in Hawaii, but not from what I experienced as I started walking again after my mild bout of COVID-19.  I soon encountered a variety of strangers who greeted me graciously.

A frail old woman waved at me. A raggedy teenager emphatically nodded as he passed by me. A well-groomed man while pushing his infant in a baby carriage warmly said hello to me. A group of begrimed youths working on a car asked me if I was having a good day. A spiffy man as elderly as I am addressed me with these polite words: “How are you doing, sir?” At one point, as I neared a matronly woman walking her dog, the frisky pup came towards me. Its owner tugged on the leash to make sure that there was no contact with me. I appreciated her vigilance. A few feet ahead, a much younger woman with a similar pup decided to stop with her dog until I edged by safely. Such courtesy!

In each case of people showing me good will, I reciprocated either with an appropriate gesture or a brief but heartfelt reply. From the anecdotal evidence that I have witnessed, the ominous spread of the Omicron variant has not dampened The Aloha Spirit.

schlomo
Regular Social Butterfly

I so love and appreciate your posts, from "the 9th Island" 🤗

I also would love and appreciate if everyone would act as those you encounter daily; unfortunately that's not what we seeing here in "the 9th Island" nor continental US and elsewhere.

I go outside my apartment perhaps 4 times a month, always masked, always with sterile swipes; I've done this since the first CDC advice. What bothers me, Schlomo, is maybe 5% of my neighbors don't; and we're "at risk" (senior) community...

I so wish I could live in a community such as yours. Thank you, again, for your posts that ensure me there are still humans out there who care for others.

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP