Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Problem Solving Made Easy (well, almost)

Community Concierge

Problem Solving Made Easy (well, almost)

Most people have their own way to go about solving a problem. Some like to write down potential solutions, others will take a walk and let the issue noodle around in their brain. Read this article that describes a deceptively simple problem-solving strategy called the Five Whys. Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more brain health information.

Social Butterfly

Throughout my career and now during retirement I have always relied on my magic 8 ball  for all of my problem solving and it has never failed me. 🎱

Trusted Contributor

Yes, and it is just as reliable as the Jump To Conclusions Mat !

0 Kudos
Contributor

I taught Logic as a Philosophy course for many years.  In teaching how to work Logic proofs (similar in process to Geometry proofs), one of my best tips was to work forwards and backwards in conjunction with one another.  What is your starting point?  What are your options from there?  What is your ultimate goal?  Working backwards from there, what options do you have? 

A maze-puzzle is a good illustration.  Start at the beginning; when you get to a place at which the next "turn" isn't obvious, stop.  Then go the end of the maze; work backwards from there until you are "stumped."  Now, see what the options are for connecting the two partial paths.

KH

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP