Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

It's OK To Be Alone, But Don't Be Lonely

Community Concierge

It's OK To Be Alone, But Don't Be Lonely

The next time you're feeling too tired or busy to ask a friend to lunch, attend church or join a new club, go ahead and do it anyway. Why? A recent report, detailed in this article, shows that loneliness can be as much a threat to longevity as obesity — even in people who say they like to be alone. So pick up the phone and call a friend today. Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more brain health information.

Regular Contributor

I was called back to work after only 2 months furlough. It's retail with a lot of customer service involved. By the time I get done work, I just want to be alone. LOL.

I'm generally very gregarious. But with no where to go, I had to find ways to balance my alone time, with my "people" time. Playing games has been a great way to do that.

Having worked in customer service for the majority of my working years, I truly DO NOT MIND BEING ALONE!  Even if you tried to work but had any kind of cough...you were avoided like the black plaque-- where as before they were all in your personal space.  Whenever I needed to have company I would just call up someone and we would just talk away,,

Anonymous
Not applicable

June 9, 2021

Lol @dgluer50 luv your reference to black plaque 🤣😂 So true!!!!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

June 9, 2021

Hi @jezebellydancer retail can be draining. I can no longer do it. Did it off and on while in between jobs. I no longer have the interest in keeping a smile on my face while being cussed out by a customer.

Regular Contributor

@RetirementAngelaVA  I hear you. I didn't have a choice. I needed a job. The pay and benefits are good for a retail type job. It was billed as an office position, but the actuality is more like retail/customer service. I'm on my feet a lot more than I care to be. I finally found a position more in line with my skills and desires. I start in a few weeks! A big plus is no more working weekends, or working until 10 or 11 at night and then having to be back at work by 8am. There's a special place in hell for customers who stroll in a few minutes before closing

Trusted Contributor

if anyone feels like their alone, it would be me. i have no family around me, none to call upon. i have friends but not the kind i can call upon just to "talk" so i really am alone no question but i don't let it get me down. i love being alone. i can't stand anyone being in my home for more than 15 minutes but i am still joyful by keeping what friends i have, watching my favorite programs on t.v. reading my favorite books online solitaire is my games playing my radio  & my talks with GOD keeps me sane.

Periodic Contributor

I have no family, period & my friends are all married.  But, it's up to me to make myself happy. I'm all I've got so I have hobbies that I love, I listen to upbeat music, I read, I research, I do quizzes online & I watch 1/2 hr old comedy shows before bed. I'm alone but I'm not lonely because I've accepted being alone & know it's up to me to be happy. I'm grateful for what I have. I don't focus on what I don't have.

thanks, Claudia that is a great way to work with what you have 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

June 9, 2021

Good for you @ClaudiaG662061 😁

0 Kudos

I've got you beat.  In the area of friends i have only 1 left and he is 1500 miles away so phone calls is the only communication.  Family is 1200 miles away and it is only my wife and my dog that I really have to talk to.  I have acquaintances but not what I would call friends and even those I can count on one hand.  I have been a loner for as long as I can remember (maybe 5 or 6 years old) and it doesn't really bother me until I read things about how we are supposedly "wired" and then I am the odd man out.  Fortunately my current wife is of similar bent.  BTW, I am 81

Periodic Contributor

Lew, if you have a spouse, you certainly don't have anyone beat! Please enjoy her & make your time together special. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

June 9, 2021

Hi @lewalberts it helps when we are with folks like us 👍 My only child gets it. She is the Social Butterfly 🙄 We cannot live together, way too much traffic for me. We tried it a few times over the years since I am divorced but ended up hating each other. Lol, she could not wait for me to move out and I could not wait to move out 🤣😂

Anonymous
Not applicable

June 9, 2021

Hi @PaulH627938 some days I okay with no family nearby. The other days I miss being able to see them versus texting or video calling. I am a loner and enjoy my own company. So grateful I was able to retire last year July 2020. Now I can choose to be around folks versus having to deal with folks I rather not have in my life. Great post 😁

Periodic Contributor

I'm a loner, too, for the most part, still would like to go shopping or lunch w/ someone occassionally.......like bi-monthly 😏

Contributor

"i can't stand anyone being in my home for more than 15 minutes"

Why is that, do you think? I'm like that too, and I wonder why. Because it seems extreme.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chenkmm wrote:

"i can't stand anyone being in my home for more than 15 minutes"

Why is that, do you think? I'm like that too, and I wonder why. Because it seems extreme.

💥Me too @chenkmm . I guess mine comes from being an only child out in the country for my first 7 years of my life. Lol, the farm animals were my friends 🤣😂 💥

Contributor

Animals are terrific company. Friendly, funny, and loving. Do you have pets? My best friend these days is a cat. I used to be a lot more sociable. But in the past  10-20 years, I'm mostly alone.  I would like to have more connection, but can't seem to get up the energy! Anyone else feel that way?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chenkmm wrote:

Animals are terrific company. Friendly, funny, and loving. Do you have pets? My best friend these days is a cat. I used to be a lot more sociable. But in the past  10-20 years, I'm mostly alone.  I would like to have more connection, but can't seem to get up the energy! Anyone else feel that way?

💥 I agree @chenkmm , animals are awesome. What is the name of your cat? No pets at the moment but I do have a doggie friend named Blitz 😁 💥

Periodic Contributor

I have 2 crazy cats, who keep me entertained. They follow me everywhere, talk to me & sleep with me. So much easier than husbands!  LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ClaudiaG662061 wrote:

I have 2 crazy cats, who keep me entertained. They follow me everywhere, talk to me & sleep with me. So much easier than husbands!  LOL

💥 Lol @ClaudiaG662061 🤣😂 What are their names? Any pictures to share with us of them? No pressure 😁 Angela 💥

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Angela, I am definitely NOT a techy but if I were, I would gladly send you pics of my cats. They are both female, rescues and under 2 years old. Not from the same litter but have been together, since they were abandoned. "Harmony" is black and "Carmen" is a Torbi. Harmony is a wild woman, Carmen is quiet & laid back. Both are entertaining, in the evening, both cuddlers, (but not at the same time,) and both are most assuredly, life savers!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Miley. Or, sometimes Smiley. I adopted her a year ago, she's a great companion!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP