Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Having a Bad Day? Try This…

Research shows that twisting your lips into a real smile may help you feel happier in the moment, enjoy tasks that you’re engaged in and feel less stressed. It helps if your smile is an accurate reflection of your mood, but researchers say even a forced smile helps in some situations. What are other things you do to turn a bad day into a good one? Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more brain health information.

Regular Social Butterfly

One thing to try, is to visit the thread "Songs That Make You Happy".

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Rock-N-Roll/Songs-that-Make-You-Happy/m-p/2413344#M201571

There's some inspiration there.

Example: Jonathan Wilson - "There's a Light" [Official Music Video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDy_h1ggYZA

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I walk, read, write in a journal, talk or walk with a friend, and play with my cats.  Doing almost anything outdoors lifts my spirits.  Sometimes I watch a comedy on tv. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I’ve found, through experience, that a couple beers works wonders!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Out loud

I say in a stern, authoritative tone, 

“Quit it.”

Been doing this for years!

0 Kudos

I find that prayer and then praising God. Just start thanking him for all the blessings you have one by one.  Not focusing on the bad but choosing focus on what is good

0 Kudos

Call a dear friend, look at photos of special people, walk on the beach, take a relaxing shower/bath…….

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Well... Charlie Brown had a little trick that worked for him. He beat his head against the wall because it felt so good when he stopped.

0 Kudos
Contributor

LOL

0 Kudos

I either find a station that plays music I love or play music I've selected to download to a device. Singing is awesome and helps to lift the mood and give you a better outlook. My alarm is set to play one of my favourite songs and I usually end up singing the whole thing before I turn it off. Wonderful mood booster to start your day!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I like this fake it til you make it approach and find that it works for me it other cases, for example if I am having negative feelings towards my husband, if I pretend to feel loving towards him, I begin to feel more loving! 

If I'm feeling bad in general, I look at some of the books I love such as interior design and garden books, or I'll read a novel, or visit a beautiful place. Sometimes just taking a walk outside can turn around a bad mood. Or a nap! 🙂

0 Kudos

A zillion years ago, I read a commentary by Ruth Gordon.  Remember her?  She opined that enthusiasm, when manufactured, can become real. She said that it worked for her, although she did add that there are things that we must be against in life, like war. I will be forever grateful for having read that piece. It has kept me going. My husband is now partially paralyzed.  He teases about my daily gratitude practice, by coming up with ideas for me:  the dog didn't throw up, I didn't burn the steaks, I remembered where I parked the car...  Hey, while laughing (YAY!), he's thinking about gratitude and doesn't even realize it!

(^_*)   

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP