Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Food for thought

Bananas are not only tasty; they possess nutrients that may help support memory and mood. Go ahead and eat a banana or two today! What's your favorite 'go to' food? Visit this article on AARP® Staying Sharp for more brain health content.

Contributor

It is my understanding from my Primary Care Doctor that bananas contain a lot of sugar and she does not recommend them if you are pre-diabetic or diabetic.

When I asked her where do I get my Potassium, she stated very warmly but serious. "Your best friend, Ms. Dash". LOL!

What are your thoughts on this?

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

There’s a lot of information online regarding how foods affect people with diabetes, and I encourage you to research this issue before deciding whether to add bananas to your diet. It’s always best to consult with your doctor for specific individual needs, and I’m glad you’ve done so. Best, Margaret

0 Kudos

My "food for thought" ISN'T  really food. It's different type of word games I play. They make you think!

0 Kudos

Organic whole walnuts are a tasty and healthy treat by themselves or in dishes that I prepare.  I use them in everything from salads to oatmeal.  Try it sometime.  You’ll be glad you found a new favorite!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I Love looking for new recipes, ones that don’t have sugar or oil, best to use alternatives. I wanted to make VeganBiscuits, I found one that sounds so delicious- 1 cup Almond Milk

1 tbspoon lemon juice, 2 cups flour ( I use Spelt flour, which is very nutritious),  1 tbspoon bake powder ( no aluminum), 1 tsp baking soda, and 4 tbspoon butter ( I use Earth Balance).

As, you see , it has no sugar, doesn’t come from a box, and no additives or coloring. These are great to eat by themselves or with almond butter, hummus, many varieties. 

Conversationalist

How about Chia Seeds? Did you know these tiny seeds can help your system? I grind them up and put them in my green smoothies, my chia pancakes, can take the place of flaxseed in recipes.

These seeds raise your good cholesterol, omegas, they are high in protein, increase your energy levels, boosts your moods and builds bones, because it has phosphorus and magnesium. Plus, it helps with your digestion and blood sugar levels.

So, why not check out some great recipes with Chia Seeds, remember to get organic!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP