Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Finding Your Purpose in Life

Volunteering is a good way to explore and discover your sense of purpose. In helping to make a difference in others’ lives, it can make an even bigger difference in your own. From boosting self-confidence to fulfilling our primary need for purpose, volunteering is linked to many health benefits. Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more brain health information.

Social Butterfly

I volunteer at the local hospital in Arden to get a free breakfast and lunch every day I go in.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I belong to a group of ladies whose purpose is to serve the community wherever needed. Several of us head specific "projects" the rest help out whenever and however they can.  

The project I head is procuring and providing food for students in need in 2 elementary schools, to take home for Holiday Breaks, and even for snacks during the school day. We started in 2014 with one school (taking on a 2nd school 3-4 years later) establishing and stocking an "Emergency Food Pantry" and only paused during the height of the pandemic, when the respective counties provided for them, and volunteers where not allowed in the schools.  In one school I have also been working in their emergency closet as some children need shoes, a change of clothes or underwear. I try to see to their every need.

I believe it does more for me than I do for them. It gives me purpose, keeps me actively involved not only with the members of my group, but also with volunteers or principals of other institutions/charities, who are all wonderful people. Its a great kind of busy!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I started a charity to help children handle stress in their lives through learning meditation and positive psychology.  As a practicing clinical psychologist I believe the welfare of our children is instrumental in the health of our society. Matthew’s Mindful Moment also has free weekly meditations for families and teachers to use with children. It brings me great joy to know that our organization is making a difference in peoples lives. During these stressful times of the pandemic everyone needs to take 10 minutes and meditate.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP