Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Chase Away Negative Thoughts

We could all use a little optimism, especially when negative thoughts enter our thinking patterns. Learn more about the ABCDE strategy to help reverse negativity. Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more information.

Periodic Contributor

walking and being outside. I realized that I had SAD which really affects me in the winter. A blue light helped and also moving to a sunny climate helped 

Trusted Contributor

when a negative thought enters my mind i recognize it for what it is & stop thinking of it but if it persists then i ask GOD'S help to help. first, i threaten the devil away by threatening to put Jesus on him then ask GOD to actually  chase him off. it works as i feel calm afterwords & never think of it again. 

We use what we have 🙌🏾

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

They're chasing me.  I'm 71 and in reasonably good health and shape, but these days I wonder if the things, pets, and people with which/whom I come into contact will be the last time I'll get to do things like get out of bed, make a cup of morning coffee, pet a cat, do the chores, visit the local convenience store, buy groceries, call/email/visit a friend, eliminate, bathe, and get some sleep.  This unshakeable trend of experience and thought invariably makes me melancholy.  Sad that I live alone (except for cats) and have lots to share but no one with me who cares (ditto for the reverse condition/situation).  External circumstances in the last several years have only served to heighten my awareness of my situation and, of course, mortality.  I'd like to go out on a high note.  Don't let me make you too sad.  Grasp opportunity, shake off your demons, hold those you love close and mentor them, give even modestly to causes that engage you, and don't forget to pray (the resulting peace and outlook are well worth the few minutes you'll spend every day).

Trusted Contributor

You're not  making me sad--all my sisters' friends who are in their 80's are all dying.its not a negative emotion, its just REALITY.Don't punish yerse;lf for facing reality.--My sister is pretty "Cleopatra, Queen of Denial."--She won't admit to me how bad she feels--so she started admitting it to a bar,and a glass of rum lately.--Thats why its better to just admit it to people--you won't have to talk to a glass or bottle full of run.---Denial has liquor or drugs connected to it.---you're right to talk to us.Absolutely. Ill listen.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Yeah, my nice neighbor, in early 70's is dying of cancer,i feel terrible about it.it really hurts.We were going to plant things in my backyard in Spring, she's just too weak.--I try to phone or email her(she doesn't want me coming over)but shes not replying.i've got so much pain in my arms,joints,my feet are too swelled up to put in shoes--i have to stay off them.--If I can't get stronger meds from my doc,i'll have to look elsewhere for them.My fibromyalgfia is horrible--so the chiropracter helps it;--medical docs don't help.--Yes, loss really hurts,its just best to admit itlI don't wanta tell it to a bottle of rum.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

very sorry about the difficulties.  No one does well with solitude.  It is always going to have a powerful impact on our mind and emotions. 

As far as difficulties with feelings of mortality.  Well, you know, we are all dealing with that.  I had an accident, was close to death for 4 months back in 2003.  The first few weeks were awful.  But after that, I just sort of surrendered to the fact that death is part of life.  After that I just came to some peace with it.  Not saying that it doesn't still bother me, it does.  But it has been easier since that time.

As someone who was disabled, I have been dealing with loss of function for a long time now.  The fear of losing function is worse than when it actually happens.  We somehow figure out a way of adjusting...even in very serious situations.  What we fear now, is very different when some bodily failure comes to us. 

Wishing you well.

Here's some nice music, Horowitz playing Beethoven's Moonlight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6YCSeeMN4I

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

you like classical music?Do you get "KWAX CLASSICAL MUSIC STATION by The U.of O, and Eugene community"they are on local radio but also online.--Yes they are wonderful,i don't know what i'd do without them.Thank you for the music. 🙂

0 Kudos
Contributor

This is a new way of communicating with someone for me. I was debating whether or not to join this AARP Community Forum. I hope to continue following your messages. I am 72 and 1/2 yrs today! 🙂 I have some similar feelings and thoughts as you also, but I do not drive and live with family now. For the last 2 &1/3 years I have lived in Alaska with them. I will continue to update and follow. Thank You. 

Community Concierge

Sandra,

Welcome to the Health Tip Forum, and happy belated birthday! Glad to have you join our community and share your thoughts with us. Best, Maggie

Regular Social Butterfly

I checked out the ABCDE strategy; I think it's kinda shallow. It left out the most important part: Evaluation. I think a better strategy would be:

Adversity; Identify if it's a person, policy, environment, or belief (yours or other's).

Belief; Verify the belief (yours or other's) that's behind the situation. Determine if it's valid or not.

Consequences; Verify whether a change is beneficial or not (and to whom)

Dispute; Anticipate any backlash to your idea of change.

Evaluation; Remember the Serenity Prayer: "Give me the courage to change what I can, the ability to accept what I cannot, and the wisdom to know the difference.". Then determine what comes next (for you).

Community Concierge

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the ABCDE strategy! Best, Maggie

0 Kudos
Contributor

I combat negativism and all its forms with a powerful mantra repeating each words with emphasis aloud in my mind with energy and an intensity of emotions parallel to or above my current state until the negative vibration gets replaced in my thoughts and emotions. My mantra has something to do with things that I love or my desire or passion that I feel about. Most of the time I used my mantra about money so I repeat it with all-energy and power saying, "I AM health. I am wealth. I am love. I am a universal millionaire. A magnate of peace, love and prosperity. Money desires me and it's being me right now. I am energy. I am great. I am significant. Whether I like or not, I have a reason to be here. I thank the universe for taking care of me and flourishing me with goodness, love, kindness, forgiveness and understanding. I thank the universe for providing for my needs and wants and for everyone I love around me". Something to this effect. And I keep impressing them on my subconscious until all what is retained are the thoughts that I want to hold on actively as my universal truth. 

Above all, I forgive myself for engaging myself into such moment and allowing such similar state of things in my life to happen, directly or indirectly. I take responsibility over the circumstance, process it within myself then just let go and have it withered away according to it's nature. 

Trusted Contributor

oh my God money as a mantra!!!What a good idea!!!I was concentrating on CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE CAKE, ICE CREAM FROM DQ, stuff like thjat.BUT MONEY EVEN BETTER!!!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I agree.  Mantra meditation, silently chanting is a great way to dispel negative thoughts.

Here is an article from Deepak Chopra on mantra meditation:

https://chopra.com/articles/what-is-a-mantra

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP