Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

A Good Subsititute for Salt

Everything tastes better with salt--right? Not so fast! Check out this easy recipe to replace salt with six simple spices, most of which you probably already have in your kitchen. Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more recipes with healthy ingredients.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Funny, I actually started cutting back on salt when I was 18, my father had a heart attack & was in ICU on a low salt diet. He used to save the bread for me because I liked the taste while he hated it. I don’t cook or season with salt. Problem is, there is so much salt in packaged & processed foods & I really read the labels. Obviously, you can’t cut out sodium entirely due to the need for electrolyte balance, but I have noticed that when I do have food with a higher salt content (when on vacation & eating out) I ten to retain fluid.

We recently got serious about lowering our salt intake. I found Mrs. Dash chipotle really works….it’s awesome sprinkled on salmon before baking! I also use the 50% less sodium salt. And Lowry’s seasoned pepper is awesome….not the lemon one though.

It’s very true that once you reduce your salt intake you really don’t miss it. In fact, food with salt in it starts to taste TOO salty….especially restaurant food! 

Honored Social Butterfly

Just make sure that potassium levels don't rise too much when using salt substitutes causing Hyperkalemia.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Periodic Contributor

Adopted a low-sodium approach 20 years ago. Substitutions didn't do much for me. What worked well, quite well, was finding recipes that are low-sodium by design - not so much good recipes modified to be low-sodium. A wide variety of excellent recipes are out there, so much so, I don't feel the least bit restricted by maintaining close to DASH or even DASH II guidelines.

It is personal choice, so different for each. Just like with any recipes, you can find recipes from a 'chef' that works well for you taste wise, ingredient wise, and level of effort. 

One of the most surprising things about reducing sodium is that once you adjust - food tastes better!!!!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I spice things up with oregano.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Lemon 

Racquel Evans
0 Kudos
Contributor

Mrs. Dash Table Blend OR (as they are calling it, now) Dash 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I don't get it?? How do you comment?? It's not a discussion... it's a blank page. ??

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi there! Yes, just like your reply, you can post your comment and share it with others. Best, Margaret

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP