Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Spanish language programs

I want to learn Spanish.  There are too many options advertised and across a wide price range.  Wondering if any members have a experience (positive or negative) with any particular tool or method.  Any advise would be appreciated.

Regular Contributor

Hi Jeffrey,

I am a semi-retired Spanish teacher.  I still giving tutorials for Lessons.com and Varsity.com

A self-instruction would be Duolingo.  It has a lot of materials and levels. 

Also, you can contact a private tutor and make a suitable arrangement for classes online.

Another option would be the Senior Community Centers, most of the time they offer free classes.

Best luck.

Beatriz Cortes
Anonymous
Not applicable

April 16, 2021

Hi @JeffreyB901948 Do you want the FREE ones or the ones you pay for? Angela

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

And, I am wondering how you could tell I am a "Newbie?"  I don't see a flag or identifier on either my name or yours.

Periodic Contributor

Angela, cost is certainly a factor, but number 1 consideration would be "probability of success."  I want a program that has a good track record.  It's hard to tell from all the advertising literature ... it's the ad writers job to make what they are selling sound good.

I assume from your title, "Bronze Conversationalist" you are in the language business?  What is your experience?

Thanks for the reply.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @JeffreyB901948 I am just like you and RE-LEARNING Spanish at age 63. I did Spanish and French in High School but didnot continue. I am cheap and other than BUYING some books, CDs, flashcards - I use YouTube. My challenge is CONVERSATIONAL. They talk so FAST, they lose me/lol. If you are AGE 60+, you can attend any Spanish Courses for FREE at your local STATE college/university. They offer both online and on campus.

Contributor

II would like to learn Spanish again. Basically, a refresher course. I, too, learned in grade school and high school, however, I haven't used it since. I am now a resident in Houston, Texas and need to learn to be able to converse with a lot of people in restaurants, lawn maintenance service and even when we go on trips. Where in Houston, TX would be a good place to learn that is not expensive and I can get it online or have a class where I can go to during the daytime? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Recognized Social Butterfly

(2/26/24) @ce9779 , I am NOT in your location but wanted to suggest your Local Community College. Good Luck!  😎

[*** @ce9779 wrote:

II would like to learn Spanish again. Basically, a refresher course. I, too, learned in grade school and high school, however, I haven't used it since. I am now a resident in Houston, Texas and need to learn to be able to converse with a lot of people in restaurants, lawn maintenance service and even when we go on trips. Where in Houston, TX would be a good place to learn that is not expensive and I can get it online or have a class where I can go to during the daytime? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ***]

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP