Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

FINDING MYSELF

Hi everyone!

I have just re-joined AARP after several years 'away'.  I have been reading some of the posts, all interesting and intriguing.  

I am interested in hearing how others have evolved over the years.  As for me, widowed at 55, disastrously re-married, divorced.......and lots of other stuff along the way.

The 'journey' from widow to married again to divorce was painful, to put it in the most simple terms. Those years took a toll for sure, but I am now, if not exactly grateful for some of the things that happened, I can absolutely appreciate the lessons I learned. 

It took me a while to let go of the past, but once I finally accepted that the past didn't have to influence my present or my future.....well, it all fell into place for me. I am now 76, happy, healthy, active, and somewhat adventuresome:-)   

Gold Conversationalist

Welcome back OvalMirror.   Your story is one of strength.  I often wish I had a "crystal ball" that would have given me the foresight to see the mistakes I could have avoided - but, as you say, the lessons learned have made me who I am today.  I am so glad you are happy, healthy and without anger or bitterness.  You are to be admired.

Sparkle.gif

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

wow. Welcome back to AARP, OvalMirror.

That is quite a story. I can relate to not the material facts, but to the having been lost, then hopefully finding myself, then having lost the most precious people in my life. Hopefully not forever. The sense of being lost has been with me pretty much forever though.

Many many years ago (25) there was an internet forum I participated in. It is defunct now. Not even on the "www", it was a different platform known as "usenet" (now that's "back in the day"). I miss it and the personalities I met and knew there. One of whom I am married to now. I'm not certain why she stays with me.  :- (

@OvalMirror wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have just re-joined AARP after several years 'away'.  I have been reading some of the posts, all interesting and intriguing.  

I am interested in hearing how others have evolved over the years.  As for me, widowed at 55, disastrously re-married, divorced.......and lots of other stuff along the way.

The 'journey' from widow to married again to divorce was painful, to put it in the most simple terms. Those years took a toll for sure, but I am now, if not exactly grateful for some of the things that happened, I can absolutely appreciate the lessons I learned. 

It took me a while to let go of the past, but once I finally accepted that the past didn't have to influence my present or my future.....well, it all fell into place for me. I am now 76, happy, healthy, active, and somewhat adventuresome:-)   

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP