Eye scans and gene editing are among the new frontiers in Alzheimer’s research! Learn more in AARP’s report on medical breakthroughs.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you keep up with routine work around your house?

Message 11 of 15

buy yourself a Roomba and a steam mop!  I assign one area of my home to each weekday for a thorough cleaning...made my life easier!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 15

Relax and take a deep breath. Don't become overwhelmed and feel the need to do everything all at once. Divide up the rooms/areas of the house and focus on just cleaning/organizing that room for that day. It may take a while to complete, if it hasn't been done in a while. However, going forward, regular maintenance will take much less time. Play some of your favorite music to help speed things along and make it more enjoyable. Time yourself on how long it took to complete the task. Also, decide how often you would like it to be cleaned. Some rooms require once a day, or twice a week while other areas perhaps just once a month. After the initial completion, schedule it regularly on your calendar/phone/Google Assistant/Amazon Alexa to help remind you. Soon enough all will be cleaned and organized, and the regular routine of it will become less daunting.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 15

A friend at The Norcross Senior Center gave me this today at lunch. When she wants to clean her shower. She sprays the shower walls with a cleaning solution from the dollar store which she mixes with 10 parts water to 1 part solution. She then takes a sponge mop also from the dollar store and goes up and down the shower walls and in a minute or two it is clean and dry. I can't wait to try this.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 15

I make sure that things that need to be repaired, are. But, just as importantly, if one of those workers mentions that they smelled something musty or noticed something damp or says there’s something wrong with the shingles, I have learned the hard way not to ignore it. 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How do you keep up with routine work around your house?

Message 15 of 15

Keeping your home in good condition through regular home maintenance is a crucial part of being able to live safely and comfortably in your home as you grow older. What do you do to keep up with routine things around your house? Share your tips!

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion: