Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Homeless Being Housed - Successful Program - Housing First - THE WAY HOME

Honored Social Butterfly

Homeless Being Housed - Successful Program - Housing First - THE WAY HOME

This was covered by CBS News this am - CBSNews - Sunday Morning 04/14/2024 - Inside Houston's successful strategy to reduce homelessness

Watch or Read it - 

from the link ~

For Houston, it's one more piece of evidence that its strategy for solving its homelessness problem works. Kelly Young, who heads Houston's Coalition for the Homeless, says it's a model that the rest of the nation should look at and follow. "We were one of the worst in the nation to begin with, in 2011, 2012," Young said. "And now, we're considered one of the best."

What happened? In 2012, the city went all-in on a concept called "Housing First." Since then,homelessness is down 63% in the greater Houston area, and more than 30,000 people have been housed.

Housing First means spend money on getting the unhoused into their own apartments, subsidize their rent, then provide the services needed to stabilize their lives – not fix the person first; not just add more shelter beds.

… . . In Houston, step one was convincing dozens of unconnected agencies, all trying to do everything, to join forces under a single umbrella organization: The Way Home, run by the Houston Coalition for the Homeless.

… . . Houston has dismantled 127 homeless encampments, but only after housing had been found for all of the occupants. So far this year, The Way Home has already housed more than 750 people.

more at the above link ~ Read it or Watch It.

THE WAY HOME is a concept that is being reproduced in other major cities in Texas and now has the attention of even other cities in the country.

Yes, these are attached dwellings - high rise - the cheapest to build for land area and number of units/residents.   It’s a home - for many- a beginning - from which many of their problems can be addressed.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Trusted Social Butterfly

@GailL1 , this is just my VERY HUMBLE opinion and someone who was homeless at age 59:

[1] There are thousands of these set ups.

[2] Until PREVENTION is done, there will be NO END to this issue.

[3] I stayed for 13 VERY LONG months in the Roanoke Rescue Mission here in Virginia AFTER my job hours were cut in another city.

[4] For example in FLORIDA - low wages are CREATING this issue for ALOT of people.

Just my opinions  👵

[*** GAIL @GailL1 wrote:

This was covered by CBS News this am - CBSNews - Sunday Morning 04/14/2024 - Inside Houston's successful strategy to reduce homelessness

Watch or Read it - 

from the link ~

For Houston, it's one more piece of evidence that its strategy for solving its homelessness problem works. Kelly Young, who heads Houston's Coalition for the Homeless, says it's a model that the rest of the nation should look at and follow. "We were one of the worst in the nation to begin with, in 2011, 2012," Young said. "And now, we're considered one of the best."

What happened? In 2012, the city went all-in on a concept called "Housing First." Since then,homelessness is down 63% in the greater Houston area, and more than 30,000 people have been housed.

Housing First means spend money on getting the unhoused into their own apartments, subsidize their rent, then provide the services needed to stabilize their lives – not fix the person first; not just add more shelter beds.

… . . In Houston, step one was convincing dozens of unconnected agencies, all trying to do everything, to join forces under a single umbrella organization: The Way Home, run by the Houston Coalition for the Homeless.

… . . Houston has dismantled 127 homeless encampments, but only after housing had been found for all of the occupants. So far this year, The Way Home has already housed more than 750 people.

more at the above link ~ Read it or Watch It.

THE WAY HOME is a concept that is being reproduced in other major cities in Texas and now has the attention of even other cities in the country.

Yes, these are attached dwellings - high rise - the cheapest to build for land area and number of units/residents.   It’s a home - for many- a beginning - from which many of their problems can be addressed. ***]

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote

========================================

The Houston program of “The Way Home”. only changes the way things are done.  They put people into a home BEFORE prevention measures are undertaken.  Whatever is their problem - the program is designed to be “their” personal program. 

from the link ~

@SpringIsHereSoHappy  wrote

4] For example in FLORIDA - low wages are CREATING this issue for ALOT of people.

=============================

If their problem is low wages, they are given programs that will increase their education and/or skill levels so that they can get a better job but only after they are in an apartment.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@GailL1 , where is ALL the money coming from?  🤔

During my 13 months of being HOMELESS, donations and government grants are what kept the ROANOKE RESCUE MISSION open.

So, as OUR AREA loses companies like GE in Salem, Virginia (city next door, part of Roanoke County) CLOSE their doors = more homeless, less donations, government grants run out/NOT refunded.

MY SUGGESTION: Prevent the closures by finding solutions. This way jobs are kept, people remain housed.

Anyway, until someone age 50 and older EXPRERIENCES being homeless - the reality does NOT set in.

My daughter, an Engineer for the Harris L3 in Florida just got laid off on Thursday. A 2nd SURPRISE MASS LAYOFF with more to come. She has a mortgage and car payment.  👵

[*** GAIL @GailL1 wrote:

========================================

The Houston program of “The Way Home”. only changes the way things are done.  They put people into a home BEFORE prevention measures are undertaken.  Whatever is their problem - the program is designed to be “their” personal program. 

from the link ~

@SpringIsHereSoHappy  wrote

4] For example in FLORIDA - low wages are CREATING this issue for ALOT of people.

=============================

If their problem is low wages, they are given programs that will increase their education and/or skill levels so that they can get a better job but only after they are in an apartment. ***]

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

where is ALL the money coming from?  🤔

During my 13 months of being HOMELESS, donations and government grants are what kept the ROANOKE RESCUE MISSION open.

================================

Look at the main link to the CBS report - they show a graph about all the various non-profits that are under the umbrella of the program of “The Way Home” - each one of those may also get donations and/or government grants.  

I don’t know how they do their construction financing but I have my guesses - 

• city already owns lots of properties and some aren’t worth much on the open market - IOW, worth more for use rather than selling it to some private enterprise.
  • citiy can wheel and deal for things like tax subsidies on another construction property for a builder
  • they can just require the building codes that assure safety and wellbeing rather than all of the others like the number of parking spaces.  
  • They wouldn’t have to provide things that aren’t actually needed like say, dishwashers.  They may not have to provide full internal unit walls either - IOW, build lots more studios.  
  • The can design the building for efficiency in energy use 

You would be surprised at what certain savings can add up to- 

You maybe talking about homelessness in people that don’t have a choice in any sort of recovery - like the elderly and no I don’t consider a 50 year old elderly - I mean those that are either disabled or are up in age and can no longer work or have a difficult time working.  

For those types, I would imaging a place that is just for them long term - like the HUD Section 202 project that I described under another post in this board.  This should be the primary place that housing subsidies and Section 8 vouchers are utilized - the lower the income, the more priority is given for housing in places like this.  Then again, services for these type of people can be brought in to aid them specifically for their needs.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Ok @GailL1  👍  I will agree to disagree on this = but "respect" what you are saying! Take care  👵

[*** @GailL1 wrote:

where is ALL the money coming from?  🤔

================================

Look at the main link to the CBS report - they show a graph about all the various non-profits that are under the umbrella of the program of “The Way Home” - each one of those may also get donations and/or government grants.  

I don’t know how they do their construction financing but I have my guesses - 

• city already owns lots of properties and some aren’t worth much on the open market - IOW, worth more for use rather than selling it to some private enterprise.
  • citiy can wheel and deal for things like tax subsidies on another construction property for a builder
  • they can just require the building codes that assure safety and wellbeing rather than all of the others like the number of parking spaces.  
  • They wouldn’t have to provide things that aren’t actually needed like say, dishwashers.  They may not have to provide full internal unit walls either - IOW, build lots more studios.  
  • The can design the building for efficiency in energy use 

You would be surprised at what certain savings can add up to- 

You maybe talking about homelessness in people that don’t have a choice in any sort of recovery - like the elderly and no I don’t consider a 50 year old elderly - I mean those that are either disabled or are up in age and can no longer work or have a difficult time working.  

For those types, I would imaging a place that is just for them long term - like the HUD Section 202 project that I described under another post in this board.  This should be the primary place that housing subsidies and Section 8 vouchers are utilized - the lower the income, the more priority is given for housing in places like this.  Then again, services for these type of people can be brought in to aid them specifically for their needs. ***]

Gold Conversationalist

I wanted to thank both

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy &

Gail @GailL1  for addressing & discussing such an important issue!

Take care ~Allen

Trusted Social Butterfly

Thanks @Therapist4u , EVERY DAY this issue gets WORST!!! I never want to be "homeless" again. Take care  👵

[*** ALLEN @Therapist4u wrote:

I wanted to thank both

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy &

Gail @GailL1  for addressing & discussing such an important issue!

Take care ~Allen ***]

Gold Conversationalist

Yes I totally agree! A lot of the prob is legislators reducing funds to programs that help us..including EBT....

And thanks for sharing about your personal experiences...good for you for surviving & then rebounding....& later thriving!

Also, I can tell your concerns ...that are directly related to this issue, could be worrisome,... by sharing about what your daughter's situation is! Good luck to her!

Honored Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u wrote

. . . . . A lot of the prob is legislators reducing funds to programs that help us..including EBT....

============================

Center on Budget and Policy Priorities 10/23/2023 - A Quick Guide to SNAP Eligibility and Benefits

Would you think that “giving” some sort of minimum (basic) income to folks that need a helping hand would be better than micro-managing each type of helping hand benefit separately?

What figure would that be?  Would it be dependent on where THEY decide to live - high or low cost of living areas?  What sort of oversite would (the ones paying) have over the situation these folks are in?  Could we tell them not to have kids or no more kids?  Could we tell them where to live, what training they need, how to make any money or benefit they do have go further?

I don’t think that would work either - they are in this situation because some problem is preventing them from earning and doing for themselves - some may be able to change this - others not so much and will have to have help forever.

So how much say should we have over the lives of people who live off of others - government or charity?

I really would like to know the opinion of others here - 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Thanks @Therapist4u  💙🤗

[*** ALLEN @Therapist4u wrote:

Yes I totally agree! A lot of the prob is legislators reducing funds to programs that help us..including EBT....

And thanks for sharing about your personal experiences...good for you for surviving & then rebounding....& later thriving!

Also, I can tell your concerns ...that are directly related to this issue, could be worrisome,... by sharing about what your daughter's situation is! Good luck to her! ***]

Silver Conversationalist

Hey Gail - Thanks for posting the "Houston story".   It's presented a different perspective for me.  My take has been along the path of "Fix the person first - Then address the housing",,,,  but "Houston" indicates the opposite.  HMMMM. You got me thinking.  

Here in my state - we have close to 200,00 homeless.  That's a lotta people.

Unfortunately, a great number (perhaps even a majority) - are addicted and/or      mentally unstable.  As I see it - the Big Plus is for all the folks that are not in the    above mentioned category.  🙂

Food for thought.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@wilful 

I think it even helps them - as you say, the addicted, the mentally unstable - because it help to get all the “helping hands” programs into a specific area - where it can be more concentrated.  

For the addicted - isn’t that the same premise around treatment and graduated housing facilities along with work programs.

Same for mentally handicapped forks - group housing is a plus for them just to learn some basics (if they can learn) about taking care of themselves and their environment.

It is also a plus to find out about people in these categories - how severe is their infliction?  Can it be turned around?  If not, a different sort of housing might have to be used for them - more oriented towards CARE than teaching or improvement.

I think the Houston program is a good one just based on what I have knowledge but every city is gonna be different because there are differences in priority cost - like weather - Houston is a mild climate area - more concern over protection from hurricanes  than cold or ice, normally.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

@wilful , when I was homeless at age 59, I got ZERO housing assistance BECAUSE:

[1] I have NEVER had addictions. Lol, except to food.  🙄

[2] Had been working from age 12.

[3] No Domestic Violence or Jail Time or Criminal Record.

[4] Was not age 65 or disabled or have any mental issues.

By the time I had MOVED out of Roanoke Rescue Mission into my own place, the $5,000.00 I had saved was gone for deposits and so on.

Anyway, the Mission is like a REVOLVING DOOR for some = stay awhile. Get the FREE stuff. Move out. Get evicted or locked up. Back at the Mission.  👵

[*** @wilful wrote:

Hey Gail - Thanks for posting the "Houston story".   It's presented a different perspective for me.  My take has been along the path of "Fix the person first - Then address the housing",,,,  but "Houston" indicates the opposite.  HMMMM. You got me thinking.  

Here in my state - we have close to 200,00 homeless.  That's a lotta people.

Unfortunately, a great number (perhaps even a majority) - are addicted and/or      mentally unstable.  As I see it - the Big Plus is for all the folks that are not in the    above mentioned category.  🙂

Food for thought.  ***]

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

. . . . . when I was homeless at age 59, I got ZERO housing assistance BECAUSE

==============================================

Might also be that you never applied for it  - like Section 8 or some other type of housing subsidy or programs - public based or charity based.  That, of course, depended upon one’s income.  

How were you able to save the $ 5000 that turned your life around?  Maybe because they gave you a chance to work and save without paying housing cost -  that seems to be exactly what the Houston “ The Way Home” program is trying to work - a home while pulling ones self up - it is just under a different type environment while they are doing it.

All I am saying is that somebody pays when housing and services are needed for unfortunate folks - this just puts all the paying under one umbrella for maximum benefit in housing and other programs which many of these folks need.

But you are right - some of them may only need that interim period when they have a roof over their head and no rent to deal with - I just think it is a much better environment if they have their own roof and no rent or overhead rather than a bedding conglomerate with no overhead.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Yes @GailL1 , I had pay to stay there and I DIDNOT "qualify" for ANY help (cash, housing) while my roommates (addicts,criminals) got everything FREE (cash, housing)  👵

[*** GAIL @GailL1 wrote:

. . . . . when I was homeless at age 59, I got ZERO housing assistance BECAUSE

==============================================

Might also be that you never applied for it  - like Section 8 or some other type of housing subsidy or programs - public based or charity based.  That, of course, depended upon one’s income.  

How were you able to save the $ 5000 that turned your life around?  Maybe because they gave you a chance to work and save without paying housing cost -  that seems to be exactly what the Houston “ The Way Home” program is trying to work - a home while pulling ones self up - it is just under a different type environment while they are doing it.

All I am saying is that somebody pays when housing and services are needed for unfortunate folks - this just puts all the paying under one umbrella for maximum benefit in housing and other programs which many of these folks need.

But you are right - some of them may only need that interim period when they have a roof over their head and no rent to deal with - I just think it is a much better environment if they have their own roof and no rent or overhead rather than a bedding conglomerate with no overhead. ***]

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

.. . . . I had pay to stay there and I DIDNOT "qualify" for ANY help (cash, housing) while my roommates (addicts,criminals) got everything FREE (cash, housing) 

But those things like being an addict or criminal or a victim or if one has worked for years, aren’t eligibility qualifiers for needing a helping hand for most programs like housing assistance, food, medical care, and others 

The qualifiers are mostly (generally)  based on (1) income (2) resources or assets (3) family size (4) or some type of affliction that keeps one down money- or ability-wise .

Trusted Social Butterfly

@GailL1 , until I was homeless at age 59 I USE TO BELIEVE in the system. My advice to anyone age 50 and older, you are on your own.  👵

[*** GAIL @GailL1 wrote:

.. . . . I had pay to stay there and I DIDNOT "qualify" for ANY help (cash, housing) while my roommates (addicts,criminals) got everything FREE (cash, housing) 

But those things like being an addict or criminal or a victim or if one has worked for years, aren’t eligibility qualifiers for needing a helping hand for most programs like housing assistance, food, medical care, and others 

The qualifiers are mostly (generally)  based on (1) income (2) resources or assets (3) family size (4) or some type of affliction that keeps one down money- or ability-wise . ***]

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP