Are you as smart as a high-tech car? Take this quiz and test your knowledge.
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: TOP 10 REASONS TO START WALKING TODAY

Message 11 of 16

I've been running for 37 years but now I do a combination walk-run with my husband (who's been running for over 40 years).  We live in a rural area with no sidewalks and few homes.  We alternate three different routes.  Before leaving the house my husband stuffs his pockets with plastic grocery bags.  Then the run-walk-recyclables pick-up fun begins.  While on our 'journey' we pick up recyclable cans, and plastic and glass bottles from the sides of the road, often adding a climb up an embankment or into a field to get what some environmentally negligent people have tossed out their car/truck window.  Our usual routes are about 2 miles (more or less).  We get our exercise (running, walking, bending to pick up recyclables, and climbing), and help the environment at the same time.  Oh, and he's in his late 70s and on my next birthday I'll be 80.  We have no plans to stop our exercise.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16

I have been walking our road every day, except in freezing rain, snow & ice, since I turned 51 in 1987. I'm an early riser, and I walk 2 miles as soon as daylight arrives. When I started my daily walks, I was still in the workforce and had to adjust my walks to my work schedule; but after I retired in 1996 at age 60 my early morning walks developed into my prayer/meditation time at the crack of dawn. What a blessing! I live on a hill and am not able to walk up and down it like I did when I was younger. I drive to the bottom of the hill and walk on relatively level ground. I wear a Medical Guardian and carry my cellphone which I use only for an emergencies - not casual conversation. Now I am 82 years old and I've slowed down somewhat; but still have some spring in my step and I look forward to walking every morning. It usually takes me 45 minutes to complete the 2 miles. When the weather is severe I bundle up and walk around and around on my  3 sided porch for at least 30 minutes. Although I have had some severe health problems in the past, I am thankful that I take no medications except an 81mg aspirin daily and vitamins/minerals. My walks truly saved my sanity when my son died suddenly in 1999 and again when my husband died in 2016.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

You might want to put on some headphones and listen to good music,

my preference is Roy Orberson from the Black and White Ball. it takes your mind off the pain haha, I just retired and started walking last year, only 63 and don't mind getting old but I want to be healthly getting older, first I was walking around the block and how I'm doing around 5-6 miles a day 6 days a week, not only is it good for want your body needs But I also lost 27lbs. blood presure went way down also once you start droping your weight don't forget to start a stomich exercise flatten out the loose fat you might be able to see your toes again.

once you get going find a walking club, every weekend they travel to deferernt cities and explore. 

if you decide to walk in the evening get some reflecting straps around your ankles so people and cars can see you. have fun and say hello to your neighbor as your passing by.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16

Although I don't do much recreational walking (even though I used to both walking and jog when I was much younger), I think I will try to add that to my weekly routine; maybe two or three days a week to start.  

Let me not kid myself, I'll be doing good to start with one or two days a week.  But I do plan on making walking a part of my health plan.  I know I used to feel so much better after a good walk or run.  And I truly could use a "better feeling" right about now.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16

Not much is required.  Put on some shoes and go take a walk.  If you enjoy it, get some good walking shoes and get started.  If you have any concerns check with your doctor.

If you are in poor health or you havn't walked in a long time, you might want to get a check up first.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

TOP 10 REASONS TO START WALKING TODAY

Message 16 of 16

Why should you start walking? Walking for 30 to 60 minutes each day is one of the best things you can do for your body, mind, and spirit. Here are great reasons to start walking.

The Honolulu Heart Study of 8000 men found that walking just two miles a day cut the risk of death almost in half. The walkers' risk of death was especially lower from cancer. Other studies have had similar findings - if you keep walking, you improve your chances of a longer and healthier life.

More

https://www.verywellfit.com/top-reasons-to-start-walking-3435095?utm_campaign=fitsl&utm_medium=email...

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies