Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Hunger and Older Americans

Have you or someone you know experienced food insecurity? 

A recent study shows that nearly 5.5 million adults 60 and older in 2017 were food insecure — meaning that they often went hungry because they could not afford food. More than 10 million older adults are at risk of hunger every day, and older adults who are food insecure are 50 percent more likely to have diabetes and 60 percent more likely to have congestive heart failure. Food insecurity costs older adults in the U.S. an estimated $130 billion annually in additional health care expenses.

For more information, see https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/advocacy/info-2019/older-americans-food-insecure.html

Contributor

I'm one of them with a Social Security income of $12,408 per year and had to spend my $1,300 retirement pension years ago for an upper denture and have no savings.  I do own my very modest home, with electric bills in the winter of $400-500.  I get $25 a month in food stamps. Wow, what a favor?!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP