Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gardening Tips ๐ŸŒฑ Quotes ๐ŸŒธ Signsโ—๏ธ

Silver Conversationalist

Gardening Tips ๐ŸŒฑ Quotes ๐ŸŒธ Signsโ—๏ธ

Do you have a gardening tip to share? Do you have a gardening question? Do you know a garden related quote? How about a garden sign?
This is the place to share!

Tip: โ€œPlant what you love, not what you think you should grow. You are much more likely to have success tending to a crop that you actually like.โ€ ๐ŸŒฑ

โ€To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.โ€ Audrey Hepburn ๐ŸŒธ

Garden Sign: Free Weeds Pull Your Own โ—

Kudos
Views
Replies
Bronze Conversationalist

โ€Œ๐Ÿ’ฎ  I have a question regarding lilacs. My cute lilacs. They are trying so hard! The bush itself has grown large and the leaves seem very healthy but I never get as many blooms as I would like. What am I doing wrong with it? Maybe the exposure is not getting enough sunlight? Do I need to

prune it?

Lilacs 3.jpgLilacs 2.jpgLilacs 1.jpg

Silver Conversationalist

@TheSuzyQYour little lilacs are pretty. I really love the color! From what Iโ€™ve read (Bloomfield), you guessed it...pruning might be the key. Itโ€™s important to prune them immediately after theyโ€™re finished blooming in the spring. Thin out the oldest and thickest branches and trim the inner branches to allow sunlight to penetrate through the bush (you were right again!). Also consider the age of your bush, which may have grown into a tree by now. The best blooming takes place on younger wood. Lilacs want full sun which means about 6 hours a day. Mulching around your lilac is good. Lilacs thrive in well-draining soil and donโ€™t like soggy, wet roots. Over-fertilized lilacs will grow lots of greenery but not flower as much.

Good luck!

Bronze Conversationalist

๐Ÿ’ฎ Thank you, this is good advice! I will try this. ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Silver Conversationalist

โ€œIโ€™m too busy working on my own garden to notice if yours is greenerโ€.  ๐ŸŒธ

Silver Conversationalist

My daffodils and tulips are in full bloom!

7B129BAC-8A12-4A85-8461-DE56098DBD75.jpeg

9CCAD6F4-1887-4748-B8E6-A1B0E3516B45.jpeg

Bronze Conversationalist

๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒท Lovely!! Do I spy some hyacinths as well? They are one of my favorites. When I smell hyacinths, all of a sudden I am 5 years old hunting Easter eggs in my father's garden. One of my sweetest memories of childhood. ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒท

Silver Conversationalist

@TheSuzyQ Yes, thatโ€™s the last of the hyacinths. They do have such a sweet smell. Love your memory! ๐ŸŒบ

Silver Conversationalist

Tip: Plants that grow well in the desert

โ€Beyond cacti, succulents and wildflowers, the rest of the desert landscape is inhabited by trees, shrubs and grasses. Like cacti and succulents, this subgroup of desert plants does not require much care. Common plants that survive desert climates are species of cacti such as the prickly pear, barrel cactus, or organ pipe cactus. Popular flowering desert plants and shrubs are the desert lily, California poppy and aloe vera plants.โ€  ๐ŸŒฑ

Silver Conversationalist

โ€œGardening adds years to your life and life to your years.โ€  ๐ŸŒธ

Silver Conversationalist

Happy May Day!

Silver Conversationalist

Today is National Arbor Day

Bronze Conversationalist

๐ŸŒณQ: What did Luke Skywalker say to the tree on Arbor Day?

.   A:  May the FOREST be with you! ๐Ÿ˜†

๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ๐ŸŒฒ

Silver Conversationalist

Today is National Peace Rose Day

ACE32AE3-437F-4387-9052-2BC8CC96F25E.jpeg

Silver Conversationalist

Tip: โ€œPerennials that grow in the shade: Columbine, lily of the valley, Japanese forest grass, coral bells, hosta,  pachysandra and vinca.โ€ (Patterson)  ๐ŸŒฑ

Silver Conversationalist

You grow girlsโ—
Good thymesโ—
I like to play in the dirtโ—

Regular Contributor

Here is a planting tip for those that want flowers blooming all year long...

Bulbs bloom firts and in the middle of summer...

early spring...tulips, iris's, daffodils, grapebhyacinths , cacti

late spring/summer...cosmos, marigolds, roses, 4 o'clocks, hollyhocks, sunflowers, IMG_20150920_092753.jpgsunrise 086.jpgetc...

mid/late summer. gladiolas, and early fall Autum's Mist...

Planting tip...use your Iris's and woody stem herns (oregao, Thyme, Rosemary, Tarragon)  Sunflowers, bamboo, Hollyhocks to line walk ways...same with all bulbs. This will guide your visitors the direction you want them to go and stay out of the sensitive areas of your garden/yard. 

When creating sitting areas in your yard....watch the sun patterns before developing the areas.  This will provide areas for watching/enjoying sunrises and sunsets... by doing this you can creat areas specific for certain activities such watch hummingbirds feed.

You can also use plants such as bamboo to line walkways and create sceens that will play off the sun for photography purposes...yard today 008 [640x480].jpgMothers_day_sunrise 066-EFFECTS.jpgthe yard_5_13 005 [640x480].jpgmarket 110.jpgsunrise 105.jpgscorp 010.jpg

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Tip: Plants that bloom all summer long: โ€œpetunia, zinnia, hydrangea, rose of Sharon, marigold, yarrow, purple coneflower, aster, day lily, snapdragon, bee balm, dahlia and canna lily.โ€ (Patterson)  ๐ŸŒฑ

Silver Conversationalist

Tip: Air Purifying House Plants

โ€money bonsai, snake plant, weeping fig, peace lily, heart leaf philodendron, algaonema, spider plant, English ivy and Boston fernโ€ (Silas & Grace)  ๐ŸŒฑ

Bronze Conversationalist

I like having a living "green" thing in every room if possible. I have tried the Boston Ferns, but found them to be a bit temperamental. Any suggestions for keeping fern alive? ๐Ÿ™‚ Wish my thumb was greener haha.

Silver Conversationalist

Hi @TheSuzyQ ! Greenery in every room is a wonderful idea! As for the Boston fern, โ€œcheck the soil daily and make sure to give it some water if the soil feels at all dry. Dry soil is one of the number one reasons Boston ferns die. They need a cool place with high humidity and indirect light. You can try lightly misting your fern once or twice a week to help it get the humidity it needs. The leaves will turn yellow if the humidity is not high enough.โ€ (Rhoades) Good luck and happy gardening! ๐ŸŒฑ

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Plant๐ŸŒฑGrow๐ŸŒธBloomโ—

Regular Contributor

Well...while I believe "climate change" is another method used to seperate folks from their hard earned cash and make them feel good about enriching someone else....

Never-the-less I do my best to bring accurate information about our food supply and gardening tips.\Gardening With Aladay Mobile Media specializes in 'Limited Space Solutions' when it comes to gardening/farming for food production...stop by the website to see our latest and past projects

Here is our Earth Day Production

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

TODAY IS EARTH DAY! ๐ŸŒŽ 

โ€œThe earth laughs in flowers.โ€ ๐ŸŒธ

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Silver Conversationalist

@DianeC570347 (The Plant Whisperer) - Thank you for the kudos, especially on Earth Day! I was looking back at the โ€œAre You a Gardener?โ€ thread from last year started by @AARPRachelA. I didnโ€™t know it existed, so I started this one about a month ago. Do you still garden on your balcony? Are you still involved with โ€˜Illinois Farm to Schoolโ€™? Please share! ๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒธโ—

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

409C6E82-9FC9-4E66-8C01-54F7CFFD8ED6.jpeg

This chart shows how often to water some common houseplants.  ๐ŸŒฑ

Trusted Social Butterfly

Typically, the reason that over watering occurs is that the roots lack oxygen and the growth of anaerobic bacteria.  All of the above plants, except succulents and epiphytic orchids, can be grown hydroponically in an aerated water solution.   If potted, the time between watering depends on the plant, size of the plant relative to the pot, humidity, amount of light and planting media.  If the planting media is sufficiently coarse such that water cannot fill most of the air pockets, it is almost impossible to over water.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

"Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the flowers, Kind deeds are the fruits, Take care of your garden And keep out the weeds, Fill it with sunshine, Kind words, and Kind deeds."  ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Silver Conversationalist

โ€œIf I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I would walk in my garden forever.โ€  Tennyson. ๐ŸŒธ

Silver Conversationalist

Tip: Planting certain vegetables and herbs next to each other helps them grow. 
โ€œcabbage & marigolds, cucumbers & radishes, cucumbers & sunflowers (shade), onions & carrots, herbs & just about anything (I.e. peppermint scares away mice, mosquitoes & ants), lettuce in between rows of carrots & onions (helps to suppress weeds by creating shade) and corn, beans & squash (the 3 sisters)โ€ Sutter  ๐ŸŒฑ

Bronze Conversationalist

These are great hints. I think I need to revamp my garden blueprint. I didn't know that about peppermint. I like to plan it out all on graph paper ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP