Conversationalist

Gardening Tips 🌱 Quotes 🌸 Signs❗️

Do you have a gardening tip to share? Do you have a gardening question? Do you know a garden related quote? How about a garden sign?
This is the place to share!

Tip: “Plant what you love, not what you think you should grow. You are much more likely to have success tending to a crop that you actually like.” 🌱

”To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.” Audrey Hepburn 🌸

Garden Sign: Free Weeds Pull Your Own

Kudos
Views
Replies
Conversationalist

@EnjoyingMyLifeInVA “A ladybug is a good sign in a garden because it can mean fewer problems from pests, particularly the dreaded aphids. In addition to aphids, ladybugs also feed on other soft-bodied plant-eating insects, including mites.”  They also bring GOOD LUCK...so I’ve been told!  🌱

Gold Conversationalist

Lol @LindaB671 I need some GOOD LUCK = need to go make sure there are LADY BUGS outside 🤣😂 Thanks for response 🤗

Angela
Recognized Social Butterfly

After she tells you that ladybugs eat aphids, it may interest you to know that ants raise aphids like humans raise cows.  Aphids are sometimes called "ant cows."

https://www.factmonster.com/encyclopedia/ecology/animals/invertebrates/aphid/ant-cows

Gold Conversationalist

@aruzinsky interesting 🙂

Angela
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Hi @AARPRachelA  - From what I have read, aphids especially like the under side of plants, so be sure to treat those areas as well. You can often get rid of aphids by wiping or spraying the leaves of the plant with a mild solution of water, a few drops of dish soap and a pinch of cayenne pepper. This solution should be reapplied every 2-3 days for 2 weeks. Diatomaceous earth can be sprinkled over all surfaces of a plant to create a repellent barrier. An old fashioned remedy is to dust the plants with flour. Companion planting can be done. Some plants such as mustards and nasturtiums will lure aphids to them, away from other plants. Plants which repel aphids, such as catnip, garlic and chives, can be planted. (Espiritu & Nielson). 🌱

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imidacloprid

I have used Imidacloprid to eradicate aphids.  Remarkably, it is the only thing that I've tried that eradicates mealy bugs.  Consider yourself lucky that you don't have mealy bugs.  Wear a respirator when spraying.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

“Spring is nature’s way of saying, ‘Let’s party!’”  - Robin Williams. 🌸

Tip: Grow variegated cannas for attractive foliage and flowers at the same time.

CannaRow1.jpg

CannaRow2.jpg

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Tip: “Fragrant flowers that will add sweet scents to your garden: dianthus, gardenia, nicotiana, oriental lily, garden phlox, rose, sweet pea, lily of the valley, hyacinth, bearded iris, lilac, flowering crabapple, heliotrope, lavender, sweet alyssum, peony, moonflower, southern magnolia, daffodil and azalea.”  (Greetz). 🌱

People in Florida or California can grow White Ginger, hedychium coronarium, which has very fragrant flowers.  The closest odor I can think of is vanilla but it isn't close.  I am going to try to grow it in my northern garden, like a canna,

Moonflower, ipomoea alba, is normally a vine similar to morning glory but it only blooms at night.  I stopped the vining habit of moonflower with the growth regulator, uniconazole, and grew it as a potted plant.

UniconizoleMoodFlowerCloseup7-26-18.jpg

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Tip: How to get rid of snails and slugs in your garden:

1. The plant astrantia gives off a scent that repels slugs. Other plants which deter slugs are wormwood, rue, fennel, anise and rosemary.

2. Remove shelter. Slugs will seek cover under bricks, garden furniture and logs.

3. Make a beer trap. Bury a half filled container, with 2-3 cm of rim above ground, near vulnerable plants. The scent will lure slugs which then fall in and get stuck.

4. Create a prickly barrier. Laying down grit [crushed egg shells (debatable), sand, pine needles, thorny cuttings, or diatomaceous earth (pros and cons)] will deter and eventually kill these pests.

5. Place a lure. Have a pile of old lettuce leaves or dried cat food in a damp shady corner to attract a large number of slugs.

Also note: Damp, cool conditions will attract slugs. Mulch traps moisture, so you may need to temporarily remove it if it’s badly infested with slugs. (Funnel). 🌱

@TheSuzyQ 

Super Contributor

These are great tips! I am going to experiment with a couple. Thanks!

“I’ve always felt that having a garden is like having a good and loyal friend.” – C Z Guest

Kudos
Views

Gardening Tip: Imitate the best at growing, not socializing.

For example, the best grower of tomatoes is:

https://returntonow.net/2020/07/21/man-sets-guinness-world-record-with-28-foot-tomato-plant-that-pro...

37222531_10151053221894964_6432756515618160640_n.jpg

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

“Mothers are flowers in the garden of life.” Fuller  🌸

Conversationalist

“Nature does not hurry and yet everything is accomplished.”  🌸

Super Contributor

💮  I have a question regarding lilacs. My cute lilacs. They are trying so hard! The bush itself has grown large and the leaves seem very healthy but I never get as many blooms as I would like. What am I doing wrong with it? Maybe the exposure is not getting enough sunlight? Do I need to

prune it?

Lilacs 3.jpgLilacs 2.jpgLilacs 1.jpg

Conversationalist

@TheSuzyQYour little lilacs are pretty. I really love the color! From what I’ve read (Bloomfield), you guessed it...pruning might be the key. It’s important to prune them immediately after they’re finished blooming in the spring. Thin out the oldest and thickest branches and trim the inner branches to allow sunlight to penetrate through the bush (you were right again!). Also consider the age of your bush, which may have grown into a tree by now. The best blooming takes place on younger wood. Lilacs want full sun which means about 6 hours a day. Mulching around your lilac is good. Lilacs thrive in well-draining soil and don’t like soggy, wet roots. Over-fertilized lilacs will grow lots of greenery but not flower as much.

Good luck!

Super Contributor

💮 Thank you, this is good advice! I will try this. 💮

Conversationalist

“I’m too busy working on my own garden to notice if yours is greener”.  🌸

Conversationalist

My daffodils and tulips are in full bloom!

7B129BAC-8A12-4A85-8461-DE56098DBD75.jpeg

9CCAD6F4-1887-4748-B8E6-A1B0E3516B45.jpeg

Super Contributor

🌷🌷🌷 Lovely!! Do I spy some hyacinths as well? They are one of my favorites. When I smell hyacinths, all of a sudden I am 5 years old hunting Easter eggs in my father's garden. One of my sweetest memories of childhood. 🌷🌷🌷

Conversationalist

@TheSuzyQ Yes, that’s the last of the hyacinths. They do have such a sweet smell. Love your memory! 🌺

Conversationalist

Tip: Plants that grow well in the desert

”Beyond cacti, succulents and wildflowers, the rest of the desert landscape is inhabited by trees, shrubs and grasses. Like cacti and succulents, this subgroup of desert plants does not require much care. Common plants that survive desert climates are species of cacti such as the prickly pear, barrel cactus, or organ pipe cactus. Popular flowering desert plants and shrubs are the desert lily, California poppy and aloe vera plants.”  🌱

Conversationalist

“Gardening adds years to your life and life to your years.”  🌸

Conversationalist

Happy May Day!

Conversationalist

Today is National Arbor Day

Super Contributor

🌳Q: What did Luke Skywalker say to the tree on Arbor Day?

.   A:  May the FOREST be with you! 😆

🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲

Conversationalist

Today is National Peace Rose Day

ACE32AE3-437F-4387-9052-2BC8CC96F25E.jpeg

Conversationalist

Tip: “Perennials that grow in the shade: Columbine, lily of the valley, Japanese forest grass, coral bells, hosta,  pachysandra and vinca.” (Patterson)  🌱

Conversationalist

You grow girls
Good thymes
I like to play in the dirt