Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gardening Tips ๐ŸŒฑ Quotes ๐ŸŒธ Signsโ—๏ธ

Silver Conversationalist

Gardening Tips ๐ŸŒฑ Quotes ๐ŸŒธ Signsโ—๏ธ

Do you have a gardening tip to share? Do you have a gardening question? Do you know a garden related quote? How about a garden sign?
This is the place to share!

Tip: โ€œPlant what you love, not what you think you should grow. You are much more likely to have success tending to a crop that you actually like.โ€ ๐ŸŒฑ

โ€To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.โ€ Audrey Hepburn ๐ŸŒธ

Garden Sign: Free Weeds Pull Your Own โ—

Kudos
Views
Replies
Regular Contributor

I also have gardening videos ...check the project page on my website for some of the current and past projects...

Regular Contributor

here is an article https://aladaymobilemedia.com/companion-planting-pt1/ 

from my website...I also have PDF's available...

Regular Contributor

That is interesting. Wonder iof there are any unintended side affects...even though it is an organic compouind I can't help but wonder about the 'chemical' aspect of things... I'll have to ask my contact at US Rioght to KNow and I'll post what I find...

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@aruzinsky Have you tried this?

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@LindaB671 wrote:

@aruzinsky Have you tried this?

If you clicked on the link, you would know.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Signs for succulents:

Aloe thereโ—
Canโ€™t touch thisโ—(cactus)

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

IMG_20160425_125641.jpgIMG_20160425_125650.jpgPlanters 012.JPG

Planter ideas from Aladay Organic Farms...now Aladay Mobile Media....

Regular Contributor

7_2_13_PHONE 007.jpgAround the farm...Easter 003.jpgfrom the yard5-21 016 - Copy (Copy).jpgthe yard_5_13 003 [640x480].jpgthe yard_5_13 037 [640x480].jpgMothers_day_sunrise 066-EFFECTS.jpg

These are just a few of the Iris's that were in the Ros garden at Aladay Organic farms. A past project . I designed this farm in Silver Springs Nevada. The farm was chosen Best Organic farm the 7 years I lived and worked it from 2009-2016. For more information on agriculture type projects I have done visit my website  

Silver Conversationalist

@AaronA108617  The colors of these are so vibrant! Very nice!

Regular Contributor

Thank you

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Today is National Orchid Day named for an infant who sadly passed away in 2014. Her name was Orchid Faith.

Silver Conversationalist

@AARPRachelA  The DC blooms are beautiful! Here in NY we are a bit behind you. The tree almost looks like it is full of cherry blossoms, but I canโ€™t be sure. The other one looks like a type of ground cover.

Silver Conversationalist

โ€œRemember your roots.โ€ ๐ŸŒธ

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Happy Friday and belated National Gardening Day! The blooms are out in DC - here are some I have come across while walking around. I have no idea what a couple of these flowers/trees are called. I know the tulips and daffodils. Does anyone know what the other two are?

cute yellow flowers.jpg

fluffy pink blossoms.jpg

daffodils.jpg

red tulips.jpg

Community Manager
Community Manager

This was on my tea tag and I thought of you all when I read it.

Plant kindness and gather love. -Proverb

๐Ÿ’œ๐ŸŒป

Silver Conversationalist

@AARPRachelA  Love it! Thank you for sharing!

Silver Conversationalist

Happy NATIONAL GARDENING DAY!

๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒธโ—๏ธ๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒธโ—๏ธ๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒธโ—๏ธ๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒธโ—๏ธ๐ŸŒฑ

Whether you grow vegetables, fruit, flowers or houseplants National Gardening Day celebrates a satisfying pastime that you will enjoy for decades!

BCBC846A-90B3-41F3-83B0-384E79D43443.jpeg

Bronze Conversationalist

๐ŸŒธ  Beautiful orchids!  Orchids were my father's favorite flower. He used an orchid to propose to my mother. He presented her one after a lovely dinner and told her to look inside where he had stashed the ring! ๐Ÿ’  He used to grow them in his green house throughout his life. I never acquired his expertise. Question: How do you get your orchids to rebloom? I need tips and tricks. I have tried to store them in their dormant season but have never been able to get them back. ๐Ÿƒ

Silver Conversationalist

@TheSuzyQ I love how your grandfather proposed to your grandmother by placing her ring in an orchid! I can see why you love them. I donโ€™t have any real hidden secrets with mine. I have it in a window facing the east (they say east or south is best) and I am careful not to over water it (once a week or less is best) as the roots can become soggy. After it is done blooming I cut back that stem. They say you can transplant to a larger pot and cut back wilted roots as well. I have not transplanted mine for fear of disturbing it. Some people move theirs to a cooler area (55-65 degrees) in indirect light until a new flower spike grows. I have not found the need to do this. Some varieties are recommended for outside but almost all do not do well in soil, instead use orchid potting mix containing wood chips or bark. I have read that the easiest to grow is the Phalaenopsis. ๐ŸŒฑ

EF7D0255-1254-4009-8393-C898B43A91B6.jpeg

Bronze Conversationalist

๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต

โ€œGardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful!'

and sitting in the shade.โ€ โ€• Rudyard Kipling

I guess I need to get out there and get going! ๐Ÿ˜€

๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต๐Ÿต

Silver Conversationalist

โ€œIn search of my motherโ€™s garden, I found my own.โ€ Walker. ๐ŸŒธ

Silver Conversationalist

Garden SIGN: Free Weeds Pull Your Own โ—Do you have a Gardening Tip, Quote or SIGN to share?

Silver Conversationalist

โ€œApril showers bring May flowers.โ€ ๐ŸŒธ

Silver Conversationalist

โ€œOn man, on nature, and on human life, musing in solitude, I oft perceive fair trains of images before me rise, accompanied by feelings of delight, pure or with no unpleasing sadness mixed.โ€ William Wordsworth. ๐ŸŒธ

Silver Conversationalist

โ€œBy plucking her petals, you do not gather the beauty of the flower.โ€ ๐ŸŒธ

0 Kudos

I am growing extra large sunflowers in the back of my garden this year.  Just because...Iโ€™ve always wanted to.  I started them from seeds and they are now about 4โ€ tall in the temp containers.  Someone said, โ€œrabbits love eating new plants and I should cage them until they are largerโ€ (wire cages).  Is this true?  How soon should I replant them from temp pots to in-the-ground (N. Virginia, 22204)?  Height?  Temp?  Do they need temp sticks to hold them up for a bit after transplant?  Any other suggestions would be helpful, please.

Silver Conversationalist

@cf19074171  I love sunflowers! ๐ŸŒป

According to The Old Farmerโ€™s Almanac , on average, where you live, your last spring frost occurs on April 19th. A week before this start โ€˜hardening offโ€™ to prepare for transplant. This is the process of gradually acclimating indoor-sown plants to outdoor conditions. Begin by watering your plants then place outside in a crate or container somewhere off the ground for two hours the first day, then two more hours the second day, etc.. 

โ€œWhile rabbits tend to bypass sunflower blooms, they are fond of the leaves. You can sprinkle manure in the garden or plant rabbit resistant plants around them. These include alyssum, lantana, marigold, geranium, begonia, snapdragon, butterfly bush and lavender.โ€ You can put wire mesh around your sunflowers for added protection. ๐ŸŒฑ

Silver Conversationalist

Tip: Give breathing room.

โ€Resist the urge to cram as many plants as you possibly can. Thereโ€™s as much root mass growing below as there is foliage above. Crowding plants leads to decreased growth and production, as well as problems from lack of airflow between branches and leaves.โ€ Forkner. ๐ŸŒฑ

Bronze Conversationalist

I always forget to give adequate spacing. Thank you for the tip! ๐ŸŒฑ

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist

โ€œNo winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn.โ€  Borland. ๐ŸŒธ

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP