Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Best Foods for Gut Health

I'm a big plain greek yogurt and kombucha fan, and the probiotics help keep my gut balanced and healthy! What foods do you eat regularly for gut health?

A nourished GI track can make you stronger, fitter and happier. Check out What to Eat to Improve Your Gut Health if you're looking for ideas on what to eat.

Conversationalist

I bought some of these probiotics...

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 1.05.04 AM.png

...last week for a friend who was having some gastrointestinal...issues. He thanked me but said he doubt they'd do any good, so passed on them.  #&$@% ingrate.

So I took them home. They were a buck for a shrink-wrapped pack of five. The little bottles are quite small — why, no bigger than your thumb! Presumably.

I've had one each morning. Evidently, the one thing I see online in reviews that people are not happy about is the high (?) sugar content.

So far, they taste good, anyway. Whether they're doing me any good digestively, well...the jury's still out.

Kudos
Views

I eat an average of 7 servings of fruits and vegetables each day.  I eat a lot of high-fiber foods like quinoa.  I drink homemade lemon ginger tea to help things stay happy in there.

Conversationalist

@TheresaS933090 wrote:

I eat an average of 7 servings of fruits and vegetables each day.  I eat a lot of high-fiber foods like quinoa.

"Joaquin.""Joaquin."

Love these commercials.

And I actually enjoy quinoa, whether or not I can pronounce it. 

Social Butterfly

What’s up with all the use of the word "gut" lately?  Mine just rests peacefully on my lap!

Conversationalist

Ha!  I've noticed that, too — the use of the word, anyway. (Not necessarily my gut's resting place.) Funny how certain words and phrases go in and out of vogue. I think it's much more noticeable these days due to how much info we consume online. 

Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

Homemade sauerkraut and other fermented veggies such as carrots, daikon radishes, onions, and hot peppers! Sauerkraut is the easiest thing in the world to make, just salt and shredded cabbage. I ferment it in the ceramic "pot" pulled out of an old crockpot.

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Conversationalist

Love sauerkraut! Didn't realize it was so easy to make — just salt and let it ferment!  May have to try making it.

It can't go any worse than 2018's horrible "kombucha" experiment, right?  

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Community Manager

yummm i love sauerkraut. good idea to use an old ceramic crock!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP