2 Huge losses is less than 2 years

To say I am struggling is an understatement.  16 months ago we lost one of our sons after an extended illness.  Last month I lost the one person who saw me thru the devestating loss of our son - my husband.  I am reeling - trying to understand why God has asked my family to endure yet another major loss.  My husband's loss was quick, unexpected, and devestating.  I am seeing a counselor weekly which helps.  I'm 61 years old and the thought of going through 20=30 years alone is just overwhelming.  My children and grandchildren are being amazing, however, I don't want their lives to stop worrying about me.  I appreciate your kindness in replying.

I am so sorry for your losses.

In 2018, I lost my husband in January, my mother-in-law in June, and my father in July. I did have grief counseling for a few sessions. I will be honest and say that I still have not grieved my husband as of yet. We were married 45 years and I lost my best friend and soulmate. I am just putting one foot in front of the other each day. Some days are good, some are not so good.

There is no set time to grieving; we all need to grieve in our own way and in our own time.

I wish you the best through your journey.

Contributor

Trina- you are not alone. I lost a 21 year old son 2 years ago and then my husband in January, both to suicide. I am reeling as well- life doesn't always make sense. I'm glad I am here to support and enjoy my other two children. I try to focus on the joy in each day. You never get over losing loved ones, but you can look to a positive future.I am in my early fifties and hopefully I still have a long life ahead of me. I find support groups and therapy to be helpful.

Contributor

It's really good that you have regular counseling. Is there a grief therapy group (likely through Hospice)? I found the other grief group people helped me more through their sharing than anything the facilitator said. 
my husband died suddenly 5 years ago. He was 68. I'm just turning 68 in June. Like you I can't imagine not having him with me for all these years to come. 

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost a son, also. It is so wrong for a child to die before their parents. I can only imagine that one of a kind pain. And the death of your husband surely touched off all that pain, too. 

I don't believe that God had anything to do with the death of our loved ones except to walk with us afterwards so that we won't be alone. I think God and the angels cry with us even though they are able to see the wider perspective of lives and the world. They feel our pain. 

I hope you are able to feel that love feeling through your grief. You are never completely alone. I think your loved ones are nearby even though they are on the Other Side. They are close to you; checking in. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: Juggling Caregiving Amidst Coronavirus this Holiday Season

Join AARP's Family and Caregiving Expert Amy Goyer to uncover the best ways to navigate the holiday season with your loved ones. Ask and Learn Now.

AARP Members Only Games

Was Breakout your favorite Atari game? Ready to knock out some bricks? AARP Members, now's your chance.

Don't let the ball hit the ground!
AARP Members Only Games Atari Breakout
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg