Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Hartford Auto Ins endorsed by AARP

I have Hartford Auto insurance for the last three years. I got a shock of my life when the renewal rate went up by almost 40 percent effective Dec/23! And this rate is based on a perfect driving record for past 4 years, no citations or claims.

My concern is the ‘blind’ endorsement of Hartford Ins by AARP. I am very curious about this relationship. Is the truly serving the members of AARP as being so publicly touted.

So I was forced to shop around and guess what, there are cheaper insurance rates out there. 

Ended up signing up with Progressive Ins for same endorsements for $1029 less! No joke! These people are ripping us off. And we need to question AARP loyalty to Hartford Ins. Folks they may think we are older and stupid, but please question everything where your money is concerned.

Please share your experience regarding Hartford Ins. If there is enough dissatisfaction, we could bring the matter to AARP. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi @Ajshak, I understand that you had concerns regarding the increase in the cost of your policy. The Hartford advised that the increase in the price of your policy was primarily caused by a rate revision that was implemented by The Hartford in your state. The Hartford instituted this rate revision because of the increase in the volume of claims that were filed with the company in your state and/or an increase in the cost to conduct business within your state. Before The Hartford can issue a statewide rate increase within a given state, the increase must first be approved by the state’s insurance commission.

While our programs are specifically designed for our members and are price competitive, there may be times when AARP-branded products or services do not offer the lowest prices available in the marketplace. Since everyone has their own specific product needs, we do encourage our members to shop and select the products that best suit their needs. We understand that competitive pricing is a major concern in offering products to our members. However, value, service and availability are equally important in the development of our programs.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused. Thank you for your valued membership with AARP.

Sincerely, 

Mariama A.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Hi, Aj! Same issue back in 2016, for both elderly mom and myself; ended up going elsewhere (as you did). Have found many issues with "AARP sponsors". Another was UHC; they always had the front stage at AARP get-togethers (conventions) but after years of using their services, found other providers provided more for less...

My personal experience tells me to research any AARP recommendations and results.

Thanks for bringing this topic to the forefront!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP