Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Beware ~ Consumer Cellular NOT a monthly Pay-As-You-Go Deal

Beware ~ Consumer Cellular NOT a monthly Pay-As-You-Go Deal

Just a tip for other seniors looking for a cheap cell phone service without a lot of bells and whistles.

Consumer Cellular offers a plan that "looks" like it's a pay-as-you-go deal. That you pay monthly...no long term contracts...etc, etc.  One might assume if you stop using the service, ie, get hospitalized, become infirm, spend time in rehab, get admitted to a nursing home, pass away...the service is not being used month after month after month...they would just cancel the account. You might think it's a monthly service....paid monthly...not being used...end of account. Right?

Wrong.  Just because you're not using the service doesn't mean they stop billing you. They do. Monthly. Even when the poor soul is not using the service. And they will continue to bill you until you cancel the service...by Phone. Or by Live Chat with their Customer Service. Because there is no way to cancel the service on line. There is no "Cancel Service" button. I spent over an hour trying to cancel my 94 year old mother's account, which she has not used in well over 3 months.  I have to pay them up to the time I cancel the account. Be Aware going into the deal...it is NOT a pay-as-you-go monthly account. And not very friendly for seniors' special needs.

Retired Moderator

Hi Laurence, so sorry to hear of your experience with Consumer Cellular. I certainly understand your frustration. You are correct; Consumer Cellular is not a pre-paid or pay-as-you-go carrier, and they do not require contracts, just as most cellular companies no longer require. Consumer Cellular provides traditional post-paid service, billed much like post-paid cellular service with AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. This type of billing is standard with non-prepaid services, and requires that consumers contact the company directly to cancel service, similar to all other post-paid services like utility bills, for example. Consumer Cellular also offers some of the lowest rates for post-paid cellular plans in the industry. In addition, as an AARP member, you can always contact AARP for help if you have an issue with an AARP provider, and we'll be glad to reach out to the provider on your behalf to thoroughly investigate and work to resolve your concern. I hope this information is helpful!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP