Periodic Contributor

Outspell Words that aren't words or English words

How come they use words that no one knows, or words that aren't even in the regular dictionary.  they use words that are so archaic, or not words at all, like EE.  What's that?  And, they recognize Amy, but not John, Jon or June, or state abbreviations, but other abbreviations that no one knows, at least I don't.  I just played and a word came up that wasn't in the dictionary.  This makes the game no fun at all.  If they used words that were in the Oxford English dictionary, and not the NEW updated one that they got from who knows where, with a word like za, it would be more fun.  Don't they understand that we aren't teenagers who are up with the current lingo?  Use words that are in the English dictionary and not foreign words that we don't know and use words that we DO know.  I'm just not enjoying this game any more.   Just played and they put down 'saim' not a word, then 'jefe' not even an English word.  And, sometimes words show up that I didn't even see put down and they get points for it.  It seems to cheat a lot as I get 3 or 4 i's or u's or n's.  Even if I change the letters, I still get all vowels 😞  I now hate this game!

Periodic Contributor

They should use age appropriate words.  We're not kids, we don't know these words, especially the word that they just put up "VUM" isn't even a word in the Google dictionary. More irritating than fun. I wonder if there is any one to complain to.

Super Contributor

Michelle,I think they are using abbreviations for 'stuff' they use on Twitter etc.  I'm guessing, because it's impossible to know otherwise.  It isn't fair to us older folks, and I thought this was suppose to be a site for the elders !  Now, the minute someone hits 50 (which is far from old) they get an application to join AARP !!  I don't do Twitter, Facebook nor any other of those social media sites.  I only like coming in here to realize I'm not alone ! 😃

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

They don't use real abbreviations, like states, chemicals, names, etc.  The other day they had a word that had something to do with languages I didn't even know existed.  And, have you noticed that you get all i's, o's, u's and the computer doesn't?  There should be somewhere that we can complain about the dictionary they are using.  All we need is the Merriam Webster or Oxford English dictionaries.  In Scrabble, you can't use foreign words, in this one they (not we) can use made up words.  I, too, thought it was for us old folks to pass the time, not raise our blood pressure.  What in the heck is ZA?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I agree. We need a standard dictionary.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Seems like we older folk are out of the loop these days, doesn't it Michelle? I am even having trouble with the crossword puzzles in the newspaper now.  Words and phases that I've never heard of.  And, since when did we ever get phases for hints before?! I agree with you; it's no fun anymore.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I can understand the newspaper crossword not using words that we, the old folks, know, as it's for everyone.  But, these games are supposed to be for us, and not something to get our hackles up.  That's exactly what it does, makes us angry that they aren't taking into account that we don't know the popular and modern jargon.  Do they read these things?  If so, why don't they do something about it?   Grrrrrr.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @MichelM823788 and @JudithP526204,

Thank you for your posts, and I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing frustration with the selection of words included in Outspell.  I wanted to give you a little more information about the words used in the game and point you to the in-game dictionary tool as a resource.

The Outspell word bank is a proprietary collection, but it is derived from several other popular word game dictionaries, like Scrabble. Based on feedback we’ve gotten from players, Outspell strives to let you use as many words as possible to prevent players from encountering real words they cannot put in. (Profanity and inappropriate words have been removed, of course.) To keep the play fairer, Outspell also limits the words the computer opponent can use. Players can use many more words than the computer can.    

I wanted to point you to Outspell’s built-in dictionary tool included in the game for players’ convenience. It’s located at the orange button on the lower-right of the game board. All words used in Outspell can be found here. The dictionary will display your letter tiles at the top, and you can type in various combinations in the bottom bar to find words that might be less known or unfamiliar. Hopefully, the dictionary feature can alleviate some of the frustration you’re experiencing with Outspell’s expansive word bank.

1.jpg

I hope this is helpful, and thank you for being a part of the AARP Games Community!

2.jpg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

No, no, that was not helpful!  I don't want to have words that are not words.  I just got the word 'nonche' that is not in the dictionary.  The REAL dictionary, not the crazy one you guys came up with.  And, now I get the word 'tenpid' and the Google dictionary says "No results found for tenpid".  Come on, use words that we, the older folks, can relate to, not this gibberish junk or that condecending comment that I was just fed.  A lot of people are frustrated with this, just as I am.  Please consider using either the Oxford English or the Merriam Webster dictionaries that have words in them, real words!  This is making me take a second look at AARP.  If you want to cater to the younger folks, then that's just fine, but count me out.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi Lynn, I don't play Outspell, but I can feel Michell's frustration. Most elders play the games for entertainment. This game doesn't cut it, in my opinion.  Even after looking at what you have displayed, I get totally confused. I don't think I may be stupid, but then again....?!  LOL 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

And Lynn, I forgot to mention that it may be nice for us to have a site where we can talk with one another ?  Most times we comment but don't get response. Is that possible?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Just got a computer word 'vum'.  Looked it up on the Google Dictionary.  It's not a word!  I'd like a copy of the dictionary this game uses, it has to be a doozy!

0 Kudos

Hi Michel

Vum is a word, not one that I would know or use .  It means to swear or take an oath    I noticed something in the past few months.  I do WordWipe and I see many words that I never heard of but I also noticed that many words, and excuse me for this like fart and **bleep** are no longer there and they were for over a year.   I also noticed that words like Dos or gif which are computer terms.  It looks as if the paper dictionary that I used as a kid and school girl is not like it was.     Have a great day and be safe.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

MichellM, I looked up "VUM", and it's a doozy alright !  It's supposed to mean: Swear or Oath. Pray tell ....? !!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png