Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Games: Red Bar (Website Header)

We just recently introduced our new website header (the red bar at the top of the screen) to provide a consistent user interface with the rest of the AARP.org website, improve website familiarity, and increase the speed of page load.

We’ve noticed some desktop users are having trouble with the website header bar impeding gameplay. We have determined adblocking software might be interfering, causing the header bar (red bar) to move down the page as you scroll (see photo below). This issue is remedied for some by turning off adblocking software.

red bar.png

For more information on the new website header, read AARP Games: Mega Menu (Website Header)

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

What is the difficulty in returning to the old format? They messed up a good thing

Periodic Contributor

Hannah, you should know by now that ad blockers are not the reason, this needs to be fixed asap. Myself and enough others have expressed our frustration concerning this situation, hoping I will soon be able to play my games without having to deal with the intruding red bar. Thanks, Jim.

Turning off ad blocker didn't help.  This is so frustrating!  

Periodic Contributor

I'm having issues with the red header bar while playing games. My ad blocker is off and I can not play games due to the banner blocking my screen. Tell me another way to fix this problem, this has been going on for almost a week. Thanks, Jim.

Periodic Contributor

The problem is NOT just that red bar. That seems to be replaced with a white bar with red logo. ABOVE that bar are several bars.All the bars seem to be 1.5" on my screen.

My screen is 15" wide and about 8.5" tall. There is a white bar across the top of the screen where Google places ads. That takes up 1.5". Even when you report the ad to google as blocking content, it never goes away. The next bar is the AARP bar, red logo, white bar, 1.5' on my screen, so there's 3.5" of bars blocking my screen,

The next bar is white with the word GAMES displayed and a search bar. That's another 1.5", so total of 5" unusable screen.

Next is the 1.5" white bar with the "ALL" drop down menu in the upper half of that bar. The rest is white space.

6.5" of unusable space blocking my 8.5" vertical space leaves a useful area of 2-3" where I can play a game. To view the Arkadium games section I must scroll up and down trying to view the game screen, or, leave the AARP website. go to the Arkadium website and play games at their website.

Compare the way the games are displayed on both websites. It seems Arkadium is using AARP to lure customers away from AARP's website using the fact that older people have vision problems.

Regular Contributor

Hannah: Thank you for the update on the plan to revisit the recent changes to the navigation menus.  I'm certainly happy to see that there is a desire to address the concerns of the community.  Please understand that the, sometimes sharp-elbowed, comments are not directed at the Community Managers such as yourself.  Website design and functionality decisions are always a challenge and even small changes can create unexpected problems.  

Clearly these recent changes struck a chord and I'm happy to see that a solution is in the works.  

Thank you for your efforts to raise these issues with the powers-that-be in support of your, obviously passionate, community. 

Contributor

Thank you for response to the community regarding AARP's solution for this issue.  Unfortunately AARP's solution highlights an equally troubling issue.  Your solution to members who experienced the banner problem is to turn-off ad blocking software on our computers.  Your answer informs us that AARP intentionally re-programmed the games pages to "enable" the banner to interfere with users who have ad blocking enabled on their computer.  Shame on AARP !  My very elderly mother looks forward to playing these games on a daily basis.  She doesn't otherwise understand how to use a computer, she just knows how to access her games.  I am a long-term member who also contributes to AARP causes.  I didn't join AARP to be constantly bombarded by advertisements while using the AARP website.  This speaks volumes about how AARP feels about their members.  This is a matter of principle with me.  I am considering cancelling my membership because of this.  

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @4flmr, thank you for reaching out to share the issues you’re experiencing playing games. We are actively working on addressing two issues, i.e., the red bar and the expanded menu. Our technical teams are giving them top priority and it is expected the solutions will be rolled out this month, as each is available. We know they are paramount to a positive gaming experience. Thank you for your patience as the issues are corrected. As more information is available, it will be posted here.

Contributor

Hi. Any updates on correcting the games website header problems? AARP games is my daily mental exercise platform.  Unfortunately, now it is my daily source of frustration and disappointment.

Please emphasize to the teams the importance of restoring this valuable resource.

Thank you.

Periodic Contributor

Thank you, Hannah

The one thing that I looked forward to was the AARP games. Now it is hard on my eyes and if you are holding the pointer and it goes off the game moves. Very frustrating. Why did they change the format.?

Community Manager
Community Manager

That's a great question, @9442758. The menu was updated to be cohesive with how the menu displays across aarp.org, and to increase the speed of page load. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

We just want to play games.  Not access AARP.  It is easy enough to find other ways.  Also if you barely move across the bar it brings up the menu even if you didn't click on it .  Extremely frustrating.  Why change a good thing?  Moving to another game site.

Thank you for posting this.  Many of us are experiencing this problem.  Obviously, AARP does not care about the people whom they, purportedly, assist.  Thank you AARP for your hypocrisy.

Unfortunately, I can't get the banner to go away.  Frustrating because I do lots of word games.  Please help!  Thank you.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @AngelaP524839 thank you for reaching out to share the issues you’re experiencing playing games. We are actively working on addressing two issues, i.e., the red bar and the expanded menu. Our technical teams are giving them top priority and it is expected the solutions will be rolled out this month, as each is available. We know they are paramount to a positive gaming experience. Thank you for your patience as the issues are corrected. As more information is available, it will be posted here.

Regular Contributor

This isn't a solution, as it still doesn't work. And here it's several days after I initially posted about the issue, and it's still an issue. Guess I won't be playing on this site anymore...and maybe I'll be reconsidering my membership, too. Your site designers clearly didn't test this.

Periodic Contributor

I do not have ad blocking software and I still cannot play.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SallyG390361 thank you for reaching out to share the issues you’re experiencing playing games. We are actively working on addressing two issues, i.e., the red bar and the expanded menu. Our technical teams are giving them top priority and it is expected the solutions will be rolled out this month, as each is available. We know they are paramount to a positive gaming experience. Thank you for your patience as the issues are corrected. As more information is available, it will be posted here.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPHannah wrote:

We just recently introduced our new website header

We’ve noticed some desktop users are having trouble with the website header bar impeding gameplay. 

This issue is remedied by turning off adblocking software.

First of all, did your technicians NOT TEST this major change to your web site prior to populating it out to the users? Of course they didn't or you wouldn't have multiple users, using multiple browsers, complaining about the same issue.

Please, please don't dispense misinformation. As more than one user has already concluded, AdBlocker enabled or AdBlocker disabled makes NO DIFFERENCE.

Finally, having been a member for many years, having used this site for many years, I know for a fact that EVERY TIME there is a MAJOR CHANGE to the site, that there are issues that NEGATIVELY affect the users ability to use the site.

I don't know what testing procedures is used prior to introducing major changes but I know IT SEEMS LIKE there are none.

Periodic Contributor

too many 'pencil pushers' with nothing better to do than fix something that isn't broke

Contributor

I

I turned in off in my add blocker! It let me click on the object that I wanted to block.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Westover@cmauld@bonniesz50@Meleah@sj8493@JPM56@MaryK60871,

We appreciate you reaching out to share the issues you’re experiencing playing games. We are actively working on addressing two issues, i.e., the red bar and the expanded menu. Our technical teams are giving them top priority and it is expected the solutions will be rolled out this month, as each is available. We know they are paramount to a positive gaming experience. Thank you for your patience as the issues are corrected. As more information is available, it will be posted here.     

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello Hannah.

Thank you for listening. I am not using the site right now. I loved playing the games every day and miss that. I also, at least once a week, visit the main site to review what was new and my benefits. I enjoy the benefits of being an AARP member. I have been a member for over 15 years. Thanks again for responding and I hope it gets fixed.

Contributor

Without the adblocker, the site is useless. All I get are annoying and long-lasting ads! Take out the banner. I don't use the site at all now.

Contributor

Are you kidding me?  The moving red banner sucks.  Get rid of it.

Regular Contributor

Agree!  You've made the site worthless to most of us with your money-grubbing annoying ads.

Periodic Contributor

This is NOT true. I disabled my ad blocker and the header still follows me down the page and covers the game making it unplayable! This is not ok...how are people supposed to play the games on here with that bar covering the game? Please just fix the problem!

Periodic Contributor

I found a workaround, but it's just temporary and something we shouldn't have to resort to in order to play the games on here. I really do hope they are listening to everyone, and care enough to finally fix the issue so we all can get back to enjoying our favorite games.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Meleah , what is your workaround?  🤔

[*** @Meleah wrote:

I found a workaround, but it's just temporary and something we shouldn't have to resort to in order to play the games on here. I really do hope they are listening to everyone, and care enough to finally fix the issue so we all can get back to enjoying our favorite games. ***]

Contributor

Precisely. Some recent change to the website has caused this, and disabling ad blockers makes no difference.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP