Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Regular Contributor

Why Friends Are Important

Hello AARP Online Community

I received this message from AARP Connect to Affect and thought I would share.

https://connect2affect.org/why-friends-are-important/

I spent a lot of time working and raising families and not much time making friends. They mentioned three types of friends. I've got a lot of catching up to do! What kind of friends are you looking for?

• FRIENDS WHO GIVE YOU EMOTIONAL SUPPORT

When you’re feeling down or going through a hard time, talking things over with a supportive friend can make a real difference to your mental health. What does emotional support feel like? Your friend makes you feel heard and acknowledges your point of view. Often referred to as a good listener, someone to lean on, or a sounding board, friends who express empathy are invaluable to our emotional well-being.

• FRIENDS WHO GIVE YOU HELPFUL ADVICE

Having a buddy you can talk to when making a big decision or need some practical pointers on say, using video chat, can help you stay sharp. That’s because it’s so easy to get stuck in our own heads when making decisions. Checking in with someone whose opinion you trust helps broaden your view and identify different approaches to solving problems. Friends who are always there with a helpful word can also help you feel motivated to stick with developing healthy habits.

• FRIENDS WHO GIVE YOU A SENSE OF BELONGING

There’s nothing like finding someone who shares your love of animals or gets your sense of humor. Humans, by our very nature, crave feeling accepted. Friends who share similar interests are wonderful for satisfying our need to feel connected to others. Join a new group or go back to one you’ve tried in the past to find friends you have something in common with.

Life is good!
Periodic Contributor

Friends are the gentle hands that catch us when we fall, the comforting voices that lift our spirits, and the shared laughter that brightens our days. They are the heartbeats that sync with ours, making life's journey more beautiful and meaningful.

Trusted Contributor

Friendship is crucial for a fulfilling life, friends enrich our lives and well-being.

So, take the time to build and cherish these relationships

Bronze Conversationalist

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the next life. 🙂

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP