Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Dogs name and why

I have a 6 year old Chihuahua named Jack after Capt Jack Harkness from the Doctor Who series. We rescued Jack from a breeder who had kept him separated from other dogs because of Kennel Cough. Jack was always scared when we first got him and afraid of men. It has taken years but he is a loving companion to myself and my husband. I named him Captain Jack because the character is a figure who goes through a dramatic transformation.
Trusted Contributor

We used to have a great dog who we named Zachariah P. (for pet) Hankins. He was half Irish Setter and a gentleman dog. We now have a cat named Maggie the Cat (after Elizabeth Taylor in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof).

Periodic Contributor

My dog's name is Tulip.  I got her from a foster home when she was 10 weeks old.  She is black lab mix and has the energy of four dogs.  When I saw her picture before I met her the name Tulip just came to me.  Turned out that is the favorite flower of her foster mom.  

Periodic Contributor

My dog was 2 years old and had been surrendered to the Humane Society with a name attached.  I didn't think it made sense to change it (what's in a name?).   So what if I have a Pit Bull named Chloe.  But she is sort of a princess, so I guess it's alright.

Contributor

Named our dog "Gilda" because we couldn't get "Rosanne Rosannadanna" on the dog tag.
Social Butterfly

I call my dog Da Pucht.

love the name.I believe naming my dogs with names that fit them.I have a rescue doxie that is sweet and loving but always pees in my house so ,I call her Sweet Pea. My other rescue dog is part doxie and ?. He has hair on head,feet & chest, the rest of him has very little hair. I've named him Fuzzy Wazzy or just fuzzy for short.

I also have a rescue dog and she is a cocker spaniel brown and white so I called her Sugar - she is sweet just like brown and white sugar. I like the name Sweet Pea too. My previous cockers name was Sweetie.

Trusted Contributor

My cat is from a shelter and is named LEO for I got him in August and that is the zodiac sign for that month.  He has thrived over the last 5 years with me and

weighs a mere 26 lbs.

.LEO the catLEO the cat

Trusted Contributor

I have two Jack Russells - one named Jack and the other Russell.  I always had big dogs, German Shepards and German Shorthairs, but when they got older I could not pick them up or get them in the car.  So when they died I wasn't going to get another dog.  I lasted a month!  Did a lot of research into small dogs for I needed a dog that could walk 3 or 4 miles a day with me.  Jack Russells filled the requiremnet. I am sure the Jacks could do 10 miles but being a senior citizen, I can not.  Both dogs get along and depend on each other, and they get along with my cats.  Of course, they don't have much choice for both my male cats weigh in the 20 lb plus range and are bigger than the dogs.  The Jacks I find very clever and smart, and now are 5 and 4, and believe it or not, they have quieted down somewhat and are great  walkers with me.  I have about 1/4 acre fenced in for them plus walk them daily in all kinds of weather, so they are exercised to the max.  I totallty enjoy them. 

Jack & RussellJack & Russell

Regular Contributor

Both of our "girls" are rescued American Pit Bull Terriers and we kept the names they came with.  We assume "Phoebe" came by that name because the letters "P" & "b" also represent abbreviated initials for "Pit Bull."   Phoebe is nearly all white with a chocolate brown patch surrounding one eye.  We think she's deaf in one ear because she hears things, but has no sense from what direction the sound came.  Our other girl, "Beatrice Bee," is all white and completely deaf.  They're a handful, but we can't imagine life without them!

Periodic Contributor

I had a dog named Phoebe. She was a black lab rescue. I named her that because it seemed to fit her. Found out later that it was my great-great-grandmother's name. She died a long time ago but she lives in my heart.
Regular Contributor

I am so glad you rescued a dog.  My life's ambition is to have a forever home for all dogs lost and misplaced.  I have three that I've adopted - one is Gabi - a Hovawort that had decided to die in a county shelter.  She's magnificent.  Another one - Mandy - was brought home to keep my Sheltie company.  They are the best of friends and awesome to watch.  The 3rd one is Carrie - or CareBear - she's half Carien Terrier and a total mess.  She's only two and had to have been spoiled before lost.  She stands twelve inches tall and can jump on a three foot bed.  I volunteer at our shelter on Saturdays and my only hope when I leave is that they all find homes before I return the following week.  They are incredible souls with love that never ends.  Thank you for adopting!

Contributor

I have Coby, who is a border collie mix that I rescued a month after my beloved Elberta Peach (a beautiful golden retriever) left this earth. His name is from the Kobayashi Maru a veiled Star Trek reference. Last year I added Nova (means "new") which is what she was...Nova Luna-new moon-. She's a black lab/pitt mix and the sweetest creature! Also, I have a cat left over from when my kids lived at home, Sonnet. She neither likes me nor the dogs.  It is an interesting household for sure.

Periodic Contributor

My daughter and I love Border Collies.  My female, Flossie Megan passed away Sept 2013 and my male, Laddie McDonald, crossed the Rainbow Bridge to meet her Feb.2015.  We went five months with only our cats and could not stand it any longer so we drove 200 miles to adopt a rescue Border Collie.  My daughter named him Liam McCroedie McLochlan.  Our cats are Sylvie, Precious, Lily and Tien, all loved and spoiled!!

Recognized Social Butterfly

@ns17935880 wrote:

My daughter and I love Border Collies.  My female, Flossie Megan passed away Sept 2013 and my male, Laddie McDonald, crossed the Rainbow Bridge to meet her Feb.2015.  We went five months with only our cats and could not stand it any longer so we drove 200 miles to adopt a rescue Border Collie.  My daughter named him Liam McCroedie McLochlan.  Our cats are Sylvie, Precious, Lily and Tien, all loved and spoiled!!

I share your love of Border Collies!!  Do you have a picture to post?

Contributor

Over the last 36 years I've had a multi-cat household. Usually it's two senior cats and two junior cats with about eight years between the sets. I became very enthralled with Italy, so... my current crew of cats: Rico, Bella, Sofia and Lucia (usually called Luci) all have Italian names.

Lucia at two yearsLucia at two years

Honored Social Butterfly

@SharonDB51 wrote:

Over the last 36 years I've had a multi-cat household. Usually it's two senior cats and two junior cats with about eight years between the sets. I became very enthralled with Italy, so... my current crew of cats: Rico, Bella, Sofia and Lucia (usually called Luci) all have Italian names.

Lucia at two yearsLucia at two years

Lovely photo - Lucia is beautiful!  Smiley Happy

Additional comment:  Every pet whose photo is displayed at this topic is lovely, each in his, or her, own way. And also important, each is doubtlessly dearly loved! Smiley Happy  

Contributor

My eldest cat is named Indie and was rescued by my niece when he was 5 weeks old out of a spiteful divorce situation. The wife would not let estranged husband have the animals but she did not want any of them. Indie's mother & litter mates were taken to a shelter, when the wife arrived home she discovered she had missed him. Annoyed, she was about to turn him outside in cold November weather along with the dog to fend for themselves. My niece happened along about then to attempt a negotiation to take all of the animals, not knowing the wife's plans. The wife allowed her to rescue Indie and the dog.
Indie is a mixed breed Maine Coon cat, which are known for their inquisitiveness. This trait nearly cost him his life, but fortunately brought him to us. 13 years ago on Thanksgiving Day my sister-in-law brought him out to us in her pocket! It was love at first sight, even before hearing his story. Short version: he came home with us and was named Indie before we were many miles on the road. Indie was adopted by "Mama Zeus" within ten minutes of coming home. Zeus, a small male cat, would protect him from any perceived danger. The boys were buddies until Zeus died 18 months ago.

damfreez
Regular Contributor

About 2 weeks before Halloween, a black cat showed up on our little patio. We are not cat people, (I have never cared for cats and we cannot have one in the house because a cute, little girl who sometimes stays with us is extremely allergic to them), but it did not matter to this cat; it started stropping back and forth across the glass door, rolling over and over on the patio and then stood on its back feet patting the screen with its feet. We ignored it, but soon it seemed that everytime we looked out, this cat was cavorting on the patio. It took to sunning itself on the patio when it wasn't performing. After a few days it became clear this cat had selected us and would not give up.

As Halloween approached, I began to worry as around here are some nuts who sacrifice black cats on that date. I decided I would try to keep the cat in our backyard by feeding and petting it. When I opened the door to go outside, this cat that had been trying to get my attention took off like a rocket! So I named it "Rocket." My wife asked if it was a boy or girl, and I told her if it was a girl we could always call it "Rockette."

Rocket has now become a friend to us, and wants us to spend some time every day petting her and telling her what a good kitty she is, (it is a female). She was nothing but skin and bones, but I got some kitten food from our local Speck's and now she is doing better. Rocket has had all of her claws removed, front and back, so whoever dumped her should be hung for turning a helpless young cat outside. We fixed up a warm place for her, and we hope someday to find her a good home.

Periodic Contributor

With all the cats I've had...Charisma was named by her others owner...all the kittens were given names like that or zodiac signs.

Imp was named because he had the habit of sneaking up and climbing legs.  He was called a lot of things.

Hyacynth because she was a lovely grey tabby.  Her sister got the name Shanee, I'd been reading about the Pennacook indians.  Lived up to her name...or down.

Princess because everyone needs a cat named Princess.  We had Susie at the same time.  My daughter named her.  She named another black cat spooky.

MissieMae and Velvet were rescues.  They came with those names, and I decided to keep them.  

As the cat lady for the Humane society, I've named hundreds of cats.  Usually I used a section of a 'naming book'  Which is how we had Caviar and Cheesecake, Zena and Hercules, the 'G' kittens, and so many others.

Currently, we have MissieMae, Spike (named by my son in law) and Angel who my daughter picked up off the street after she had been abandoned.  

Contributor

Yes, good point โ€” pets bring much humanity to their humans! And they're all lovely and beautiful. Cat Very Happy

Periodic Contributor

Pretty cat. Here is My girl LacyM000_0511.JPGmau

Periodic Contributor

Lacy was a foster at my vet's office. After I lost Digger to cancer at age 15 and Bonnie to kidney disease also at 15 I needed a new baby to love. She recommended Lacy because Lacy seemed to want to be an only cat. Also she did not play with the others- I thought that eventually no one would would take her or would take her and be mean about her temperament. Love her to bits and we have similar personalities where people are concerned.
Contributor

What a beautfiul, beautiful cat!!!  She is so lovely, and has a beautiful name to go along with her.  You are a lucky person to have such a beauty.!!!  She is lucky to have you as her 'person'.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly

Elly May Clampett, because she is beautiful & resembles her namesake.  She is also feral, my husband has resorted to petting her with a stick since Tessie puppy joined our household.   Tessie was found & rescued by my husband and Elly believes this is against "maat".   All dogs are supposed to belong to me only with no attention from hubby.

Ellie.jpg.jpg

Contributor

Named our Golden Retriever Enzo, after reading a book, (The art of racing in the rain). The book is written by the dog... Enzo, who was named by his human after Enzo Ferrari. Enzo's greatest desire is to have a tactile tongue, so he can speak his knowledge. He believes that he will be reincarnated as a human. And will bring all his knowledge with him. Great read for animal lovers, as well as amateur car/racing enthusiasts. Spiritual and philosophical story.
My Enzo was the last of ten pups. The one that was timid and unwanted. Still timid, but so very loved, and the most intelligent, and gentlest of my many Goldens.
Periodic Contributor

I named my male Bengal cat Gryphon mainly because I liked the name and his aunt's name is Ginger so I wanted something beginning with a G. It now fits him because he is so big -- 20 lbs. -- that he looks like he has a small head. My one friend said he is like a battleship moving across the floor.

Felicia Johnson

My daughter and I each got new kittens.  She named her female kitten "Eleanor", and wanted me to name my male kitten "Franklin", after the Roosevelts.  I thought about it for a moment, and took it a different direction.  I named my kitten "Rigby".  If you're a Beatles fan, you know why!

Kudos
Views
Contributor

love the names

Our little cavachon princess is named Carly after Carly Simon because they both have the same hair.๐Ÿ˜Š  Some people won't know who Carly Simon is. She is a singer and can be found on YouTube.image.jpeg

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP