Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do You Like Self-Driving Cars? Why Or Why Not?

Trusted Contributor

Do You Like Self-Driving Cars? Why Or Why Not?

Me personally, I don't care for self driving cars because I wouldn't feel safe in one, due to the real probability of the controls being hacked and taken over.

Honored Social Butterfly

@j196497j wrote:

Me personally, I don't not like self driving cars because wouldn't feel safe in, due to the real probability of the controls being hacked and taken over.

Same.

Self driving cars are a terrorist attack or mass murder event waiting to happen. Thanks, but no thanks.

Not all progress is a step forward, sez me. ๐Ÿ™‚

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Contributor

So true Epster! I agree. Technology can be a two edged sword. We've seen the damage and real possibilities that hackers can wreak upon anything that is digital and computerized. I read an article years ago about a passenger airliner being hacked just to see if it could be done and sure nuff, it's really possible to make an airliner or missle go where you want it to go (into a mountain, on to a busy highway, into a populated neighborhood, ect.

Honored Social Butterfly

@j196497j I so agree. The knowledge that modern technology is making cars less secure is why we ordered our last vehicle direct from the factory, so we could make sure they didn't install any of the web interface or remote locks. 

Of course this step doesn't save us in the event someone hacks a self driving car (or someone else's Internet connected vehicle) and mows into us, but at least we know our vehicle will not be used by terrorists to kill anyone. Also it is a stick shift which virtually guarantees it won't ever be stolen. I read that less than 10% of Americans know how to drive a stick shift. ๐Ÿ™‚

PS I still lock it. Call me silly. ๐Ÿ™‚

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Super Contributor

Self driving cars, Hmm? I'll reserve judgement until they can actually stop for me while I'm in a controlled walk lane. I stopped driving nearly 2 years ago and I've had my share of near misses while actual drivers are behind the wheel. Now I'm supposed to take my chances with the new type. How do I know it's sober.

not yet, they can determine where I am going if I change my mind.
Trusted Contributor

The person that was trying to teach me to drive a stick shift gave up on me because I stripped to many gears lol!๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜ƒ. Honestly I didn't know they still produced stick shift cars. Yes a stick shift car makes it less likely for your car to stolen.

You made a great point in saying that even though we, some of us choose not to own an autonomous car, that doesn't stop other self driven cars from being commendeered or used by terrorist to harm others. Vigilance is TRULY NEEDED today. These are dangerous times. Thank you for your great responses Epster ๐Ÿ˜€

not yet
Recognized Social Butterfly

I HAVE NEVER DRIVEN IN ONE. THE WHOLE CONCEPT OF SELF DRIVING CARS , IS SOMEWHAT STRANGE TO ME. I GUESS IF THE SELF DRIVING CARS OR TRUELY PROVEN SAFE, I GUESS I WOULD RIDE IN ONE. JUST TO SAY I DID. MIGHT BE A BUCKET LIST THING

Fewer accidents and better food,

I do no like them yt because they have not been proven safe enough for me.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP