Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿค” Can Looking at a Solar Eclipse Blind You? (AARP Article)

Trusted Social Butterfly

๐Ÿค” Can Looking at a Solar Eclipse Blind You? (AARP Article)

HAVE YOU SEEN ONE OR PLAN TO?  ๐Ÿค”  I HAVE NOT AND NEED TO!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

FROM THE ARTICLE - SEE ARTICLE FOR MORE.

Can Watching a Solar Eclipse Really Make You Go Blind?

How to safely view and photograph this astronomical phenomenon

By Elizabeth Agnvall, AARP. Published March 26, 2024.

*** USE LINK AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST TO READ THIS ARTICLE ***   [1] Then enter Email Address you used to sign in to use This Site.   [2] Then enter the password you use.   [3] Lastly, there are 3 LETTERS that will "pop up" as their SECURITY CHECK. Enter those.   [4] Then click log in.

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2024/solar-eclipse-eye-damage.html

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

WOW, WISH MY MAYOR HAD ORDERED "FREE" GLASSES FOR ME!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

Orange mayor explains why cityโ€™s eclipse glasses didnโ€™t work. By Brad Hamilton [fox8.com] 2 days ago.

https://fox8.com/news/orange-mayor-explains-why-citys-eclipse-glasses-didnt-work/

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Orange Village, small rather affluent suburb.   Better safe then sorry I guess. 

Fox 8 really isn't "news", per se, it's mostly entertaining "feely good" stories that are easy to digest inter mixed with news.   

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Tempest332 , lol - wonder IF the Mayor found the company that "ripped" him off. Bet they moved to Florida  ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚  = the Scam State  ๐Ÿ‘ต

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

(4/8/24) ANYONE LIVE IN THESE LOCATIONS?  ๐Ÿค”  I am in Virginia!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

Some of the best major cities for eclipse viewing:

San Antonio, Texas.
Austin, Texas.
Waco, Texas.
Dallas, Texas.

Little Rock, Arkansas.

Indianapolis, Indiana.

Dayton, Ohio.
Cleveland, Ohio.

Bronze Conversationalist

Yes, & it was just Beautiful!  

About 4 minutes of viewing the ring in twilight without the glasses. Temps dropped 11 degrees.  Much better than a partial. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

(4/8/24) @Tempest332  ๐Ÿ‘

Honored Social Butterfly

It took some hunting around but I bought approved glasses to view the eclipse the last time one was passing over this area. The glasses are so dark that you can't see your hand if you hold it up in fronat of your face. Make sure you buy approved glasses from a reputable source.

Bronze Conversationalist

I picked up my glasses last night, & stopping at the drug store afterward, there was a vehicle with the newer headlamps across the parking lot.  I could see still the headlamps through these glasses.  These glasses have to be rated to at least a 12-14 for arc welding, so those headlamps have got to be pretty piercing & intense.  

Kudos to our automakers!

Trusted Social Butterfly

(4/2/24) @Tempest332 , it is like with all "have to be plugged in" mentality I am seeing. Then when they get to my age wonder why they cannot HEAR???

And I am over the joggers who DO NOT care to KNOW what is going on AROUND them = end up a VICTIM of crime.

H.ll no, I NEED to be able to see/hear at all times!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

Bronze Conversationalist

By staring at "their phone" ?

Trusted Social Butterfly

(4/3/24) No @Tempest332 , ear buds or whatever they are called. Blocks out the world and the volume affects hearing over the years. ๐Ÿ‘ต

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Nevertheless, probably will not need the glasses, but will be in total darkness for 3:20... may need a winter coat though.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

(4/4/24) @Tempest332 , in the 40's right now for me in Virginia. Was just in the 80's last week!!!  ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

& when you are done with those glasses, you can use them to drive at night to protect your eyes from the projector lens LED headlamps. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/30/24) Not for me @Tempest332 , I have to use my REAL LIFE glasses or I will be driving off the road. On the "serious" side - since retiring and NO longer have a NEED to drive at nights - I don't.  ๐Ÿ‘ต

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I stated this in jest, but seriously night driving is an issue.  My return trip home is in headlight hours & it's annoying.   I'm paying higher premiums so my peers can drive newer vehicles equipped with these. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/27/24) @nctarheel , thanks for tip!!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @nctarheel wrote:

It took some hunting around but I bought approved glasses to view the eclipse the last time one was passing over this area. The glasses are so dark that you can't see your hand if you hold it up in fronat of your face. Make sure you buy approved glasses from a reputable source. ***]

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP