Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Bronze Conversationalist

Extra Credit Rewards

Hello everyone ๐Ÿค—. I'd like to know what is the purpose of the Extra Credit Rewards? It's not like we get anything beneficial. They post the same $5 gift cards. Some of the quizzes are the same ones I've done already. I'm really fed up with AARP Rewards program. My membership is up in April. I'll participate as a non-member. Maybe then I'll win something. I have other ways to aquire gift cards. This rewards program used to be fun and fulfilling. My opinion is that AARP has forgotten their main purpose. Non profit company? Someone please explain to me , just what does that mean ? I'm tired of just saying 

Concerned Member
Bronze Conversationalist

Hello everyone ๐Ÿค—. Well it is May and the gift cards for Extra Credit are only $5 . I guess they're waiting for the end of the month to post the $10 cards. What's up with the $5 gift cards for members after completing the Extra Credit section. After these cards for members are gone they'll post some $10 cards for everyone. I just can't see wasting 25,000 points for a gift card even if it is a Amazon gift card. Which is probably sold out by the time I finish posting. I stayed up until midnight so I could do the Extra Credit. By 12:10 am I was finished. Good luck to everyone. I'm just saying 

Concerned Member
Bronze Conversationalist

Hello everyone ๐Ÿค—. I just looked at the Rewards page again and I didn't see the IGW $10 Amazon gift card for 50 points. Is that a joke or something? Here we as members do the Extra Credit for a lousy $5 Amazon gift card for 25,000 points. Is that Fair ๐Ÿค”. REALLY . I'm telling you I'm not renewing my membership and become a non member. Maybe my luck will change for the IGW.  I'm just saying 

Concerned Member
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Do the extra credit deals post at midnight?  I am an early riser and checked out the deals about 5:30 am and all the gift cards for points, that I would use, were sold out.  I am wondering why they disappear before I can even get to them.   It is irritating.  IF they do post at midnight, that gives people in the Pacific time zone a definite advantage! 

Super Contributor

The extra credit deals on the first day of the month show up at 12am EST (since I am CST, I could see them at 11pm on April 30, but I didn't bother to stay up for them this month).  The popular ones (Amazon, Kohl's, etc) sell out really fast (it looks like the Amazon one sold out in less than 45 minutes, based on some of the discussion comments I saw).  I completely agree with your comments about not being able to get the popular ones before they sell out, and the advantage of the different time zones.  I have done the rewards program surveys multiple times and put these issues into comments, but I don't expect anything to change.

Trusted Contributor

So hereโ€™s my two cents. For what itโ€™s worth.  We pay $12 more or less to be a member.  We have to sit through all the ads.  As paying members.  I can see if you are not a paying member you have to endure the ads.  But non paying members seem to get the same perks.  The gift cards, if you are paying why are these cards available to all?  What is the perk of being a member?  And when they have meltdowns like last month and you have to beg for your points to be added.  If we logged on only as non members, would things change?  And what happens when you complete an activity but the points are awol?  I have had numerous chats discussing these problems.  It seems to fix on one then go out on another.  Every month it is a new problem.  Anyone get points for the home improvement quiz?  Or the hearing quiz?

Regular Contributor

I actually have won a few times (one was for $1000). My annoyance is when a new 'buy for points' is added it's sold out in a matter of a few hours. There were 2 I would have been interested in today, but I guess 9AM EST was too late to log on.

Bronze Conversationalist

Hello everyone ๐Ÿค—. It's terrible when you see a $10 e-gift card and then you see the sold out. I have a suggestion. Why don't AARP Rewards consider making it a rule that New E-gift Cards will be posted between 12pm  and 1pm est. This way everyone has a chance. So no one knows exactly what time but will be keeping a eye out for new ones. I'm not saying that they'll be posting new items every day. It's not fair that we on the east coast have to stay up or wake up at midnight while the west coast people are already up. I still feel that Transparency of the number of available gift cards up for grabs and a winners list. I'm just saying 

Concerned Member
Silver Conversationalist

Hi al45009948

Top of the morning to you. I am interested as WebWiseWoman and would like to know what โ€œother ways to aquire gift cardsโ€ you had in mind. If you prefer to not post your idea, you could PM us. Thanks

lucyp061351
Regular Social Butterfly

Enjoy reading your post; would appreciate your "other ways to aquire gift cards" as I use the ones I earn here on AARP to extend my budget, when I can get them, so your expertise will be appreciated.

Thank you so very much in advance!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
Bronze Conversationalist

Hello everyone ๐Ÿค—. I didn't know if it was okay to say what rc5185366 mentioned. I too have been doing Microsoft Rewards and you can get quite a few things gift cards Sweepstakes and as rc5185366 mentioned once you accumulate enough points you can claim it and receive it in your email from 15 minutes to 24hrs. No limit on Rewards. Just create a Outlook or Hotmail account and download the Edge web browser and search for Microsoft Rewards and sign up. Good luck. I'm just saying 

Concerned Member
Regular Contributor

Hi, al45009948. I also didn't know if it was okay but figured I'd go for it because Microsoft Rewards and AARP rewards are a pleasant way to spend time when everything works. Just trying to share the wealth with other AARP members who may not know about it. It's an extra and doesn't take away from what we call "AARPing." Take care and best wishes.

Regular Contributor

Hi, WebWiseWoman. We do Microsoft Bing Rewards (rewards dot bing dot com). We get points for searching and when we've got enough points, we cash them in for a $5 gift card. We choose the Walmart card. We've been doing this for 5 years and have earned many cards. It's not big money (maybe one card per month?). It keeps me current and it goes quickly. It's the only other one I know. Oh, you don't have to wait for a gift card to be posted. As long as you have the points, you can get it within 24 hours in your email. 

Trusted Contributor

I am on the west coast and thought at one time that the east coast had the advantage because when I woke up it was too late for me to obtain a card, because it was sold out. I think if you want to participate unfortunately keep checking throughout the day. Last month my cable service was out for six days right before Christmas and a tech could not come fix it until a week later and I could not log onto nothing, but as soon as it was fixed around 5pm on a Thursday evening the first thing I did right away log on aarp rewards and saw a $10 Macy's card I could not believe it after not being able to do anything for six days. I used my points to get the reward. I had also given up on trying to participate on the first of the month 9pm my time because well you know why but the other night I tried before going to bed and got the CVS/Khol's cards both the same night! That's a first! Well that's my story, good luck to ALL

Silver Conversationalist

Hi @al45009948

Thanks for the topic

& I agree with what you mentioned

Extra Credit ....or as is also known as Extra Regret-it

In October @andrewtoo wrote about the same probs...called it

October Extra Regret-it

It was @garyfish49 who came up with AARP="Annoying Aggravating Rewards Program."

& I added

AARP = An Absence of Rewards Program

Humor helps ease the pain of this ridiculous program.....

Take care   โ˜ฎ๏ธ~Allen  ๐ŸŒˆ

Conversationalist

It does not have any value. It also favors the West Coast where they can do the extra credit at 9 pm their time. By 1:30 am central time, Amazon was sold out. 

Gold Conversationalist

I was coming on the boards to see when Amazon sold out.  Thanks.   Those of us on EST have the choice of staying up past midnight or missing out.   Getting up early...such as 5 a.m. does not help.  Long gone.   I used to stay up when there were $20 rewards.  Made the whole program worthwhile for me.   Now I wish I could get the $5 Amazon but it is not worth a night's sleep.   When those on PST complained under the old program about the rewards coming on at 9 EST, the program listened and changed it.   We have complained several times about the unfairness to EST to no avail.  

Conversationalist

I set my alarm clock for 11:15pm central time everytime. I got the Amazon GC which I wanted. But the pickings have been slim these past few months. 

Regular Contributor

That's a shame to have to do that. I'm too old to bother but it sure is disappointing when you see one you would have been interested in that's gone in a matter of hours.

Super Contributor

But that doesn't always work.  I checked for new rewards last night (Feb 1) at 11:10pm central time and there were none.  Then when I checked this morning at 9am central time there was an Old Navy gift card I really could have used, but it was already sold out.  Not sure when that one showed up, but they really should offer more of the popular gift cards so they don't sell out so fast.

Conversationalist

My message was about the extra credit day (I set the alarm only the last day of the month). On that day they post the rewards after midnight EST.

I too missed the Old Navy gift card; as it was not restricted to paying members, it seems to have sold out very fast.

The point only rewards seem to pop up without a schedule.

Super Contributor

It doesn't only seem to be the gift cards that are not restricted which sell out fast.  There are plenty of Members Only gift cards (Amazon, Kohls, Target, CVS) that are already sold out by the time I first see them.  It just looks like they don't have very many gift cards available for points-only purchases (both for members and non-members), so the popular ones sell out right away and the less popular ones are available for a longer time.

Regular Contributor

Seems they should be aware of the most popular and only have them for MEMBERS. 

Super Contributor

the most popular ones (or at least the ones I am most interested in - Amazon, Kohls, Target) seem to only be for MEMBERS, but they still sell out really fast.  It would be nice if they just offered more of those so more people could get them before they sell out.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I have only been using this program for less than a year, so am still trying to figure out if it is worth the effort.  I have alot of points, but I have stopped accumulating them since I can't use them on the gift cards I can use.  I try to check the rewards a few times a day, but the cards available are ones I can't use (restaurants not in my area) or don't want to use.  The gift cards I would like to get are usually sold out by the time I see them.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP