Connect with Mike - AARP’s resident fitness and innovation enthusiast

Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Connect with Mike - AARP’s resident fitness and innovation enthusiast

Message 1 of 20

@VickiM68,

Glad to hear that your app is connected.

Happy stepping!

Mike

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Retired Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

Got it. Thanks!

I didn't see the AARP Rewards arrow just below the card image. I had looked everywhere in the menu bar. I think it's set up correctly now.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

@VickiM68,

The Apple Watch feeds into the Apple Health app, which is what the AARP NOW app connects to.

In the current version of the AARP NOW app on your iPhone, go to the "ACCOUNT" tab in the bottom navigation to opt-in to AARP Rewards. After opting in, select "Sync a fitness tracker." From here, you can sync Apple's Health app by selecting it and giving permission to sync your health data.

Your Apple Watch should already be linked to your Apple Health app. If not, here is Apple's help document on that topic:

Manage Health data on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple Watch
-- Add information from your Apple Watch
-- How Health handles data from multiple sources

Mike

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Retired Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

Hi @curiouslee,

I'm having problems connecting my Apple Watch to Rewards. Can you please go through all the steps I need to do? After I've downloaded the AARP Now app, then what do I do next?

Thanks

Vicki 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Connect with Mike - AARP’s resident fitness and innovation enthusiast.

Message 5 of 20

@je19205153,

What an amazing set of careers you have! There must be so many interesting stories.

So sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. I am glad that you know your vitals are good.

My colleague Lorrie Lynch is featured in a great special report on yoga that will show you many basic moves:

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2017/yoga-after-age-50.html

I too had balance problems when I was beginning yoga three years ago. A friend showed me how to do some of the basic yoga positions against a wall (when no spotter was available). Acting on that simple tip gave me the confidence to keep at it. Now I can do many positions and hold my balance.

Mike

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

@H01692,

How wonderful that these tools and resources were helpful to you. But you deserve all the credit for putting in the work and staying motivated!

Mike

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

@Coachajr,

Congratulations on maintaining your step goals and dropping those pounds! I found that once I could do 10K steps, if I had the time on a given day, I would challenge myself to doing another 1-2K since I was already out there.

Especially when I was training for long distance races, I was doing hip bridges and roll-downs as our Kathy Smith demonstrates here:

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2019/beyond-sit-ups-working-your-core.html

The core work helped to eliminate knee pains which came from my core muscles being too weak to play their part in lifting up my legs for running.

I've "graduated" in the last year to doing laybacks, which look like the roll-downs, but your legs are straight out and hovering in the air. I also do front, left and right planks among other things.

Mike

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Connect with Mike - AARP’s resident fitness and innovation enthusiast.

Message 8 of 20

I'm an old dancer and former surfer and sailor. Since recovering from a ruptured achilles tendon at 80, Ive noticed a balance problem. An old friend and I decided to try yoga, but he suffered a stroke and passed in class. Is there a type of yoga or other resstrictions i should observe at my age?  My vitals are otherwise fine.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

A few years ago, I lost 70lbs through tracking food and exercise. RealAppeal provided by Aarp /UHC MedicareCompleteAdvantage supplied an app, online counseling, fitness dvds and an assortment of equipment. RealAppeal helped me change my life.

Now I use the fitbit and gym membership provided by them.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

I had a question about exercise.  I have been doing my 10K stepps daily, lost 20 lbs. since my surgery but still can't tighten the stomach/abs.  Do you have a good group of exercises to do that?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.