Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

Travel Ideas for April/May 2024

My 65th birthday is around the end of April and I want to celebrate it with a trip.

I do not want to cruise at this time, visit Europe (2025) and wish to visit places that have a beach, in-town sightseeing and an event or festival if possible. I would prefer to visit either the Northeast or Virginia, Carolinas or Georgia. Florida does not appeal. I've visited New Orleans, New Mexico, Texas, New York and DC and want to visit somewhere I have never been to. 

I also wish to use Amtrak and I will not have a car so walkability and

sight seeing tours are a must.

I realize that I am cutting it a bit close to book by my birthday.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, if you have suggestions what were your experiences?

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/11/24) Not too much longer for your trip @MicheleS11593 !!!  I bet you are EXCITED.  Do you have everything set up or still working on things? 🤔

[*** MICHELE @MicheleS11593 wrote:

My 65th birthday is around the end of April and I want to celebrate it with a trip.

I do not want to cruise at this time, visit Europe (2025) and wish to visit places that have a beach, in-town sightseeing and an event or festival if possible. I would prefer to visit either the Northeast or Virginia, Carolinas or Georgia. Florida does not appeal. I've visited New Orleans, New Mexico, Texas, New York and DC and want to visit somewhere I have never been to. 

I also wish to use Amtrak and I will not have a car so walkability and

sight seeing tours are a must.

I realize that I am cutting it a bit close to book by my birthday.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, if you have suggestions what were your experiences? ***]

0 Kudos
Contributor

Since you're looking for beach destinations with in-town sightseeing and events, have you considered visiting the coastal areas of the Carolinas or Georgia? Places like Charleston, SC, or Savannah, GA, offer charming historic districts, beautiful beaches, and often host events or festivals. Plus, with your preference for walkability and sightseeing tours, these cities could be a perfect fit.
And if you're ever in the mood for some fun downtime, check out the list of the best theme parks in us. It could add an extra dose of excitement to your birthday trip! Cheers to many more adventures!

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/11/24) I agree @AnnaB835026 , Georgia is AWESOME!!!  😎

[*** ANNA @AnnaB835026 wrote:

Since you're looking for beach destinations with in-town sightseeing and events, have you considered visiting the coastal areas of the Carolinas or Georgia? Places like Charleston, SC, or Savannah, GA, offer charming historic districts, beautiful beaches, and often host events or festivals. Plus, with your preference for walkability and sightseeing tours, these cities could be a perfect fit. ***]

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

3 comments (2/10/24)

Michele @MicheleS11593 , how is your planning doing? Any updates to share with us?  🤔

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I have eliminated the beach and festival aspect. I have done some

genealogy and believe that I have found my paternal grandfather

who was from Asheville NC along with my paternal grandmother.

They are both gone(RIP) but I am feeling that I want to visit his grave there.

Never met him. He was a decorated WWII veteran.

Asheville was to be a side trip along with Charleston SC.

I eliminated Charleston and am focusing on Asheville. 

I have been watching YouTube videos on others experiences in

Asheville.

Seems like an interesting place and the Blue Ridge mountains 

look gorgeous.

No Amtrak into Asheville so I will be flying.

I thought that it would be a nice way to celebrate my birthday by

connecting with my ancestors and seeing where they lived.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like an amazing trip with a lot of family history involved. Also, a wonderful experience to pass down to the younger generation in your entire family. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

So May is nice in Northeast...no bugs

New England has tons going on. Boston is amazing and the beaches still a bit chilly for that time of year unless you go memorial day weekend 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP