Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Share a Homecation Story

Whatโ€™s that old saying, โ€œno good deed goes unpunishedโ€?

Even in this pandemic environment with lots of time on the home-front, I like to be at home. Well planned time at home can be as relaxing or entertaining as time spent away.  So, like many of you working hard, I needed some time off recently and like many of you, I stayed at home. I planned to take some time to do the things I enjoy in my free time. An extension of the weekend, a "homecation" if you will.

Midway through Monday morning, after enjoying a leisurely cup of coffee outside, thoughts of being productive on my day off began to creep in. (This is a no-no by the way!)

Upon opening the refrigerator to think about fixing a special spa-like lunch it dawned on me that this was the perfect time to purge items from the refrigerator. This actually is something I enjoy.  I try to bring in just what I use and keep the fridge orderly, but sometimes some things just have to go.   

Like the tub of baby leaf spinach, which I feel guilty about for not using to the fullest and wonder if this is something my chickens would enjoy. Nope.  Because now Iโ€™m being productiveโ€”my good deedโ€”I decide instead to expedite the process. So there I go, stuffing spinach into the sink drain while running the garbage disposal. Something doesnโ€™t seem quite right and I open the under-sink cabinet. There's an EXPLOSION of pulverized spinach. All. Over. The. Place. How does this end? With me playing plumber to disassemble/reassemble and unclog a LOT of spinach.

Have you taken a homecation? Share your story in a post below!

Contributor

The best way to keep your disposal working is not to use it!
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I turned 60 recently and of course I couldn't have my usual large celebration (live music, taco cart, etc.) so instead I didn't cook for a week and had most meals brought in via one of those delivery services, not worrying about the cost (which was way less than my parties usually run.)
It was fun for this foodie!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have my Piano Tuning and Repairing business which came to a screeching halt under the governor's order. My work was deemed nonessential so I did some shop work on a piano I had there that was under reconstruction. My wife and I finally replaced the spindles on the stairs that she removed 3 years ago not realizing how difficult replacement would be. Most spindles are 30-36" in length ours are 18"! Finding spindles that you can cut that short and still have ANY of the intended detail left was difficult. She finally found some at the Habitat store that when cut down from both ends looked good. Plus there were enough! Originally there weren't a lot of spindles because the house was built in 1895. Now that we changed them they had to be placed 4" apart (building code) requiring more than were there originally! We needed 21 the ones she found had 22.

20200811_211327.jpg

0 Kudos
Contributor

Playing piano and drawing are great activities I enjoy. Really enjoy listening to Audible books while walking My Bassett Hound.My Chicken PaintingMy Chicken Painting

Periodic Contributor

To relax and stay sane at home since I retired at the end of February, I play ball with my Cowboy Corgi (Heeler and Corgi) at least twice a day for about 15 minutes each.  I also like to take drives to the country and close mountains.

Contributor

Since retiring a few years ago, I got back into artwork.  As a child, I sketched some, but got away from it once I got married and started my career.  When I retired, I took a drawing class and was so excited to find I have some talent.  Now with being at home so much I have branched out and started working with resin to make coasters.  I have also taken a watercolor class.  I spend a few hours two days a week in an on-line art studio with other artists.  Its a fun way to socialize and get feedback from peers.  I highly recommend arts and crafts for people who are bored.  All it takes to get started is a pencil and paper.

Contributor

Check out Crafty Fun Group on Facebook. I enjoy seeing other people's crafts and artwork.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I also have been doing artwork On Facebook there is a fun page called Crafty Fun Group. I enjoy checking out other people's artwork and crafts.

Regular Contributor

Homecation Mishap 1 of 6Homecation Mishap 1 of 6

My family's favorite "homecation" spot is our front porch, day or night. One silver lining to the coronavirus pandemic is being able to greet the neighbors from a safe distance from our porch.  Our nation went from a social front porch society to a isolated back deck one.  But, sometimes we need a bit more privacy on the porch, like when we dine outdoors so to add a touch more privacy to one end of the porch my 14 year-old son and I planted 16 skip laurels to create a hedge back in April... now 6 of the 10 are in the ICU.  One step forward, two steps back.     

Retired Community Manager

Thatโ€™s wonderful, @TNTMOM, that you have a spot outdoors where you can enjoy your home and neighbors. Darn those fickle laurels!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP