Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Have you ever traveled for Mardi Gras?

Periodic Contributor

Have you ever traveled for Mardi Gras?

Mardi Gras is coming up soon this year on February 25th! Have you traveled to celebrate Mardi Gras? How did you like it? What did you like best, and do you have any tips?

Feel free to share fun photos - we'd love to see what you got up to!

Periodic Contributor

In 2017 we spent the week up to Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Lots of sightseeing by trolley, and we stayed within walking distance of the French Quarter. Everyday there were lots of parades and each day the parades got bigger and better. Beautiful homes in the Garden District. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The food was fantastic.

Contributor

Yes, Traffic is very bad, 2 blocks off a main street is a little better, do NOT park on the corner or you will be towed!! Fight for the trinkets, then give them to the kids.

Contributor

Yes! I live in Michigan now but I grew up in Spanish Fort, Alabama.   Every year we would load up in the car and head across the bay(as it was called) trying to make it through the tunnel before it closed.  I travel back as much as possible to attend, even now in my seasoned age.  I missed it this year being my husband had knee surgery.  At work today on Fat Tuesday, thinking about my family there and yes, I've been daydreaming all day, Laughing.  But, I'm looking forward to 2021, hanging out with my Alabama family on the corner of goverment street.  

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Actually, I just got back from my first trip to NOLA this past Saturday.  Spent a week sightseeing, touring parks, old homes, and of course the French Quarter.  The parades were amazing! lots of excitement.  Best to be uptown (away from the French Quarter) for a more family-oriented experience. The people are super-friendly, more than willing to guide and give helpful travel tips.

Unless you're totally into being drunk and foolish, late-night on Bourbon St. is a no-go.

The week before is best, less crowds and congestion, much more enjoyable with

all the Mardi Gras experience and without the mess.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Actually I have traveled to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. But I have a keen insight to it due to the fact that I grew up above The Olde Absinthe Bar. My family ran that historic establishment until I was 11 years old. So when I did go home for Mardi Gras people would travel with me and I acted as a personal do's and don't s guy. I marched in parades and saw most if not all of The Carnival Season's good and bad sides. I still coach people as an ad hoc travel agent/concierge when they are traveling there. It has changed a great deal over the years but a few things have not changed. The French Quarter is primarily a drunken bash for the young. And the uptown and Jefferson and St Bernard parishes are the place to see the parades for families. What so many partiers miss out on is the  City That Care Forgot has an incredible history and architecture. I have so many stories about my experiences as a child and adult there. If anyone is interested feel free to contact me. Laissez' Faire Les Bon Temps Roulette.

Contributor

My first Mardi Gras was in Mobile, AL. They claim to have the first parade before New Orleans. It was much smaller, but manageable and family oriented. Much more fun and safer. It may have changed over the years. Does any one know what’s happening in Mobile this year?
Regular Contributor

Yes! My husband and I went with another couple in 2017.  We stayed at the Grand Victorian B&B on St Charles uptown.  Great experience.  The bulk of the parades (day & night) went right past our place. They provided chairs for us to sit on.  Very family friendly in that area.  More crowded as you went down closer to the universities.  Lots of locals BBQing.  Tons of ladders with seats for the kids. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP