Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gold Conversationalist

SCIATICA - Piriformis

The old sciatica/piriformis pain has been incredibly intense the last couple of days.  OMG!  Fortunately I get some relief using the Bed Buddy and heat plus Tylenol/Ibuprofen and Lidocaine rub.  Stretching is painful but necessary to help ease the pain on the sciatic nerve.  Fortunately today I am feeling better.

To anyone out there experiencing the pain I just described - Hang in there!

goodmorningall_345.gif
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

So far nothing has cured this beast.  It isn't fun living with pain day after day but there isn't any choice.  I pray for a miracle.  Thank you all for posting.  I appreciate your support and stories of recovery.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

So sorry to report that my condition seems to be going from bad to worse.

My hip flexor is extremely tight and my pelvic tilt is incredibly difficult to align.

My feet are in pain with plantar faciitis and everything is just causing horrible PAIN.

Nothing seems to work and the doctors just don't seem to understand.

Am considering consulting again with a physical therapist.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

The sciatica saga continues....it is a terribly painful seemingly never ending tale of suffering. To all who are experiencing this condition please know I know what you are feeling. Hang in there and please send me an update about your treatment. Thank you.
Thanks
0 Kudos
Contributor

Somehow daytime activity makes my pain manageable. Herniated Disc L5 and S1... Help from a specialized Chiropractor twice weekly, Take 4 Gabapentin 300mg daily. Stretch back, piriformas muscle as much as 5 times per day. More at night when I try to sleep with 2 Gabapentin, Melatonin, special pillow between the knees and on my left side only. Frequently i'll  use the heating pad on my back and right leg, or a frozen herbal bag on my back to help me sleep longer than 2 hours at a time.

When I have done yard work or an exercise class, I may need 1-2 800 ml of Ibuprofen tablets. Will resume getting an epidural at least once a year. Somehow hot coffee makes my legs and feet feel better, whereas drinking alcohol causing more pain... 

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Gabapentin made me as clumsy as a drunk and only reduced my pain by about 25%.  In my opinion, people who drive cars on gabapentin and the doctors who gave them the prescriptions are endangering the public.   Also, I developed a detached vitreous humor in one eye while taking it.

My solution to the pain associated with sciatica was pentazocine/naloxone which is a Schedule IV opioid. Unlike gabapentin, it had little effect on my mental performance and motor skills.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you for sharing your experience with Gabapentin, wow, the dosage I take does not interfere with my motor skills. I probably get a little sleepy, is probably why I drink the coffee. Some pain medicine give me nausea... All of our bodies are different. Good conversation

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

For those following this forum I appreciate your stories and hope you have been able to find relief from this horrible condition.  My pain is often debillitating and today was especially bad.  It seems that I have a nerve that is being pinched and is creating numbness.  I have been thru physical therapy and have seen a podiatrist but each day brings a different scenario have been having no luck getting rid of this.

Trusted Social Butterfly

I have one or the other but it has spontaneously gotten better.  I tried piriformis stretches described here:

I take 150 mg. of the Schedule IV opioid, pentazocine/naloxone, before walking 10 miles/day for exercise. There is a huge genetic variance on people's responses to specific opioids and this particular opioid suits my genetics best. This opioid is unlikely to work well for you. But, generally speaking, opioids are most effective in reducing discomfort from low intensity, less localized pain such as that resulting from sciatica. I suggest you find one that is effective by trial and error so that you can exercise and only take it before you exercise so you don't develop a tolerance.

Gold Conversationalist

Thank you aruzinsky for posting these videos. I hope to have spontaneous relief asap! Thank you.
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

arusinsky,
Thank you for the information. Your physical routine is incredible. I am afraid of opioid use but understand those who use them in cases of severe pain.
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

My husband has sciatica.( I don't know what piriformis is ) ? He goes to V.A. for medical help. He recently had a shot in his hip region-cortisone. Didn't help for more than a couple days. He has a difficult time walking. Tylenol no help. I wish we had the $$ to try accupuncture !

I'm glad you feel better. I like the cute pic with your post, too !

Sandee2
Gold Conversationalist

ss11943859,
Sandee2,
Thank you for your reply.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP