From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Are ankle weights worth it?

Message 1 of 4

I wear ankle weights on 2-5 mile walks to great effect.

I wear 4 pounds (2 pounds each leg) sometimes for 4-7 hours while doing my regular daily stuff. 

Caveat: I'm an in shape athlete.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

As a fitness trainer I just need to add a warning about using ankle and wrist weights during classes, etc.  If you already have had back or joint injuries you may need to consult with a doctor or trainer first.  It is then impairitive that you use correct form and not overdo use.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

They are to me. Ankle and wrist weights. And you need only the minimum weight (2 pound). They're also good for wearing during aerobic exercise. We have a number of us, in a step class, using wrist weights. I don't think you'd want ankle weights for aerobics --- could interfere with footing. I know they're out there, but at my age, I think I might have balance issue while doing aerobics.

It's amazing how such a small amount of weight makes you work harder.  

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views
Replies

Are ankle weights worth it?

Message 4 of 4

Hi all,

I have heard a lot of information about ankle weights and how they can help you strengthen your upper or lower body.

As far as I can tell, adding some ankle weights to simple leg raises and other things I can do at home would help make those exercises a little more challenging.

Curious if anyone here has had good results or understands the benefits of ankle weights?

Sincerely,
Ben Breda
BHG
Kudos
Views
Replies