Kudos
Views

Re: Win7 EOS 1/20/2020

Message 1 of 15

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky 

Did a google search and this popped up.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000493.htm

Instructions rang a bell, don't ask why but, I think in typical M$ brilliance some had to activate with click in radio box, and then disable -to make fix work.

I think the enable bs was only 1:100. Running less than brilliant Celerons or entry level processors.

Froze

That web page and others like it didn't exist in 2002.  It took 5 clicks to get there and and several to get back.  Theoretically, it would have been possible to right click the bubble to bring up a context menu that included "disable forever."  That would have required a total 2 clicks.

And, Microsoft continues to bury its obnoxious default settings many clicks deep.  Every time I install a new Windows OS, I have to spend days getting rid of Microsoft's obnoxious default settings.

The only ergonomic improvement I see in Win 10 is the search form on the task bar to help you find stuff buried 10 clicks deep.  And there is obnoxious advertising for things like, Candy Crush, that I spent weeks unsuccessfully trying to remove.  Eventually, it disappeared with an update.

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

@aruzinsky 

Did a google search and this popped up.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000493.htm

Instructions rang a bell, don't ask why but, I think in typical M$ brilliance some had to activate with click in radio box, and then disable -to make fix work.

I think the enable bs was only 1:100. Running less than brilliant Celerons or entry level processors.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky 

There was a common fix for XP Home and Pro versions of that issue but, my XP book isn't on my shelf.

I think it was gifted/borrowed only have a Commodore 64 book where it used to be.

Best I can recall you ran "Desktop Cleanup Wizard,

to uncheck Run cleanup mgr every 60 days and it would go away. 

Yes, there was a right click in Properties and an Ok/Save and OK again .

And it disappeared, never to reappear again.

Froze

There is no "Run cleanup mgr" or "Properties" in the "Desktop Cleanup Wizard".

DesktopCleanupWizard1.png

DesktopCleanupWizard2.png

DesktopCleanupWizard3.png

Furthermore, when Win XP was my latest OS, I contacted Microsoft about the problem.  I followed their instructions and indeed the bubble disappeared.  But, the task bar still popped up with the same popping sound as before and there was no X to click to bring it down.

There seems to be a solution here:

http://www.subdude-site.com/WebPages_Local/RefInfo/Computer/Microsoft/StoppingMicrosoftPopups/Stoppi...

which didn't exist in 2002.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

@aruzinsky 

There was a common fix for XP Home and Pro versions of that issue but, my XP book isn't on my shelf.

I think it was gifted/borrowed only have a Commodore 64 book where it used to be.

Best I can recall you ran "Desktop Cleanup Wizard,

to uncheck Run cleanup mgr every 60 days and it would go away. 

Yes, there was a right click in Properties and an Ok/Save and OK again .

And it disappeared, never to reappear again.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

The bottom line is "Don't fix it unless it is broke."

CORRECTION:

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

That said, Windows XP was broken from the start and Microsoft never fixed it with updates.  My favorite example is when the task bar suddenly went up, preventing me from reading messages on software status bars, and a bubble appeared with the caption "You have unused icons on your desktop."  And, then I would click the X in the bubble and 10 seconds later, the bubble would reappear.  And, this would happened even when I had only 5 icons on my desktop!  I will never forgive Microsoft for this.  The person responsible for this and all the yes men and women who surrounded that person deserve to burn in Hell.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Re: Correction Re: Win7 EOS 1/20/2020

Message 6 of 15

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

Good for you! Continue your life with liife, with

@aruzinsky wrote:

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

"Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020" 

"How to stop automatic updates on Windows 10" (Note: non-MicroSoft site) 

The second article offers both non-technical (temporary postponement) and technical (permanent) steps.

hth

Thanks.   I missed that because authors of such articles conflated "turn off" with "delay."  Only the permanent solution matters.  It is more convenient in Win 7.  The rational thing to do is backup Win 10 with updates turned on until something goes wrong and, after restoring from the backup, turn the updates off.

W7..

...perhaps Apple is a better option for some; I personally can't afford the hardware... OS...

Long Island International Film Festival?

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

Good for you! Continue your life with liife, with

@aruzinsky wrote:

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

The second article offers both non-technical (temporary postponement) and technical (permanent) steps.

hth

Thanks.   I missed that because authors of such articles conflated "turn off" with "delay."  Only the permanent solution matters.  It is more convenient in Win 7.  The rational thing to do is backup Win 10 with updates turned on until something goes wrong and, after restoring from the backup, turn the updates off.

W7..

...perhaps Apple is a better option for some; I personally can't afford the hardware... OS...

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

hth

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Correction Re: Win7 EOS 1/20/2020

Message 9 of 15

hth

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

First-

CERT not CERF do a search for -

https://cve.mitre.org/cve/ And do a indexsearch by year for vulnerabilities discovered

You CAN turn off Windows 10 updates - you expressed distrust in my opinion so, first msg. Perhaps.😎

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0vXviGToM 

or merely do a google/bing search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nimber+of+people+harmed+by+not+upgradin+Operating+Systems+to+latest&...

Or try the above link , ever type with your thumbs on a cold day with frost heaves.🤣 in a 6x6 without spilling your coffee/expresso beverage of moment.

Of turning off updates in Windows 10. Do it at your own risk. I typically may depending upon feedback from my groups kill most updates if buggy. Until patch for the fix (some are buggy😆) if clear sailing it's let 'em rip.

Worst that may happen with out Update or backup -saves to external HDD or tapes (still have a few of them) is your HDD goes to heck.

Data is swiped etc.

I recover iphones, ipads,Windows all, Mac's - prices are good. I love lack of backups.

I void warranties sometimes (Apple products) reason for microscopes, and solder reworking stations, etc. After Apple Joi Bois say you can trade your non-functioning phone for a new one but, if you didn't do update or save to the cloud we can't get your data back.🤣. 

Androids are a PITA, the worst case scenario is you lose 💩, I'd love to give actual info. But, for some customers it to protect innocents, for other oaths signed so, no names will ever be mentioned.

💩 happens, stuff fails or is made to fail by lack of updates.

Read a ZDNet, Cult of MAC, Sophos,etc for issues with viruses, malware,security breaches , etc.

Remember the credit bureau that failed to update with an easy patch (Equifax) from M$ , And the number of people that had their data taken in the Millions.

Similar you can read,  (I get 30 warnings /exploits or more per day)Some is white hat, some are black 🎩 and how to do's.

Have had 4 Popups on phone since beginning writing of this ditty of new hacks for medical databases( name, social, address, health treatments, medical insurances and numbers) let it ride.

You want problems don't do anything to protect your computer or data stored on it.

You don't want problems update it or not it's your choice.

When I read of an issue, with update, I post it. Or if I don't have an issue and I'm running my old Win7 I7, upgraded to Win10 Home, I post that.

Same with my new I9 Win10 Pro 64 Gb, and 2 Tb HDD the same, no issue or a WTF moment I'll put that.

Choices are yours, update or not, it's a free country (kinda).

Froze

Opinions purely mine 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors