Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Win7 EOS 1/20/2020

Yeah, it's been coming and now coming to the wire. Some are still using Windows 7 please just upgrade.

Win10 is an improvement - like better than 8 or 8.1.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-7-to-show-full-screen-windows-10-upgrade-ale...

The tool that enables extended support for Win7 is ILLEGAL to use, figure some might ask so, covering my posterior, and yours.*edit- someone asked in pm it's approx. 100 licenses on computers/kiosks/voting machines/ATM's/etc to cover legal extended support for Win7, at $25-100 per License on each installation. Guess what M$ won't be nice and WILL sue if you use an illegal extended support option."

It still may be capable of upgrading to Win10 for free, instructions in above link. It depends upon luck and prayers.

Otherwise prices go from $40-100 for disks and downloads.

You may be stuck in 32-bit or 64-bit software land depending upon hardware in your computer.

I realize everyone can't afford new systems just saying you have options but, really getting narrower.

Stores and on-line are selling refurbished running Win10 computers and laptops starting around $95-200. No there not new but, neither is your Windows7 computer.

Have fun shopping, if you upgrade back-up your data, some may be wiped from existence, like 32-bit programs.

Thrilled me when I pulled my back-up hard drives doing the 5-day old free upgrade whenever they came from M$.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky 

Did a google search and this popped up.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000493.htm

Instructions rang a bell, don't ask why but, I think in typical M$ brilliance some had to activate with click in radio box, and then disable -to make fix work.

I think the enable bs was only 1:100. Running less than brilliant Celerons or entry level processors.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky 

Did a google search and this popped up.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000493.htm

Instructions rang a bell, don't ask why but, I think in typical M$ brilliance some had to activate with click in radio box, and then disable -to make fix work.

I think the enable bs was only 1:100. Running less than brilliant Celerons or entry level processors.

Froze

That web page and others like it didn't exist in 2002.  It took 5 clicks to get there and and several to get back.  Theoretically, it would have been possible to right click the bubble to bring up a context menu that included "disable forever."  That would have required a total 2 clicks.

And, Microsoft continues to bury its obnoxious default settings many clicks deep.  Every time I install a new Windows OS, I have to spend days getting rid of Microsoft's obnoxious default settings.

The only ergonomic improvement I see in Win 10 is the search form on the task bar to help you find stuff buried 10 clicks deep.  And there is obnoxious advertising for things like, Candy Crush, that I spent weeks unsuccessfully trying to remove.  Eventually, it disappeared with an update.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The bottom line is "Don't fix it unless it is broke."

CORRECTION:

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

That said, Windows XP was broken from the start and Microsoft never fixed it with updates.  My favorite example is when the task bar suddenly went up, preventing me from reading messages on software status bars, and a bubble appeared with the caption "You have unused icons on your desktop."  And, then I would click the X in the bubble and 10 seconds later, the bubble would reappear.  And, this would happened even when I had only 5 icons on my desktop!  I will never forgive Microsoft for this.  The person responsible for this and all the yes men and women who surrounded that person deserve to burn in Hell.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky 

There was a common fix for XP Home and Pro versions of that issue but, my XP book isn't on my shelf.

I think it was gifted/borrowed only have a Commodore 64 book where it used to be.

Best I can recall you ran "Desktop Cleanup Wizard,

to uncheck Run cleanup mgr every 60 days and it would go away. 

Yes, there was a right click in Properties and an Ok/Save and OK again .

And it disappeared, never to reappear again.

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky 

There was a common fix for XP Home and Pro versions of that issue but, my XP book isn't on my shelf.

I think it was gifted/borrowed only have a Commodore 64 book where it used to be.

Best I can recall you ran "Desktop Cleanup Wizard,

to uncheck Run cleanup mgr every 60 days and it would go away. 

Yes, there was a right click in Properties and an Ok/Save and OK again .

And it disappeared, never to reappear again.

Froze

There is no "Run cleanup mgr" or "Properties" in the "Desktop Cleanup Wizard".

DesktopCleanupWizard1.png

DesktopCleanupWizard2.png

DesktopCleanupWizard3.png

Furthermore, when Win XP was my latest OS, I contacted Microsoft about the problem.  I followed their instructions and indeed the bubble disappeared.  But, the task bar still popped up with the same popping sound as before and there was no X to click to bring it down.

There seems to be a solution here:

http://www.subdude-site.com/WebPages_Local/RefInfo/Computer/Microsoft/StoppingMicrosoftPopups/Stoppi...

which didn't exist in 2002.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

"Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020" 

"How to stop automatic updates on Windows 10" (Note: non-MicroSoft site) 

The second article offers both non-technical (temporary postponement) and technical (permanent) steps.

hth

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

The second article offers both non-technical (temporary postponement) and technical (permanent) steps.

hth

Thanks.   I missed that because authors of such articles conflated "turn off" with "delay."  Only the permanent solution matters.  It is more convenient in Win 7.  The rational thing to do is backup Win 10 with updates turned on until something goes wrong and, after restoring from the backup, turn the updates off.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Good for you! Continue your life with liife, with

@aruzinsky wrote:

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

hth

Thanks.   I missed that because authors of such articles conflated "turn off" with "delay."  Only the permanent solution matters.  It is more convenient in Win 7.  The rational thing to do is backup Win 10 with updates turned on until something goes wrong and, after restoring from the backup, turn the updates off.

W7..

...perhaps Apple is a better option for some; I personally can't afford the hardware... OS...

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

Good for you! Continue your life with liife, with

@aruzinsky wrote:

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

hth

W7..

...perhaps Apple is a better option for some; I personally can't afford the hardware... OS...

Long Island International Film Festival?

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

... Some are still using Windows 7 please just upgrade. ...

Froze

No, no, no.  Planned obsolescence is evil.  I intentionally did not update my Win 7 for 3 years without any dire consequences.  That is anecdotal evidence that updating is unnecessary.  Instead of giving your opinion, which I consider worthless, you should cite empirical evidence of people suffering from not updating.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky 

Do you feel better now.😇 Only feel slightly tempted to ask how you lived 3 years into this timeline to avoid updating an OS that only now, has hit the deceased mark for updates.🤣

Do you have a Time Machine in your Ryzen? Intel I9 allows hyperthreading😇.

Empirical evidence you'll need to look for yourself. You like it keep using it, same as XP, 95, or 3.1.

So, you won't get updates, patches, cumulatives. Big deal no problem. M$ will tell you to blow bubbles if things happen.

M$ won't be there to help you

AntiVirus programs, Java, Citrix, Adobe, AMD or Intel patches for little oopsies in coding at chip level - no problem.

If you want to use, I still have an every other OS unplugged from internet for recoveries. 

I still service milling machines that run DOS6.0 for logging or making furniture. Connect to the Internet not, often.

Manufacturers update for those milling machines, written by manufacturer of machine . The service contract from German manufacturer is good until 2025, they'll send a serviceman from Germany to fix.

Travel, housing, transport not covered but, labor is. It's amazing what 1988 for DOS 4.0 finally upgraded to 6.0 $$$ covered Service contracts covered for $100Million pieces of equipment, and $10 Million extra cost labor agreements good for 45 years.

Only one tech remains above ground in Düsseldorf. He's been to camp wants to retire really soon😆 76 journeys around the sun for him, I know what he wants.67 complete cycles for me.

But, back to empirical for bugs found through the years I like ability to fix/patch vs I'd need a code writer and disassembler, etc

Am I plugging an old poc into my network heck no. You want to you go.

How would you feel if your bank was still XP home or pro in ATM's, same as the safe feeling you get using Windows 7 while banking, using charge or debit card on gas pump.🤣 As happy as you would finding you could access Voting machines with a WiFi connection, or memory stick.

Ask Leo put into words what I can't easily express tonight and still exist on AARP. 

https://www.askleo.com/will-windows-7-keep-working-after-support-ends/amp/

Will apps still work or get updates still if so for how long. 
If you're in business do you like gambling.

Recently discovered were hiccups from some fixes for Y2K🤣 doom and gloom and they only took 20years to pop up .

Thankfully none of mine applies to BIOS found my disk in old shop a month ago, almost tossed and then read an article on ZDNet or any of the other newsletters, magazines or websites I still read daily.

You want to go off in search start with CERF and go forth. My opinion only 2 more years, I'm done, that's it. Unless some other whiz bang new tech pops that appeals to ME to research and perhaps start using.

Now, I can't delay need to buy new microscopes and reworking stations, flux, solder, stencils for making solder 🏀🏀, couldn't find a smaller Emoji etc. Really must never disassemble cellphones or ps4's. My curiosity is piqued again.🤣😎😇 And some machines have 3 Tb HDD in them, more playtoys. Personally I might enjoy following traces on a circuit board than disassembling code for an end of life Operating System.

And if you really miss XP as well, think someone just brought it back for entertainment only purposes. Same as the new Linux smart cell phone.PinePhone perhaps👍

Opinions expressed solely my own.

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky 

Do you feel better now.😇 Only feel slightly tempted to ask how you lived 3 years into this timeline to avoid updating an OS that only now, has hit the deceased mark for updates.🤣

Do you have a Time Machine in your Ryzen? Intel I9 allows hyperthreading😇.

Empirical evidence you'll need to look for yourself. You like it keep using it, same as XP, 95, or 3.1.

So, you won't get updates, patches, cumulatives. Big deal no problem. M$ will tell you to blow bubbles if things happen.

M$ won't be there to help you

AntiVirus programs, Java, Citrix, Adobe, AMD or Intel patches for little oopsies in coding at chip level - no problem.

If you want to use, I still have an every other OS unplugged from internet for recoveries. 

I still service milling machines that run DOS6.0 for logging or making furniture. Connect to the Internet not, often.

Manufacturers update for those milling machines, written by manufacturer of machine . The service contract from German manufacturer is good until 2025, they'll send a serviceman from Germany to fix.

Travel, housing, transport not covered but, labor is. It's amazing what 1988 for DOS 4.0 finally upgraded to 6.0 $$$ covered Service contracts covered for $100Million pieces of equipment, and $10 Million extra cost labor agreements good for 45 years.

Only one tech remains above ground in Düsseldorf. He's been to camp wants to retire really soon😆 76 journeys around the sun for him, I know what he wants.67 complete cycles for me.

But, back to empirical for bugs found through the years I like ability to fix/patch vs I'd need a code writer and disassembler, etc

Am I plugging an old poc into my network heck no. You want to you go.

How would you feel if your bank was still XP home or pro in ATM's, same as the safe feeling you get using Windows 7 while banking, using charge or debit card on gas pump.🤣 As happy as you would finding you could access Voting machines with a WiFi connection, or memory stick.

Ask Leo put into words what I can't easily express tonight and still exist on AARP. 

https://www.askleo.com/will-windows-7-keep-working-after-support-ends/amp/

Will apps still work or get updates still if so for how long. 
If you're in business do you like gambling.

Recently discovered were hiccups from some fixes for Y2K🤣 doom and gloom and they only took 20years to pop up .

Thankfully none of mine applies to BIOS found my disk in old shop a month ago, almost tossed and then read an article on ZDNet or any of the other newsletters, magazines or websites I still read daily.

You want to go off in search start with CERF and go forth. My opinion only 2 more years, I'm done, that's it. Unless some other whiz bang new tech pops that appeals to ME to research and perhaps start using.

Now, I can't delay need to buy new microscopes and reworking stations, flux, solder, stencils for making solder 🏀🏀, couldn't find a smaller Emoji etc. Really must never disassemble cellphones or ps4's. My curiosity is piqued again.🤣😎😇 And some machines have 3 Tb HDD in them, more playtoys. Personally I might enjoy following traces on a circuit board than disassembling code for an end of life Operating System.

And if you really miss XP as well, think someone just brought it back for entertainment only purposes. Same as the new Linux smart cell phone.PinePhone perhaps👍

Opinions expressed solely my own.

Froze

Verbose theory is not a good substitute for empirical evidence.  I want to know the actual statistics on the number of people harmed by not upgrading their operating systems.

Incidentally, since you can't turn off updates in Win 10 (without disconnecting Internet), it would be theoretically possible for Microsoft to render everybody's Win 10 inoperative.  According to your thinking, people should disregard the empirical fact that Microsoft never did this before and the theory that Microsoft can do it is reason enough to not update Win 7 to Win 10.  Microsoft can't turn off my Win 7, even, if it wanted to.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

First-

CERT not CERF do a search for -

https://cve.mitre.org/cve/ And do a indexsearch by year for vulnerabilities discovered

You CAN turn off Windows 10 updates - you expressed distrust in my opinion so, first msg. Perhaps.😎

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0vXviGToM 

or merely do a google/bing search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nimber+of+people+harmed+by+not+upgradin+Operating+Systems+to+latest&...

Or try the above link , ever type with your thumbs on a cold day with frost heaves.🤣 in a 6x6 without spilling your coffee/expresso beverage of moment.

Of turning off updates in Windows 10. Do it at your own risk. I typically may depending upon feedback from my groups kill most updates if buggy. Until patch for the fix (some are buggy😆) if clear sailing it's let 'em rip.

Worst that may happen with out Update or backup -saves to external HDD or tapes (still have a few of them) is your HDD goes to heck.

Data is swiped etc.

I recover iphones, ipads,Windows all, Mac's - prices are good. I love lack of backups.

I void warranties sometimes (Apple products) reason for microscopes, and solder reworking stations, etc. After Apple Joi Bois say you can trade your non-functioning phone for a new one but, if you didn't do update or save to the cloud we can't get your data back.🤣

Androids are a PITA, the worst case scenario is you lose 💩, I'd love to give actual info. But, for some customers it to protect innocents, for other oaths signed so, no names will ever be mentioned.

💩 happens, stuff fails or is made to fail by lack of updates.

Read a ZDNet, Cult of MAC, Sophos,etc for issues with viruses, malware,security breaches , etc.

Remember the credit bureau that failed to update with an easy patch (Equifax) from M$ , And the number of people that had their data taken in the Millions.

Similar you can read,  (I get 30 warnings /exploits or more per day)Some is white hat, some are black 🎩 and how to do's.

Have had 4 Popups on phone since beginning writing of this ditty of new hacks for medical databases( name, social, address, health treatments, medical insurances and numbers) let it ride.

You want problems don't do anything to protect your computer or data stored on it.

You don't want problems update it or not it's your choice.

When I read of an issue, with update, I post it. Or if I don't have an issue and I'm running my old Win7 I7, upgraded to Win10 Home, I post that.

Same with my new I9 Win10 Pro 64 Gb, and 2 Tb HDD the same, no issue or a WTF moment I'll put that.

Choices are yours, update or not, it's a free country (kinda).

Froze

Opinions purely mine 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I'll add this link too for those still using Windows 7.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020/...

Here is another link that is important about the EOS for Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/end-of-support-for-microsoft-security-essentia...

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP