Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Win7 EOS 1/20/2020

Message 11 of 15

@Frozenoem wrote:

@aruzinsky 

Do you feel better now.😇 Only feel slightly tempted to ask how you lived 3 years into this timeline to avoid updating an OS that only now, has hit the deceased mark for updates.🤣

Do you have a Time Machine in your Ryzen? Intel I9 allows hyperthreading😇.

Empirical evidence you'll need to look for yourself. You like it keep using it, same as XP, 95, or 3.1.

So, you won't get updates, patches, cumulatives. Big deal no problem. M$ will tell you to blow bubbles if things happen.

M$ won't be there to help you

AntiVirus programs, Java, Citrix, Adobe, AMD or Intel patches for little oopsies in coding at chip level - no problem.

If you want to use, I still have an every other OS unplugged from internet for recoveries. 

I still service milling machines that run DOS6.0 for logging or making furniture. Connect to the Internet not, often.

Manufacturers update for those milling machines, written by manufacturer of machine . The service contract from German manufacturer is good until 2025, they'll send a serviceman from Germany to fix.

Travel, housing, transport not covered but, labor is. It's amazing what 1988 for DOS 4.0 finally upgraded to 6.0 $$$ covered Service contracts covered for $100Million pieces of equipment, and $10 Million extra cost labor agreements good for 45 years.

Only one tech remains above ground in Düsseldorf. He's been to camp wants to retire really soon😆 76 journeys around the sun for him, I know what he wants.67 complete cycles for me.

But, back to empirical for bugs found through the years I like ability to fix/patch vs I'd need a code writer and disassembler, etc

Am I plugging an old poc into my network heck no. You want to you go.

How would you feel if your bank was still XP home or pro in ATM's, same as the safe feeling you get using Windows 7 while banking, using charge or debit card on gas pump.🤣 As happy as you would finding you could access Voting machines with a WiFi connection, or memory stick.

Ask Leo put into words what I can't easily express tonight and still exist on AARP. 

https://www.askleo.com/will-windows-7-keep-working-after-support-ends/amp/

Will apps still work or get updates still if so for how long. 
If you're in business do you like gambling.

Recently discovered were hiccups from some fixes for Y2K🤣 doom and gloom and they only took 20years to pop up .

Thankfully none of mine applies to BIOS found my disk in old shop a month ago, almost tossed and then read an article on ZDNet or any of the other newsletters, magazines or websites I still read daily.

You want to go off in search start with CERF and go forth. My opinion only 2 more years, I'm done, that's it. Unless some other whiz bang new tech pops that appeals to ME to research and perhaps start using.

Now, I can't delay need to buy new microscopes and reworking stations, flux, solder, stencils for making solder 🏀🏀, couldn't find a smaller Emoji etc. Really must never disassemble cellphones or ps4's. My curiosity is piqued again.🤣😎😇 And some machines have 3 Tb HDD in them, more playtoys. Personally I might enjoy following traces on a circuit board than disassembling code for an end of life Operating System.

And if you really miss XP as well, think someone just brought it back for entertainment only purposes. Same as the new Linux smart cell phone.PinePhone perhaps👍

Opinions expressed solely my own.

Froze

Verbose theory is not a good substitute for empirical evidence.  I want to know the actual statistics on the number of people harmed by not upgrading their operating systems.

Incidentally, since you can't turn off updates in Win 10 (without disconnecting Internet), it would be theoretically possible for Microsoft to render everybody's Win 10 inoperative.  According to your thinking, people should disregard the empirical fact that Microsoft never did this before and the theory that Microsoft can do it is reason enough to not update Win 7 to Win 10.  Microsoft can't turn off my Win 7, even, if it wanted to.

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 15

@aruzinsky 

Do you feel better now.😇 Only feel slightly tempted to ask how you lived 3 years into this timeline to avoid updating an OS that only now, has hit the deceased mark for updates.🤣

Do you have a Time Machine in your Ryzen? Intel I9 allows hyperthreading😇.

Empirical evidence you'll need to look for yourself. You like it keep using it, same as XP, 95, or 3.1.

So, you won't get updates, patches, cumulatives. Big deal no problem. M$ will tell you to blow bubbles if things happen.

M$ won't be there to help you

AntiVirus programs, Java, Citrix, Adobe, AMD or Intel patches for little oopsies in coding at chip level - no problem.

If you want to use, I still have an every other OS unplugged from internet for recoveries. 

I still service milling machines that run DOS6.0 for logging or making furniture. Connect to the Internet not, often.

Manufacturers update for those milling machines, written by manufacturer of machine . The service contract from German manufacturer is good until 2025, they'll send a serviceman from Germany to fix.

Travel, housing, transport not covered but, labor is. It's amazing what 1988 for DOS 4.0 finally upgraded to 6.0 $$$ covered Service contracts covered for $100Million pieces of equipment, and $10 Million extra cost labor agreements good for 45 years.

Only one tech remains above ground in Düsseldorf. He's been to camp wants to retire really soon😆 76 journeys around the sun for him, I know what he wants.67 complete cycles for me.

But, back to empirical for bugs found through the years I like ability to fix/patch vs I'd need a code writer and disassembler, etc

Am I plugging an old poc into my network heck no. You want to you go.

How would you feel if your bank was still XP home or pro in ATM's, same as the safe feeling you get using Windows 7 while banking, using charge or debit card on gas pump.🤣 As happy as you would finding you could access Voting machines with a WiFi connection, or memory stick.

Ask Leo put into words what I can't easily express tonight and still exist on AARP. 

https://www.askleo.com/will-windows-7-keep-working-after-support-ends/amp/

Will apps still work or get updates still if so for how long. 
If you're in business do you like gambling.

Recently discovered were hiccups from some fixes for Y2K🤣 doom and gloom and they only took 20years to pop up .

Thankfully none of mine applies to BIOS found my disk in old shop a month ago, almost tossed and then read an article on ZDNet or any of the other newsletters, magazines or websites I still read daily.

You want to go off in search start with CERF and go forth. My opinion only 2 more years, I'm done, that's it. Unless some other whiz bang new tech pops that appeals to ME to research and perhaps start using.

Now, I can't delay need to buy new microscopes and reworking stations, flux, solder, stencils for making solder 🏀🏀, couldn't find a smaller Emoji etc. Really must never disassemble cellphones or ps4's. My curiosity is piqued again.🤣😎😇 And some machines have 3 Tb HDD in them, more playtoys. Personally I might enjoy following traces on a circuit board than disassembling code for an end of life Operating System.

And if you really miss XP as well, think someone just brought it back for entertainment only purposes. Same as the new Linux smart cell phone.PinePhone perhaps👍

Opinions expressed solely my own.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 15

@Frozenoem wrote:

... Some are still using Windows 7 please just upgrade. ...

Froze

No, no, no.  Planned obsolescence is evil.  I intentionally did not update my Win 7 for 3 years without any dire consequences.  That is anecdotal evidence that updating is unnecessary.  Instead of giving your opinion, which I consider worthless, you should cite empirical evidence of people suffering from not updating.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 15

I'll add this link too for those still using Windows 7.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020/...

Here is another link that is important about the EOS for Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/end-of-support-for-microsoft-security-essentia...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Win7 EOS 1/20/2020

Message 15 of 15

Yeah, it's been coming and now coming to the wire. Some are still using Windows 7 please just upgrade.

Win10 is an improvement - like better than 8 or 8.1.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-7-to-show-full-screen-windows-10-upgrade-ale...

The tool that enables extended support for Win7 is ILLEGAL to use, figure some might ask so, covering my posterior, and yours.*edit- someone asked in pm it's approx. 100 licenses on computers/kiosks/voting machines/ATM's/etc to cover legal extended support for Win7, at $25-100 per License on each installation. Guess what M$ won't be nice and WILL sue if you use an illegal extended support option."

It still may be capable of upgrading to Win10 for free, instructions in above link. It depends upon luck and prayers.

Otherwise prices go from $40-100 for disks and downloads.

You may be stuck in 32-bit or 64-bit software land depending upon hardware in your computer.

I realize everyone can't afford new systems just saying you have options but, really getting narrower.

Stores and on-line are selling refurbished running Win10 computers and laptops starting around $95-200. No there not new but, neither is your Windows7 computer.

Have fun shopping, if you upgrade back-up your data, some may be wiped from existence, like 32-bit programs.

Thrilled me when I pulled my back-up hard drives doing the 5-day old free upgrade whenever they came from M$.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors